Oct. 16/17, Rochester vs St. John's, 6 PM

dlbalr

He had a great game, but when his totals for his other 3 games are 0,0,0 i think we are going to need more than one game to say he will be capable of being a consistent scoring.

Lets not forget that the last two habs players to score 4 goals in a game are Jan Bulis and Lars Eller, neither of whom has proven to be a consistent scorer (though some still hope Eller will be)....

Overall great game for McCarron, but now he has to follow it up.

I am not the least bit anxious about Big Mac's future as a hockey player in the NHL. I have seen enough of him so far, particularly in the games he played in the last training camps, to feel quite sure that he will fit nicely with more mature players. It is just a question of time. The big guy will silence the naysayers.

I am not the least bit anxious about Big Mac's future as a hockey player in the NHL. I have seen enough of him so far, particularly in the games he played in the last training camps, to feel quite sure that he will fit nicely with more mature players. It is just a question of time. The big guy will silence the naysayers.

Playing in the NHL... and being a scorer in the NHL are two different things.

I stand by my Brian Boyle assessment... useful yes, but when similar players (or Boyle himself) are available in free agency, and relatviely cheaply... thats not where i want to use first round picks.

I'd rather go high risk high reward... cause 1 PK Subban or Max Pacioretty and 3 busts is fine with me.... 1 max is worth 4 boyle, chipchura, etc bottom line types in a trade.

Can we just give McCarron at least ONE NHL season before calling him a NHL bust ? (or a Brian Boyle for that matter)

What if he finishes his 1st NHL season with 12 goals ?

Guest Stogey24

I think we should all be pretty happy about McCarron at this point. He's steadily improving. Pretty sure that's what you want a prospect to do

I think we should all be pretty happy about McCarron at this point. He's steadily improving. Pretty sure that's what you want a prospect to do

exactly, he is hardly looking like a bust as some were so quick to suggest, in every aspect i've watched so far this year, Rookie camp, training camp, and now AHL, he is looking like a steady force in the role he has been pegged since the start. Are we talking about a 30 goal scorer here? No i don't think so, but I do see the makings of a big strong 3rd line center with some offensive upside in his future. Yes it is only one game, but his overall game has been steady, and his production will never be elite, but he plays the game hard nosed and physical, he has net presence and strong board play, and if he marries that with some scoring upside we have a player in the system we have not had in a long time.

I see a player on an upswing in his development and his career from year to year, and I just simply disagree with any notion that he is going to be a bust, he seems every bit capable of filling the role intended for him when he was drafted. That role is not to be the next Lindros, it is a happy marriage of Brian Boyle and a productive Bryan Bickel, slotted in on our 3rd line providing us with a valuable player contributing in ways only players like him, of his size, and his style can contribute.

Can we just give McCarron at least ONE NHL season before calling him a NHL bust ? (or a Brian Boyle for that matter)

What if he finishes his 1st NHL season with 12 goals ?

We talk about prospects and try to project there future all the time..... If you don't want to talk about prospects, you should probably just avoid threads about them. Just cause they are a Habs prospect doesn't mean you can't be critical of him. I've watched the guy since he was 16.... probably more than anyone on this board. I've personally interviewed him 3 or 4 times now. P

I didn't say he'd be a bust, I said he'd be a bottom six NHLer with limited offence.

As for your what if? what ifs can be done with anyone... what if Torrey Mitchell scores 15 goals this year?? Sure if he comes in the NHL and scores 12 goals, we readjust perceptions, but thats no different with McCarron than it is with anyone else.

exactly, he is hardly looking like a bust as some were so quick to suggest, in every aspect i've watched so far this year, Rookie camp, training camp, and now AHL, he is looking like a steady force in the role he has been pegged since the start. Are we talking about a 30 goal scorer here? No i don't think so, but I do see the makings of a big strong 3rd line center with some offensive upside in his future. Yes it is only one game, but his overall game has been steady, and his production will never be elite, but he plays the game hard nosed and physical, he has net presence and strong board play, and if he marries that with some scoring upside we have a player in the system we have not had in a long time.

I see a player on an upswing in his development and his career from year to year, and I just simply disagree with any notion that he is going to be a bust, he seems every bit capable of filling the role intended for him when he was drafted. That role is not to be the next Lindros, it is a happy marriage of Brian Boyle and a productive Bryan Bickel, slotted in on our 3rd line providing us with a valuable player contributing in ways only players like him, of his size, and his style can contribute.

Question... what is a third line centre with some offensive upside?

Cause right now, its not that many points.... if we take the top 180 scoring forwards in the NHL (ie a top 6 for every NHL team)... the 181st best forward had 32 points.

If you are saying can he score 25-30 points as a third line centre? Ok maybe i can buy that as a ceiling for the guy....

But if you are saying flirting with 40 points as a centre (which is what you said earlier in the thread) i just can't see that, and that isn't a third liner, its a solid top 6 guy today.

40 points is a productive top 6 forward