Jan. 22/23, St. John's vs Albany

dlbalr

The IceCaps (17-14-6-3) will be in tough as they look to snap an ugly stretch (they have the worst record in the AHL in the last 10 games...this seems familiar for some odd reason) as they travel to Albany to take on the Devils (23-9-6-0) for a pair of games.

Victor Bartley left Wednesday's game with an injury while Bud Holloway didn't suit up. Their statuses for this weekend are unknown.

15stj_500.gif

Lessio - McCarron - Scherbak

Hudon - Eisenschmid - Andrighetto

Bournival - Dumont - Friberg

Scott - MacMillan - Gregoire

Hanley - Lernout

Ellis - Dietz

Johnston - Didier

Fucale

14alb_500.gif

(Based on previous +/- data.)

Lorito - O'Neill - Sislo

Thompson - O'Brien - Tropp

Pietila - Kujawinski - Black

Thomson - Pelley - McKelvie

Gragnani - Scarlett

Helgeson - Mozik

Kelly - McPherson

Danis

Puck drop is at 7:00 PM EST on Friday and 2 PM EST on Saturday, AM 930 has the call.

Lessio on top line?

That's how they're listed. My bigger question is why is Scherbak there? He's just coming back from injury and wasn't doing anything before getting hurt. Lessio, at least, has been a pretty good point producer since being acquired.

1-0 Devils in the 1st, 3:44 to go.

Hudon's issue mustn't have been too bad as he's back in today. The only change is between the pipes where Pasquale gets the nod.

Thats good news, the announcer said "he looks groggy" and I was worried about a concussion.

Andrighetto scores for the third straight game, this one on the PP. 2-0 now after 2.

A random factoid, one of the linesman for this game played for Albany until 2012. (He played for the Marlies as recent as February 2014.)

Guest Stogey24

Nice.

Ellis is 12th in d-scoring, Holloway 9th overall and McCarron 6th in rookie scoring.

Both goalies were stars, also good to hear.

Ellis having a breakout year?

dlbalr likely has a more logical reasoning, but I would guess the shortage of good d-men has pushed Ellis to top minutes and more PP time. But he has been scoring on some nice shots as well, so maybe a bit of breakout as well for sure (he couldn't even make top six last year till injuries cropped up, he played 39 ECHL games last year).

dlbalr likely has a more logical reasoning, but I would guess the shortage of good d-men has pushed Ellis to top minutes and more PP time. But he has been scoring on some nice shots as well, so maybe a bit of breakout as well for sure (he couldn't even make top six last year till injuries cropped up, he played 39 ECHL games last year).

I suspect it's a combination of a few things. He's getting a lot more ice time this year since St. John's defence is, to put it nicely, not very good. He showed in his ECHL stint last year that he had some offensive upside (though short of a good couple of weeks in Hamilton last year, it didn't carry over). Plus, he's a year older and the extra bit of maturity can pay dividends - we saw that from him back in junior.