2005 NHL Entry Draft Thread

puck7x

<center><font face="Arial" color="#FFFFFF">

<span style="font-weight: 700; background-color: #000080"><font size=3><a href="http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=822"><b><font color=white>HW's 2005 Draft Centre</b></a></font size></span></font></center></font color>

All (most) pre-draft talk should go here. When the draft day arrives we'll have a live draft thread...

TSN's Draft Section: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/

Top 30 prospects: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/feature.asp?fid=7329

TSN Mock draft: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/feature.asp?fid=7065

CSB Rankings: <a href="http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=805">CLICK HERE</a>

Alex Stream's Top-5: <a href="http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=820">CLICK HERE</a>

HW's Draft Pool: <a href="http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=817">CLICK HERE</a>

Prospect-us by Matt Goodbout: <a href="http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=794">CLICK HERE!</a>

<hr>

So I hear this Crosby kid is pretty good ;) , think he'll go #1?

Go draft Go!

[Edited on 2005-7-25 by puck7x]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like TSN has an error on their order of drafting. According to them... Washington has the #1 pick.

And they consider themselves one of Canada's leading sports networks? I believe we deserve more consideration ;);) .

It's all a guessing game, in the end but...

Streamer's list seems reasonable, just like TSN's. Not a whole lot of difference there anyways (we are talking only about the 1st five) so, I won't make any massive disagreements.

I will wander into wonderland for a bit... I'll guess that BG would like to have Johnson and will offer a package for it. Starting with Anaheim, he'll state his obvious intention and reason (why not... Anaheim is in the other conference and would only meet Montreal once every couple of years). A possible package would be:

1) a switch of first picks

2) a 'growing' list of options + second pick, + Plekanec, + Hossa, + third pick, etc. but not ad nauseum or ad 'oblivium'

If Anaheim says NO and picks Johnson (as many predict), well... good try.

If Anaheim picks someone else (Ryan?) then try again with Carolina and Minnesota - same scenario. The biggest challenge here might be Carolina (same conference but different division, then again, they only meet four times a year).

Hey, it's not quite a realistic draft preview but... hey, it could happen.

Bottom line though,

:ghg:

I personally think that it won't happen... the 3 teams ahead of us are not the depest defensively and will be really glad to jump on Johnson... So that we would basically have to overpay to get the guy...

so I'm pretty sure we pick at 5 no matter what.

However, it's almost a fact by now that Perez and Higgins make the club (read the comments of Andre Savard and Claude Julien on them) so that it leaves room to trade some other prospect (need I name plekanec?) along with our too high 2nd rounder for a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder and grab a quality D there Lashoff, Lee, Kindl or even add a bit more and get the pick for Parent, Staal, Bourdon.

I dont believe in trading down for a position pick.

We're in a spot where we can get a real bluechipper for the first time since God knows when. We should be all over this pick regardless of who's available when our turn comes.

There's always opportunities to trade for another first rounder to pick a d-man without sacrificing our 5th overall.

Originally posted by ap79

I dont believe in trading down for a position pick.  

We're in a spot where we can get a real bluechipper for the first time since God knows when. We should be all over this pick regardless of who's available when our turn comes.

There's always opportunities to trade for another first rounder to pick a d-man without sacrificing our 5th overall.

Whats up with you today... can't you read !!! :guru:

I never ever mentionned trading down!!!

I said:

-we can't trade up

-we might be able to get an additional late 1st rounder for our 2nd rounder and some prospects NOT TRADING DOWN :wall:

now reread and appologize please :D

Here's my take on it all...

2 - ANAHEIM

They'll will pick Johnson unless they get an offer they can't refuse involving a defenseman of comparable quality.

Unlikely to happen unless someone like Florida puts Bouwmeester on the table to swap for Johnson (Johnson seems much a Keenan-type than J-Bo) or if Chicago puts Barker on the table.

In any case, Johnson will go 2nd and Habs can't do anything about it. All these packages for the 2nd pick mentionned so far dont give Anaheim anything much than a bunch of offensive prospects, when they're already full of them.

3 - CAROLINA

The Canes dont have much depth in the system prospects-wise. They need to add more kids so its unlikely they'll deal their picks. At this point Philly might step in to get Ryan. The best they could offer in terms of kids is probably Mike Richard + something else. I highly doubt they'll trade Carter to pick Ryan.

Carolina could always have the opportunity to trade down a few spots and pick Marc Staal. I dont think they'd trade down within the top 6, so it'd be with Chicago (7th), Atlanta (8th), Ottawa (9th) or Vancouver (10th).

Now Carolina guesses that Chicago won't draft another d-man in the first round, so they can trade as far down as 8th. But that also means Chicago would probably pick O'Marra or Bourret, leaving Atlanta with Staal as their best option. Ottawa would probably pick a forward or a goalie, and Vancouver a defenseman if they can.

So the most likely trading-down partner for Carolina are Chicago & Atlanta. I see Chicago go for Brulé, and Atlanta for Kopitar. Chicago is the most likely to trade up.

Prediction: Ryan or Brulé is gone

4 - MINNESOTA

If Carolina trades the pick, Ryan will slip to Minnesota and and they either pick him or trade him to Philly. If Carolina picks, Minnesota is left with Pouliot, Brulé & Kopitar to pick from. Their draftingt trend is to go with talent and coachability. That almost excludes Brulé from the go. Seems like a toss up between Kopitar & Pouliot. I'd put Pouliot here.

Prediction: Ryan or Pouliot is gone.

5 - MONTREAL

So Ryan leaves at 3rd or 4th. Habs are left with Kopitar/Brulé/Pouliot. Kopitar/Brulé having the highest odds of being available here. Seeing how Brulé is drawing comparison to Peca and AS went hard for Peca back when Buffalo wanted to trade him, I think Brulé would be the favorite amongst the Habs brass over Kopitar.

Prediction: Gilbert Brulé.

Originally posted by alexstream

[

Whats up with you today... can't you read !!!  :guru:

I never ever mentionned trading down!!!  

I said:

-we can't trade up

-we might be able to get an additional late 1st rounder for our 2nd rounder and some prospects NOT TRADING DOWN :wall:

now reread and appologize please :D

Who said I was replying to your message? I didnt quote you, now did I?

YOU apologize now! Come on!

[Edited on 24-7-2005 by ap79]

Originally posted by ap79

Who said I was replying to your message? I didnt quote you, now did I?

YOU apologize now! Come on!  

[Edited on 24-7-2005 by ap79]

you're post was right after mine and no one talked about trading down anyway so i feel aimed at... and im getting used to you misreading what i write... :D

Unless, the Habs manage to trade up into the top 2 spots and draft Crosby or Johnson, (I think that is very possible), they would have been just as well off to have the 30th and 31st picks in the draft than the 5th and 56th. Probably better off. From #3 on, there are serious concerns about all the prospects. Pouliot?:eyes:. C'mon, he is nearly as old as Evgeny Malkin and has done absolutely nothing at the major junior level. Petr Taticek all over again. Brule is way too tightly wound, and his body won't hold up to his style of play. Scotty Upshall or Jamie Lundmark. Bobby Ryan has had a very strange past and I can't help thinking it will affect his future. Sheldon Keefe?:idea: Anze Kopitar is way too reminscent of Kostitsyn for my liking. Very few of these hotshots from non hockey powers ever make it. There were several Swiss players taken high, some Germans. I think that Marco Sturm is the only skater who has justified his first round selection.

Beckham, how do you think we have a shot at trading for Pick #1 or 2 ?

Looks impossible for me. Especially Crosby.. Crosby is the real deal. What could they want more??! Unless for a money matter, Crosby will never be traded

Originally posted by beckham

Unless, the Habs manage to trade up into the top 2 spots and draft Crosby or Johnson, (I think that is very possible)

You must be on some really good stuff tonight, man. Trading up for Crosby? Do you think the Penguins are stupid? Crosby is a guy with a shot to save their team, keep it in Pitt, and get a new arena. The Habs could trade the entire Hamilton team and not give them a guy who could possibly do that. Of all the crazy things you've said, this is the nuttiest. :lol:

to be fair to beckham, gainey has spoken about approaching pitt with some offers.... i dont think he'll be successful. He wouldnt just be sending prospects imo, something like ryder would have to be in the deal.

Never rule trading out out.

Sure, odds are rather large against us. But then again, it's been done before. Anyone remember Lindros?

Also, Beckham said Crosby OR Johnson. Johnson's probably a lot more probable if we were to trade up, although what we stand to lose might not be worth it.

All we can do is wait til the draft. Gainey's great at last-minute surprises. I'd love to invite him to a birthday party :D

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

Sure, odds are rather large against us. But then again, it's been done before. Anyone remember Lindros?

Lindros also forced the issue, refusing to play for Quebec, which is exactly when I started to hate him. I hate guys who think they should be able to just say they refuse to play for the team that drafted them. (For this reason I also hate NFLers Eli Manning and John Elway.)

Also, Beckham said Crosby OR Johnson. Johnson's probably a lot more probable if we were to trade up, although what we stand to lose might not be worth it.

That's why I didn't laugh at him for discussing Johnson. With him, we at least would have a shot of getting. But nobody in the Habs organization has the potential to do for Pitt that Sidney does. He may not even pan out, but he has the potential to save the franchise.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33
Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

Lindros also forced the issue, refusing to play for Quebec, which is exactly when I started to hate him. I hate guys who think they should be able to just say they refuse to play for the team that drafted them. (For this reason I also hate NFLers Eli Manning and John Elway.)

I have to disagree. I believe that people should have more say in where they go. There should be major restrictions on it, but for a freshfaced 18 year old (or even 16 year old, he faced it back then too), the bewilderment is immense.

If I had any hockey talent whatsoever, and I was eligible for the draft, I would do whatever I had to to get to play for Montreal. I'm a passionate Habs fan, what can I say.

I believe the NHL should have, say, a two year exclusion for the league should you, at age 18, decide you don't want to be drafted, because you don't want to play for a team. Perhaps they could go to Europe, or somewhere else. It would be a hard penance to pay, and the two years would take forever. But then you could sign as a FA to the team of your choice.

Imagine if you were the next Gretzky, and Toronto drafted you. Can you say :puke:? (Actually, I'd rather you didn't, it wouldn't be a pretty sight!)

I'm not a native Quebecois (just one at heart), and I know the Lindros issue is quite a sore point. All I have to say is:

FFS, get over it!

- Quebec won the deal in the end

- Once again, it's proven that Karma reigns supreme

- Good things come to those who wait, and

- Toronto? Yeesh. If I were Colaiacovo, what I wouldn't give for a ticket outta there. It'd be like playing pond hockey with your grandfather!

</scandal>

Originally posted by beckham

Maybe because they are all "B" Pool hockey powers, simpleton. Along with Belarus.

So all players from this countries shouldn't be taken because they're in the "B" pool? Sounds like a nice theory, I want to hear more of this.

BTW. Suisse and Belarus is no "B" pool country ... :P

1. He has a 10 million dollar offer to play 40 game seasons with little travel in Switzerland. So if he really wants to play in Montreal, he has a lot of leverage to make it happen.

2. Pens have Malkin who is as close to Crosby as a prospect as you're going to get. If they make a lot of concessions to sign Crosby, they could lose Malkin who has a pretty cushy deal in Russia.

maybe im just naive, but crosby isnt striking me as the type to force a trade. He seems eminently "coachable"..... the draft says he plays in pitt, he plays in pitt. If patrick makes a deal to send him to montreal, he plays in montreal. He seems like a good soldier