Pronger Traded to EDMONTON

puck7x

Holy crap!

traded defenceman Chris Pronger to the Edmonton Oilers for defencemen Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch and Jeff Woywitka.

www.tsn.ca

Its about time Edmonton acquired a star player from STL in return for prospects... Its always the other way around.

Wow... now that's a trade. Never thought I'd reall see them trade Brewer. I think Pronger will be a good fit there though.

I have a feeling this makes Edmonton a much more interesting place for UFA's now.

Short term maybe this LOOKS better for Edmonton but mid and long-term, Edmonton loses out big time on this deal Brewer is more than adequate, Woywitka is a top end defensive prospect and Lynch is a solid third pair defenseman. The oldest of the three is 26. Lots of down the road stuff to work with here.

Pronger may be a franchise defenseman but, if he's the only one of consequence in front of Conklin, then that makes for a big hole when he's resting on the bench. Aside from Semenov, the others are third pair or fill-in players. Pronger at 30 still has many years left in him but how many of these will be in Edmonton? Not many, I expect. As soon as this contract is done, he's gone somewhere else.

I'm glad that Gainey isn't doing something like that. It's like what Toronto and New York Rangers have been doing for years.

Ah... this generation of instant gratification.

Was thinking the same as habsfan19, this kind of deal is great to see in the new NHL. Whether or not it works out in the long term having a player of that caliber in Edmonton gives hope to all.