Holy Macaroni!!! (Vinny Article)

alexstream

Lapresse article about how Vinny's relative are putting pressure on him, they want him to become UFA next offseason and come to Montreal...

Vinny Article

EDIT: Long URLs get messed up for some reason, but naming them using a little HTML usually works.

[Edited on 8-10-05 by Fanpuck33]

from what i remember when i read the article on the journal this morning, lecavalier said that the decision that he'll make shortly will guide his next 4-5 years career in the NHL~

he said that he would really appreciate to play in montreal~ PLUS he just bought a condomnium in downtown (montreal)

he said that a lot of people (family, friends and relatives) r trying to convince him to sign a 1 year contract with tampa and then come to montreal on 2006~ even people in the street (hockey fans ;)) sumtimes stopped him and have a lil 1-2 words with him and tell him to join the habs

he said that he grew up here (montreal) and of course he know it's a nice city for hockey, but he also like tampa (his sister is living there and his parents are coming there 3 months / year)~

he also said that he asked the point of view of many team mates and friends (hockey player that used to play in a canadian team and/or big market team and/or montreal) and there's a lots of positives and negatives points~

and about the *montreal pressure*, he said that pressure doesn't affect him much and if he join the habs, it'll be like a challenge (motivation i guess) for him to go through it~

:)

Thanks a bunch for the article's summary and good work too !

Always nice to hear about prospect UFA attracted to play here and Lecavalier could be a very real tenptation for the CH if and when he get to UFA, (the lenght of his next contract is unknown by now).

There as not been a premier center of that size for the Ch since Jean Beliveau and there's also an aura about him that remind me of Big Jean......if the maths fit the Ch reality of then,..he might just be one of the very few irresistible grab to come for a very long time.

Well, if it's true, then I'd be happy if the Habs could sign/trade for Lecavalier. However, I'm afraid of two things: first, a trade could hurt the Habs depth wise to obtain him. The players involved would be either Theodore/Koivu/Ribeiro plus Komisarek/Price/Perezhogin/Higgins, since Tampa would argue that they want top talent in return for their top player. Second, signing him as a UFA may put the Habs in a tough position cap wise, unless they have the room for him next season. That's where the resigning of Theodore comes into play, in either a short term or long term deal. A short term deal may be helpful for the Habs should they really want a chance to sign Lecavalier. A long term Theodore contract may not give them to room to also Lecavalier, especially since they've committed $4.5M for Kovalev over the next 4 seasons.

If you look at it from the Bolts point of view, they want Vinny signed long-term or they want a really good return for him. They aren't going to wait until the trade deadline next season when they'll be lowballed to trade him. Neither will they let him go if he hasn't signed a long-term deal - there's no point to that.

This is going to be one of the new trends of the game, in my opinon. Either long-term contracts keeping players stationary through their first years of UFAhood or a trade as much as a year before it happens to a place the player might wish to go to maximize their return.

Colin