Training camp (on-ice day #1)

puck7x

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Thanks, puck!

No problem. I'm just sorry I couldnt take more pictures, stupid me forgot to bring my memory card for the camera. Oh well... I'll be back tomorrow... and probably Friday/Saturday.

At the weigh in yesterdy

GOALIES :

Yann Dani 6'0/181lbs

Jaroslav Halak 5'11/174lbs

Olivier Michaud 5'11/178lbs

Carey Price 6'3/210lbs

José Théodore 5'11/182lbs

DEFENSMAN :

Jonathan Aitken 6'4/217lbs

Andrew Archer 6'4/220lbs

Andre Benoit 5'11/194lbs

Francis Bouillon 5'8/196lbs

J-Philippe Coté 6'2/216lbs

M. Dandenault 6'1/205lbs

Ron Hainsey 6'3/207lbs

M. Komisarek 6'4/241lbs

Kevin Lavallée 6'3/210lbs

Andrei Markov 6'0/200lbs

Jeff Paul 6'4/210lbs

Craig Rivet 6'2/205lbs

James Sandford 5'10/196lbs

Sheldon Sourray 6'4/226lbs

Mark Streit 6'0/196lbs

FORWARDS :

Steve Begin 6'0/188lbs

Radek Bonk 6'3/213lbs

Jimmy Bonneau 6'3/217lbs

Jan Bulis 6'0/208lbs

Kyle Chipchura 6'2/208lbs

Pierre Dagenais 6'5/218lbs

Jonathan Ferland 6'2/208lbs

Chris Higgins 6'0/192lbs

Marcel Hossa 6'2/218lbs

Raitis Ivanans 6'4/263lbs

Saku Koivu 5'10/184lbs

Andrei Kostitsyn 6'0/200lbs

Alex Kovalev 6'2/229lbs

Michael Lambert 6'2/223lbs

Mixim Lapierre 6'2/197lbs

G. Latendresse 6'2/225lbs

Francis Lemieux 5'11/181lbs

Corey Locke 5'9/173lbs

Duncan Milroy 6'1/203lbs

A. Perezhogin 6'0/205lbs

Tomas Plekanec 5'11/198lbs

Mike Ribeiro 6'0/175lbs

Michael Ryder 6'0/198lbs

Niklas Sundstrom 6'0/190lbs

Cory Urquhart 6'3/201lbs

Pete Vandermeer 6'1/205lbs

Richard Zednik 6'0/200lbs

Ok, I just had to go watch the practice and get my long overdue fix of habs hockey. Man that felt good.

So here's what I saw, and some thoughts, in no particular order:

- The place was packed, standing room only, three rows deep.

- I got there a little late and missed the first 15 minutes of scrimmage and it was 1-0 for the Reds. Final score, 3-0 Reds.

- The two best players were, surprise, surprise: Ribeiro and Kovalev. Kovalev set up the second goal with a beautiful feed to Locke after coming down the right wing, cutting into traffic in the slot while protecting the puck like only he can, got Price to commit, and then when everybody thought he would shoot he fed a beautiful pass to Locke across the crease who then just needed to push it in the net. Ribeiro also scored a beautiful goal on Price after a great move in the slot.

- Price saw a lot of action and after letting in the two above mentionned goals, on which he had no chance, he played very well. Very good technique and the guy looked incredibly calm. My first impression of him is very good.

- A couple of good hits, Bouillon on Hainsey who was trying to pinch, and Latendresse on Jeff Paul. Paul wasn't to happy about it and hooked Latendresse going back up the ice. After the whistle, they bumped and it looked like Paul wanted to go but nothing happened. Speaking of Latendresse, he got plenty of ice time, didn't look out of place and was in on a couple of good plays. Looks like a nice second round draft choice for the Habs.

- Streit looked good and wasn't afraid to pinch in on the play and almost scored doing so.

- Vandermeer isn't too bad for a goon. He worked hard and made some plays. Ivanans is one big boy. Komisarek tried to put a good hit on him and Ivanans barely moved. It'll be interesting to see how Ivanans, Vandermeer and Paul do during camp. They all looked pretty decent and I think one of them could make the team for when we need muscle.

- Ryder still seems to always find an open spot in the slot and he had a few good opportunities on some quick releases.

- There weren't any set lines as things kept getting mixed up.

- Oh, and I almost forgot, it was real good to not see Brisebois.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Originally posted by puck7x
Originally posted by les_glorieux

M. Komisarek 6'4/241lbs

Raitis Ivanans 6'4/263lbs

HAHAHAHA

Time for a diet guys.

I think Komisarek was drafted at 240 lbs. In his case, he probably is big-boned.

But Ivanans ar 263 lbs? Tabarnak! That one large mofo. Quick, convert him into a goalie!!!

Man, Kovalev at 229 is quite surprising. Didnt think he was so heavy.

Nice to see Latendresse at 225. He was drafted at 221, was barely 200 lbs a little more than a year ago.

Lambert at 223 is surprising. I dont even thing he was 200 lbs when we drafted him.

Kostitsyn looks alright there at 200. He should end up with a built similar to Bulis, which isn't too bad. Same with Perezhogin.

I think Lapierre at 197 is still a little underweight, especially if he's projecting to be a checking/agitator type of player. At 6-2 he should have the frame to add at least 10 lbs and play at 207.

Mike Ribeiro 6'0/175lbs

what happened to mickey ribs adding a few pounds?!

hahaha, he did. He was 150lb not to long ago. But it would still be nice to see him up around 190lb.

Originally posted by Makh2o

How did these guys look? Were they up to speed with the rest of the guys?

They did not look out of place, but did not really stand out either. To tell you the truth, I did not pay much attention to either of them today. I followed team-A (which included Perezhogin) but hardly watched any of team-B (Kostitsyn's). Perezhogin performed well in the drills, I can say that anyways.

As for the scrimmage game, neither stood out.

[Edited on 2005-9-14 by puck7x]

Originally posted by Makh2o

How did these guys look? Were they up to speed with the rest of the guys?

Perezhogin looked good and stood out a few times but Kostsitsyn was somewhat discreet. Then again, it's certainly gard to judge anyone after one scrimmage.

ohhhh happy to learn that kovy is reall in good shape haha~ thanx puck for the article!!! really detailed and ... YEAH!!! i want MORE pix of the guys!!! :D

Great report!

Love hearing about the new guys and I'm going to be jumping on the Latendresse band-wagon pretty soon if these reports keep up, he's certainly going to give the older guys a run for their spots. (Higgins, Plekz, etc.)

Hi, I'm new in there, somebody who was at the practice told me that Hainsey was real bad today and even got benched in 2nd period... That Hossa was still not giving his full effort... I just can't seem to figure what's in these guy's head... I mean, it's their last chance with the Habs, at least give your 100% in training camp... I'd really like to see Latendresse with Ribs and Rydsie... What a line it'd be... And just a question, was James Sanford there? Cause he's not on the image of the 2 teams rosters.

Good to see Olivier Michaud in camp. Surprised to see Perezhogin listed at 6-0, 205 pounds. If he really is that size, he has a chance to be a solid NHL player. In Russia he was listed at 5-9, 171 pounds, or something like that.

I don't think that Kostitsyn will be in the organization by this time next year.

Originally posted by Dalhabs

Im a little interested in Bouillon... I LOVED the way he played when he and Ryder helped my swedish team Leksand back up into the top league.

Well, it wasnt his best day of camp. He got turned inside out by both Latendresse and Ribeiro during the game, fell on his ass during one of those plays too. Other then that he was the same old Bouillon, we all know what he's capable of.

Originally posted by ch for life

hey just wondering how chipchura looked..any ill affects from the achilles thing as he was one of the best during drills and scrimmages at the last camp...

To be honest, Chipchura was kind of invisible. But let's not jump to any conclusions yet, it was only the first scrimmage after all.

On a different note, I wonder if Urquhart was hurt because he didn't play in the scrimmage and I only saw him taking shots on a goalie at the end. Maybe he has some kind of minor injury.