zednik

pfloro

has anyone heard if zednik is back tonight or not and if he is or when he is how can you not play perezhogin he is very deserving of sticking with the big club atleast until he shows otherwise (i dont think he will). i say keep him up with the first line move zednik to the second line and make room on the third or fourth line for dagenais, flip him with sundstrom and let them compete for a roster spot

the classic retort to any suggestion about putting zed on the second line has been that he has no chemistry with ribeiro...

I don't like that argument, it reeks to much of the whole "dags needs to be on the second line to play with ribeiro" argument. What does this say about ribeiro if he is so difficult to pair?

However, Zed isnt exactly what that line needs. If Julien wants to be really radical, he could do

Perez-koivu-kovalev

zednik-higgins-ryder

bulis-bonk-sundstrom

plek-ribeiro-begin

and make up time with ribeiro centering the 2nd PP unit.

Now, I dont think that this is necesarily the best idea i've ever had, and I think boo-birds and ribeiro would lose their mind, but maybe fun to discuss...

Perez-koivu-kovalev

zednik-higgins-ryder

bulis-bonk-sundstrom

plek-ribeiro-begin

You know, that's not such a bad idea. Zednik-Higgins-Ryder would be a very productive line, IMO.

How about Zednik-Begin-Plekanec? I think Begin has more offensive ability than he has shown so far (or has had the oportunity to show), remember he put up a lot of points in the AHL playoffs a few years back (he was Calder Cup MVP, no?).

Perez. should get a chance to play on the top line for a while. I've always maintained that he was going to be a 30-40 goal scorer, I just didn't think it would be this year!

Ribeiro needs to have a good defensive player on his line, whether it's Higgins or Plekanec.

Habs 5, Sens 2. My prediction. :hlogo:

Originally posted by simonus

Perez-koivu-kovalev

zednik-higgins-ryder

bulis-bonk-sundstrom

plek-ribeiro-begin

simonus, that is an intersting combination. I see many of us like the bulis-bonk-sundstrom combination. This should be the line to go against the Spezza line.

With the way Perezhogin has played so far, I don't think anbody is in a hurry to see Zednik back......let him heal well....very well. Perezhogin is showing IMHO that he is a better fit on that line than Zednik, but I have the feeling that, notwithstanding, that spot is his upon his return.

its generally an unwritten rule that you dont lose your job because of injury (albeit many examples to the contrary, see Mark Belhorn). One nice thing is that you can try Zednik out on some lower lines withthe excuse that you are bleeding him back into the lineup while he gets back his health.

How about Zednik-Begin-Plekanec?  I think Begin has more offensive ability than he has shown so far (or has had the oportunity to show), remember he put up a lot of points in the AHL playoffs a few years back (he was Calder Cup MVP, no?).  

Point taken... but where The Energizer Bunny Helps the most (that’s where your lines only make sense in a perfect world) is when he's doing his best defensive work.. Harassing, bothering, checking , making the other team hesitate before making a pass or challenging for a puck..etc

The team has to be optimized and balanced for all situations.. We’ll always lose the puck sometime! were gonna make mistakes… were gonna have to kill penalties…

Put nevertheless the fact that Begin can be a playmaker or scorer or any other player for a matter of fact can only be positive for our Glorieux

:hlogo:

By the way Matt Cook's game yesterday... very Begin like although mind you Matt has a price on his head...

he escaped all alone and scored... we need more Begins and Cooks! if we could only have at least one player playing like that on every line Now that would be "Optimal"

Originally posted by option+

Perez-koivu-kovalev

zednik-higgins-ryder

bulis-bonk-sundstrom

plek-ribeiro-begin

Your lineup is creative, however i do not see Ribeiro playing on the fourth line. Did you know he only had 1 point less than Lecavalier last year? hes quite underrated IMO, and i do not see him playing on fourth line. Otherwise, pretty good.

He has been extremely disappointing so far this season. I can see this type of thing happening midway through a game, but definetly not on the line up sheet.

It seems as though he's been playing with concrete in his skates, he's barely moving out there....

Originally posted by habsfan88

Perez-koivu-kovalev

zednik-higgins-ryder

bulis-bonk-sundstrom

plek-ribeiro-begin

Your lineup is creative, however i do not see Ribeiro playing on the fourth line. Did you know he only had 1 point less than Lecavalier last year? hes quite underrated IMO, and i do not see him playing on fourth line. Otherwise, pretty good.

or is lecavalier over-rated?

answer: vinny elle is not that great. he gets a lot of attention because he was the #1 pick, ... points-wise he's over-rated.

[Edited on 10/11/2005 by les_glorieux]

lol Lecavalier isn't really that overrated...He's a very good player and plays hard when it matters...btw he wasn't captain of the cup team, Andreychuk was lol..

Anyways that's beside the point..

To be honest, Perezhogin is a great young player but I really think Zednik is a better fit on the first line...However, if Perezhogin were to stay on the first line I actually think Zednik, Ryder and Ribeiro would be a strong line despite people's claims of Zednik and Ribeiro not having great "chemistry"...I would die if Ribeiro ended up on the fourth line because that would be a waste of great talent..He's having a little bit of a slow start but I do believe he will pick it up...Only time will tell I guess!!

Hope Zednik's back soon..

But Lecavalier was on a better team and on the top lin. Of course is was +23. He played next to St Louis who won the Art Ross. Lecavalier is better than Ribeiro but he is overrated. He was on a great line and even his other winger, Cory Stillman (amazingly underrated), beat him by 13 points. His fame and reputauon come mostly from being MVP from the World Cup (or was it the Olympics) a couple of years ago. There was him and Heatley who each won an MVP with Canada.

Anyway, he wasn't Captain. It's ANdreychuk again but I'd guess Vinny would wear the C next year.

Originally posted by habsfan88

Perez-koivu-kovalev

zednik-higgins-ryder

bulis-bonk-sundstrom

plek-ribeiro-begin

Agreed. I can't imagine Julien placing Ribeiro on the 4th line. It just doesn't fit with his style of play. Yes, he may be struggling at the moment, for whatever reason but to put him on the 4th line. It would be a waste of Ribeiro's skills and it would be depriving the 4th line of a player that belongs there.

Likely, if anything, Julien would bench him or, better yet, put in the press box like the last season.

We'll see.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

But Lecavalier was on a better team and on the top lin. Of course is was +23. He played next to St Louis who won the Art Ross. Lecavalier is better than Ribeiro but he is overrated. He was on a great line and even his other winger, Cory Stillman (amazingly underrated), beat him by 13 points. His fame and reputauon come mostly from being MVP from the World Cup (or was it the Olympics) a couple of years ago. There was him and Heatley who each won an MVP with Canada.

Anyway, he wasn't Captain. It's ANdreychuk again but I'd guess Vinny would wear the C next year.

Well good line or not, Lecavalier has always had good stats...Last year granted he was on a superb line...However he's been with Tampa since 98, check the stats, his production last year wans't an isolated "incident" lol..I'll leave it at that :P.

[Edited on 2005/10/11 by xXx..CK..xXx]

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

"Cory Stillman (amazingly underrated)"

Bulis_the_Habbie, I really agree here. Stillman is a very good player.

He had 25 goals and 55 assists with Tampa Bay in 2003-04, and tied Daniel Alfredsson for seventh in the league in points. He had 2G +5A in 21 playoff games and won the Stanley Cup. Very underrated...

Unlike Plekanec and Higgins, The Russian kid had not made a clear cut case for himself during the pre-saison and almost missed in getting a reservist seat....as Julien pondered the idea of keeping

Vandermeer along side Yvanans to start the season.

Althought the kid's potentiel was in evidence throughtout the pre-saison and became all the more evident during his shoot-out opportunitys,...Julien wasnt convinced that Alexandre would look good playing a traditional reservist role with the CH and that his earlier performances has warranted such non-conformity....yet Julien, which I see as a non-conformist traditionalist,..if that make any sense.....gave him a seat.

I am glad that 20 turn out to be his lucky number in the russian roulette and that it happen so early in the season........he really look good out there with Koivu and Kovy,... but then who wouldnt.....but the prospect of them looking even better with him than without him....that's what makes this thing so crazy !

If this talented fluid russian skater keeps ''playing his game and going to the net'', as suggested to him by compatriote Kovalev or just plain ''playing hard, hard and hard'' by fellow Markov and keeps Koivu happy ''with his ability to recuperate puck control in corners'',... he could then well turn out to be ''la carte cache'' that would permanently secure this young team into a force to be reckon it with.

Anyway, it will take more than its two great performances to get Julien to shuffle around its players on the first two lines.....its a matter of groin for now.....but Perezhogin commitment at playing his game along his contrymen's advices until the groin is healed....might be just enought to have Julien do the unexpected.

Wathever the course it take,.....this team is great to watch...and thats what matter most.

Originally posted by shortcat1

Agreed. I can't imagine Julien placing Ribeiro on the 4th line. It just doesn't fit with his style of play. Yes, he may be struggling at the moment, for whatever reason but to put him on the 4th line. It would be a waste of Ribeiro's skills and it would be depriving the 4th line of a player that belongs there.

Likely, if anything, Julien would bench him or, better yet, put in the press box like the last season.

We'll see.

certainly that is true, which is why I made it up as an 'other universe' lineup.

That being said, i dont necessarily think that it is a waste of ribeiro's talent. It would be part of building a classic montreal team, one that didnt ice a crap 4th line but rather a multitasking line that could be thrown out to up the energy quotient and score some goals. Have Ribeiro quarterback a PP (like they might want to do with Kovalev) and he's getting a lot of minutes back on the increased special teams.

Also, when you need that extra scoring touch for a given scenario, you can ice a midgame trio such as

zed-ribs-ryder (albeit supposed chemistry issues) or

higs-ribs-ryder

Or even

zed-ribs-ryder

souray-higs

(which might not be a bad PP line)

If higgins or plekanec, either one might be fit to sit in the 2nd line center role - i only picked higgins because he was already put on the second line, proves to have an NHL scoring or playmaking touch, it is difficult to say that they would not belong on a top line.

471GP 147G 181A 328TP

Not AMAZING. He had an off year in 2001 with 38 points in 76 games. His bets season was in 2002 where he got 78 points in 80 games. Of course, we all know that he had in 68 points last year in 81 games. He hit 30 goals for the past two seasons. He's also -65 in his career but that's because he played for a crap team. But then you can argue that he didn't contribute to the team because they sucked until other star players came along and produced.

As opposed to Cory Stillman:

648GP 185G 250A 435TP

Both of them had career years in their past two seasons. Lecavalier has 146 points and Stillman has 147. Stillman has a carrer plus/- of +8 (an obvious win). And he has been putting up about the same numbers as Lecavalier in the past few seasons. If he produces this year with Carolina then he's a proven first liner for any team in the NHL. Lecavalier should be playing second line behind Brad Richards. Also worth mentioning is that Richards moved up a bit so Stillman spent some of his 80 point seaosn on the second line.

Anyway, Zednik belongs on the first line. Perezhogin is good enough to play second line but I'm not sure about the chemistry. One thing's sure though: that line needs speed and Perezhogin certainly has that. Higgins, Plekanec and Sundstrom can alternate between the bottom two lines. Dagenais is the dark horse.

Originally posted by PB

Unlike Plekanec and Higgins, The Russian kid had not made a clear cut case for himself during the pre-saison and almost missed in getting a reservist seat....as Julien pondered the idea of keeping

Vandermeer along side Yvanans to start the season.

Althought the kid's potentiel was in evidence throughtout the pre-saison and became all the more evident during his shoot-out opportunitys,...Julien wasnt convinced that Alexandre would look good playing a traditional reservist role with the CH and that his earlier performances has warranted such non-conformity....yet Julien, which I see as a non-conformist traditionalist,..if that make any sense.....gave him a seat.

I am glad that 20 turn out to be his lucky number in the russian roulette and that it happen so early in the season........he really look good out there with Koivu and Kovy,... but then who wouldnt.....but the prospect of them looking even better with him than without him....that's what makes this thing so crazy !

If this talented fluid russian skater keeps ''playing his game and going to the net'', as suggested to him by compatriote Kovalev or just plain ''playing hard, hard and hard'' by fellow Markov and keeps Koivu happy ''with his ability to recuperate puck control in corners'',... he could then well turn out to be ''la carte cache'' that would permanently secure this young team into a force to be reckon it with.

Anyway, it will take more than its two great performances to get Julien to shuffle around its players on the first two lines.....its a matter of groin for now.....but Perezhogin commitment at playing his game along his contrymen's advices until the groin is healed....might be just enought to have Julien do the unexpected.

Wathever the course it take,.....this team is great to watch...and thats what matter most.

Perezhogin is a mixture of 'we expected that' and 'what a nice surprise'. The 'expected that' comes from his evaluation, even beyond the Canadiens media spin stuff and the 'nice surprise' probably comes from 'I wonder how he'll adapt to the NHL after another year in Russia and that AHL incident - did it damage him?'

But, on the whole, his presence is very much a positive.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo: