Big Man Ivanans-will he be back?

HABZRULE

I heard Pierre McGuire bashing him for losing his first fight. He was complaining that Ivanans isn't the "fierce enforcer" that we need. There was talk about Worrel but they were saying that he is in a battle with personal demons. If the Habs are NOT going to give Big Man another shot, who do we go after? Do we bring Vandy back up or shop around? My personal feelings are to give Ivanans more time. Losing fights will happen,Chara is no small fry!

In my opinion, he won that fight with Chara. And anyway name one other player in the NHL who can take him down. There are none, he's the second hugest player in the league and possibly the strongest. Plus, he was smart. He didn't fight with McGratton (which would be pointless), he fought with Chara who is a key part iof their defence. He was out of the game for 5 minutes. It's too bad he took Chara down so quickly. He didn't have time to throw a punch back at him. Ivanans got an eye injury and isn't playing tonight.

No way he won that fight-he ate 3 good punches and another when the refs came in(don't know if it landed though). I do give him credit for going with Chara and I hope to the Gods they give him another chance. From what I hear he did well against McGrattan in pre-season so he deserves more time. He will bring fear to others, perhaps just not Chara!

Ivanans may be big, but that doesn't necessarily equate to being a good fighter. I watched him in about 20 games last year in Hamilton and don't recall him pummelling anyone, nor do I recall a clear decision in his favour in any fight. Although I can't say he was cleary beaten except once by Nathan Perrot of the Leafs, who was easily the better fighter.

There were other Bulldogs I was more impressed with like Benjamin Carpentier last year.

Having said that, do the Habs need a goon? Isn't the spot better given to someone who can contribute in more than one way, and play more minutes. If need be, someone like Mike Komisarek, Craig Rivet, Steve Begin (kinda small) or bless his delicate hands Sheldon Souray can handle the little fighting thats left in the NHL now.

TSN has a stat last night that threw Monday or Tuesday night there had only been 29 Fighting Majors called. THats down from like 85 fighting majors five years ago. Its Just not a part of the game like it used to be. I'd rather see Plekanac, Higgins and Perezhogin play more time when Zednik comes back and not dress Ivanans.

He played 1 minute! It's not like he's taking up their ice time anyway. Even if Chara had punched his head out he still did a good job by taking one of their best players out of the game for 5 minutes when he wasn't going to play anyway.

Ya it was a good move. I just saw the highlights of the game though and Ivanans did lose but only because of that cheap shot when the refs were holding them.

I thought it was pretty sad, and pretty dirty, to see one of the bigger players in the league throwing a cheap shot at a guy who is being held by the refs. Especially considering the fact that the only reason he was on his feat was cause the refs saved him....

Originally posted by HABZRULE

I heard Pierre McGuire bashing him for losing his first fight. He was complaining that Ivanans isn't the "fierce enforcer" that we need. There was talk about Worrel but they were saying that he is in a battle with personal demons. If the Habs are NOT going to give Big Man another shot, who do we go after? Do we bring Vandy back up or shop around? My personal feelings are to give Ivanans more time. Losing fights will happen,Chara is no small fry!

Uhh................... who's Pierre McGuire? :?- I don't know if I've ever heard of that guy. Maybe he's some sort of WBA or WBF commissioner or something? :?- Maybe he's the trainer for John Ruiz or Lennox Lewis or Evander Holyfield or something? :?-:?-:?-:?-:?-

Hmmmm... who is this Pierre McGuire? :?- I'm soooooo confused..... :eyes::eyes::?-:eyes::eyes:;)

not to nitpick or anything but if i recall correctly they each got 7 minutes in penalties for the altercation so obviously a good trade for us to lose ivanans and them to lose chara for that long.

however, i was not impressed at all with ivanan (admittedly first time i saw him fight and would like to see him again before judging) in that fight. definitely no john kordic, that's for sure and i agree with the sentiment that we should not dress a fighter right now anyway we are better served with youth, speed offense etc. i would rather see dagenais dressed than ivanan.

Originally posted by bookworm

not to nitpick or anything but if i recall correctly they each got 7 minutes in penalties for the altercation so obviously a good trade for us to lose ivanans and them to lose chara for that long.

however, i was not impressed at all with ivanan (admittedly first time i saw him fight and would like to see him again before judging) in that fight.  definitely no john kordic, that's for sure and i agree with the sentiment that we should not dress a fighter right now anyway we are better served with youth, speed offense etc.  i would rather see dagenais dressed than ivanan.

bookworm made the most important point here.

Chara was off the ice for a long time. Ivan the Bone Crusher did his job. I dont care if the Habs win fights. I want to see them win games. A win in Atlanta tonight will be so Sweet!!!

He played one minute and took Chara out of the game for 5 minutes, too bad he got the roughing before the fight. Point is he stood up to Chara, would you? or anyone on last seasons roster? Chara lost his footing before the fight really got going, I saw the one punch that cut Ivan land but the others thrown weren't much, looked like ivan punched Chars in the kisser as he hit the ice but I wasn't sure.

I hope he stays up, Oh and who the heck on here ever listened to that Leaf sucking McGuire anyway

Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

He played one minute and took Chara out of the game for 5 minutes, too bad he got the roughing before the fight. Point is he stood up to Chara, would you? or anyone on last seasons roster? Chara lost his footing before the fight really got going, I saw the one punch that cut Ivan land but the others thrown weren't much, looked like ivan punched Chars in the kisser as he hit the ice but I wasn't sure.

I hope he stays up, Oh and who the heck on here ever listened to that Leaf sucking McGuire anyway

Me Guilty of the McGuire Listening Sin.

I confess my transgressions to the Montreal board for forgiveness so I can be saved from ever becoming a cough..hack..ahhhhh.. Leaf Fan! :nono:

Ivanans out for tonights game... then with Zednik perhaps healing one more night (i doubt it tough) Dagenais' oportunity arises again... I wrote about this before... Dagenais could be an enforcer type player if he wishes too... even if he loses the fights he sure can play better than Ivanans not that I dislike the Latvian (au contraire) Only if I were In Pierre's skates I would do all my best to find a new "niche" if possible on this hockey club! if he really bleeds red white and blue he will do it!! if not then ...

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz
Originally posted by bookworm

however, i was not impressed at all with ivanan (admittedly first time i saw him fight and would like to see him again before judging) in that fight.  definitely no john kordic, that's for sure and i agree with the sentiment that we should not dress a fighter right now anyway we are better served with youth, speed offense etc.  i would rather see dagenais dressed than ivanan.

bookworm made the most important point here.

Chara was off the ice for a long time. Ivan the Bone Crusher did his job. I dont care if the Habs win fights. I want to see them win games. A win in Atlanta tonight will be so Sweet!!!

Not to nitpick also, but this way of doing things sounds very utilitarian, that is that the end justifies the means. Can't say that I agree to that.

I would hope (rather naïvely) that coaches wouldn't send players (like Ivanans or Domi, etc.) onto the ice with the task of doing something (like enticing them into a fight) to take out an opposition player of greater value/threat/talent. It's just not right. (again, how naïve can I be?)

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Originally posted by CoRvInA

Dagenais could be an enforcer type player if he wishes too...  

Are you kidding me? this guy is weaker than my little sister..... That's like asking Ribs to drop'em with Domi cause they're the same height....

Dagenais problem isn't his ability to find a niche, but rather the fact that he doesn't work. If he worked harder off the ice on his leg strength, he'd be able to move faster. If he worked harder on the ice, we'd actually like him!

Step 3 would be asking him to pass the puck....

Lololol.

Sorry, but I don't see Dags as the enforcer type!

Julien: Dags, we just found a new role for you

Dags: Cool! Where will I play!

Julien: You will play on our 4th line. If any goon bothers your friend Ribeiro, your job will be to knock his lights out.

Dags: Will "shooting a puck in the goon's face" count as a suitable enforcer response?

Julien: It would if we believed you could actually get the puck out of the corner. For now, hard checking and bareknuckle fightning will have to suffice.

Dags:...

Julien: We used to have "The Lavian Locomotive", but since he's hurt, I name you "The Montreal Bicycle"

Dags: *sulks*

Originally posted by Capt.Crunch

Lololol.

Sorry, but I don't see Dags as the enforcer type!

Julien: Dags, we just found a new role for you

Dags: Cool! Where will I play!

Julien: You will play on our 4th line. If any goon bothers your friend Ribeiro, your job will be to knock his lights out.

Dags: Will "shooting a puck in the goon's face" count as a suitable enforcer response?

Julien: It would if we believed you could actually get the puck out of the corner. For now, hard checking and bareknuckle fightning will have to suffice.

Dags:...

Julien: We used to have "The Lavian Locomotive", but since he's hurt, I name you "The Montreal Bicycle"

Dags: *sulks*

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

hahahahahaha You should have a warning lable:

Beware Extreme Laughter Below.

That was like reading a short story, well real short! Now if someone on here was a graphics artist and could make this into a comic strip it would be even more funny...

LOL LOL hahahaha awesome...

hehee well its true its not up to Julien its up to Dag to show he's got more in him.... he has to at least try to play as much as Begin even if he fans every puck even if he misses every pass... he's got to prove tonight that if in any form or matter be it Goals checks or sucking his thumb ...what can he do for the team... like I said if I were him I would do anything even wear a Tiara and makeup if it meant the other team would be distracted by his presence!

:monkey:

[Edited on 2005/10/12 by CoRvInA]

Dagenais doesn't have the weight for his size. I hope he has a year where he gains like 30 pounds of muscle.

I was at the Ottawa preseason game where Ivanans took on McGratton. If he can take him on he'll take Chara on too. Ivanans threw some good punches and there is no way McGratton could claim a victory. It was a good draw.

Chara got lucky in my opinion he connected the only hard punch in a very short fight and then fell over. If Ivanans had been more aggressive he could have landed more punches while Chara was lying on his back, but he tried to be honourable and the refs lifted Chara up into an excellent position to blast a second shot in Ivanans eye. This is where he got the eye injury, the first and only legitimate punch was to the mouth.

Someone said this earlier and could see it being true and that is he lacks the killer instinct. In both the McGratton and Chara fight he looked like he was holding back and fighting for a draw. It worked with McGratton but usually it doesn't as was the case with Chara. Hopefully he will get angry soon, we have to train him to be angry. Good goons take time to be made. Look at Brashear, that guy was a pussy when he started but there aren't many that would fight him now.

[Edited on 2005/10/12 by Lister100]

Originally posted by Lister100

Dagenais doesn't have the weight for his size. I hope he has a year where he gains like 30 pounds of muscle.

[Edited on 2005/10/12 by Lister100]

doctors like to call this the 'steroid period' ;)