Higgins living a dream in Montreal (FoxSports)

huzer

This is the write-up about him in the "Hockey News Draft Preview".

"There are two 'ifs' about Chris Higgins. Scouts like him but they just wish there was more of him to like.

"You wish he was bigger and faster" a scout said. "If he was bigger and faster, he would be in the top 10. But everything he does is NHL wise. He is a good player and he will play. He is a smart player."

At 5-foot-11, 192 pounds, Higgins is best described as an "honest player." He has better than average skating skills, a solid work ethic and is smart with the puck.

Higgins attracted a lot of attention at the end of the season, but he needs to get stronger and work on his shot. He's definitely not first-line material.

"There's a chance he'll play on a second line because he works hard and is smart. But he might just be a third liner". said a GM. "The difference between him and Scottie Upshall is Upshall's grit."

Adds another scout: "He is a good competiter but he does not have a lot of finish. He does a lot of things good but not anything great."

He was rated 20th overall (CS - 9th north American skater) and he was described as being a two-way forward.

I wonder, how is Scottie Upshall doing?

HE's an excellent skater. Very fast. I watched him alot in Hamilton last year, and he was definitley one of the fastest and hardest working players on the team.

He also consistantly improved each year he was there.

At some points late last year him and Plekanac were dominating games on Offence, backcheck and specialty teams

Based on some of his scouting reports of some years ago it seems evident that he his a faster skater today than he was then,.........no surprises there since he is knowned to be always working at improving his craft.

With that in mind, its not impossible that he might end-up being in a few years from now a strong second liner as oppose of the excellent third liner we can expect him to be.

If he ever managed to master and ad to his game one single offensive weapon availlable out there.......a second line role would be his without a doubt.

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

The guy got realy credit for his hard work, hope he stays this good during this season and doesnt get a settback. You gotta love the guy, always working hard.

Go Higgins Go!

How can you watch habs's games living in Holland ?

How did you become an habs's fan ?

How about your phrasing ''you gotta love the guy'',.. are you a Don Cherry fan ?

Originally posted by kaos

How about your phrasing ''you gotta love the guy'',.. are you a Don Cherry fan ?

End Quote

Nothing wrong with being a Don Cherry fan is there? Other than he might be a little LEafs biased

This is a joke... right?

Originally posted by simonus

it's funny - Fox Sports NY was going on and on about him being a home time boy, even calling him an Islander at one point.

Islander is referring to the fact that he grew up in Long Island....nothing to do with the hockey club......

Also, I've heard he was at Team USA's summer Olympic practices....any truth to this rumour?

Originally posted by PB

How can you watch habs's games living in Holland ?

I can see parts of games, and recaps, and read. Is that enough to base my oppinion on? Koivu is my number one player, but i like Higgins also very much, one of the team Favo's!

Originally posted by PB

How did you become an habs's fan ?

I don't get it what this have to do woth Higgins. This is more about the Thread about us European fans

Originally posted by PB

Just because Don's says it, it's not that i like him. I use this phrase a lot in my life, and got nothing to do with Don.

[Edited on 2005/10/25 by Dutch_Habs_Fan]

Originally posted by simonus

it's funny - Fox Sports NY was going on and on about him being a home time boy, even calling him an Islander at one point.

He is an islander, he's just not an Islander.

And everyone I know that's left "The Island", has never wanted to go back. So, even if that other islander, Mr. Komisarek, grew up a fan of the local team (he was 2 when they last won the cup - wow I'm old), he's probably in no rush to be traded "home".

-tmd.

It looks like the friendly nature of my interest in knowing a little more about Habs' fan life out there might have been interpreted differently than what I was aiming for.

Also, the Don Cherry insert was just another way at clowning around with this iconic Canadian figure......which we sometime indulged a little too easelly here in Quebec. ( The use of an appropriate smily at this stage would have been most beneficial,.. but since I am computer challenged,..I could'nt work-it-out).

English language challenged + computer challenged is a good receipe for miscommunication........yet I keep using this anglophone based Habs site over the francophone ones because of personal subjective preferences,...so please '' xcuse my french''

as they say.

[Edited on 2005/10/25 by PB]