Krysztof Oliwa

Rooster

The NJ Devils have sent him down to the minors and he can currently be claimed on waivers by any other team.

The Habs' goon situation is far from solid, but, depending on the perspective, that may also be far from important.

Oliwa is a proven tough guy and would be an upgrade at the goon position for the Habs, Ivanans upcoming return notwithstanding.

Oliwa's problem is that he makes $830,000 a year. Is he worth that much to the Habs? I think it's clear that he would be quite welcomed on the Habs who could use a goon with his reputation, I just don't know about the price. I would give it serious consideration though and be inclined to go for it.

What do you guys think?

I believe this is the last year on his contract, but I am not sure. I agree, we would not want an $830,000 tough guy in the long run but, but I think he could be a usefull addition this year.

That was a salary thing as Langdon makes the league minimum $450,000 and the Devils are at the wall with the cap and need to shed players. I don't think this reflects badly on Oliwa.

why waste money, theres really no point, overall there havent been that many fights in the league. Id rather if we did need afighter, bring up someone from the minors whos cheap. remember, theres always tough guys available via the waiver, but i dont see it as a pressing need right now

It seems to me that Yvanans is a great fit for our Club. He will never complain about being used as a reservist, doest used up caps limited rescource and his a human rescource for Perezhogin.

He is injured from doing his work against the strongest man in the NHL....he needs to heal is wounds properly and come back to play his role with the team and as long as he is willing to do so without hesitation.....he's our man.

PB , you hit the nail on the head- if Ivanans is ok to come back and be our enforcer then I say keep him and if need be, bring up a minor league guy.Perhaps bring back Vandy, or even bring up Carpentier(if he's still around) or even Jimmy Bonneau. We do need someone to step up tonight and play a physical game(Komi,Souray,Rivet) but let's be honest, no person on the Habs can tanglewith Brashear!:/)

mmm I love the enforcer and goon part of Hockey ... But I must admit with the new NHL at least for now it been useless... Domi has been more affective cause he plays ok hockey at least he can make a pass or put it in an open net

I say we stick to what we got.. But I would bring Vandermeer up or like I said before Ask Dajenais to fight with his eyes closed and go down the first punch!

We need money for a first or second Dman PRIORITIES!!!

As Brashear himself said, '' As a result of the variaty of rule changes this year, the game have been affected in a way that fights as less relevance than they once had''.

With the league registering 49% less fights than last season at the same time...I would say Brashear is not inventing anything.

It not time yet for any team to go Goon free but I consider the preventive reaction of re-enforcing temporarly in the absence of an injured enforcer a thing of the past.

After all this team as some capable and couragous enought defensements out there that would'nt hesitate if the situation would warrant it,...Brashear no less.

Rivet during pre-saison did'nt hesitate a second to rush a REAL monster (6'8'', 260 pounds) to protect Plekanec and only the immidiate and forcefull refere's intervention had the fight stopped before it started.

I know HABZRULE your liking for the good fight......but the situation seems to suggest that it is already a rarified event and that it should remain so in the long haul.