Bad Moves of the 90's

Funk Doc

We all know that the worst trade by the Habs in the 90's was the Roy trade.

But one little trade that i thought was really bad was trading Eric Weinrich for Patrick Traverse. Not only was that a bad trade but we traded them to the Bruins!!! a division rival

comments????

Originally posted by Funk Doc

But one little trade that i thought was really bad was trading Eric Weinrich for Patrick Traverse.  Not only was that a bad trade but we traded them to the Bruins!!! a division rival

comments????

Oh that thought just gives me an upset tummy. What a waste of time that was.

Originally posted by Funk Doc

But one little trade that i thought was really bad was trading Eric Weinrich for Patrick Traverse.  Not only was that a bad trade but we traded them to the Bruins!!! a division rival

comments????

The Roy trade has been considered pretty well the worst Montreal trade of all time. :puke:

But guess what?... Life goes on.... :)

that trade was made by peanut.not to many good trades hes has done.

think the only good one he made was malakhov for souray and bucket full of pucks

Originally posted by marky_and_komi

think the only good one he made was malakhov for souray and bucket full of pucks

Rejean Houle made few more great trades/draft picks.

Markov, Theodore, Bulis, Zednik... I'm sure I forget other ones.

It's easy to put the blame on him for the Roy trade. But he was there for only few days. I wonder what would have happened if we took the Detroit offer

Don't forget my personal favourite, Lyle Odelein for Stephane Richer :P

And then there's giving up Turner Stevenson on waivers so they could keep...Patrick Poulin

And who could omit Pierre Turgeon AND CRAIG CONROY (!!) for Corson and Murray Baron :P

Also the Valeri Bure for Zarley Zalapski deal :guru:

I can't remember who we got for Donald Brashear but I'm fairly certain we also took a bath there :D

Plus several other moves too ######ed to mention

:wall:

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Bulis/Zednik was a Savard trade

This could have actually been one of the best trades in Habs history. Courtnall excluded of course.

Also with Bulis and Zednik, we recieved Washingtons first pick in which we took Perezhogin. What a deal. Linden couldn't score anywhere but in Vancouver anyway.

Originally posted by sakiqc

Rejean Houle made few more great trades/draft picks.

Markov, Theodore, Bulis, Zednik... I'm sure I forget other ones.

It's easy to put the blame on him for the Roy trade. But he was there for only few days. I wonder what would have happened if we took the Detroit offer

What was the Detroit offer?

I know yzerman was part of the deal, but i know the deal if you looked back on it would have been good for both sides. I forget the other players in th proposed deal

I'm pretty Houle traded Stevenson to Nashville prior to the expansion draft to ensure that they would take Vokoun and not Theo or T-Bo (Vokoun may be better than Thibault now, but then he was considered third in line). Nashville subsequently traded Stevenson to the Devils almost immediatley.

The Bure for Zalapsky (what a cool name, btw, Zarley Zalapski) was an immediate-need move. We traded potential for an extra veteran defenseman, which paid dividend when we went against pittsbugh in the first round. I believe Rivet (or Zalapski) played right wing on the fourth line to keep Jagr in check, and we won the series in 6 (in '98).

Originally posted by GoHabs2002

I'm pretty Houle traded Stevenson to Nashville prior to the expansion draft to ensure that they would take Vokoun and not Theo or T-Bo (Vokoun may be better than Thibault now, but then he was considered third in line). Nashville subsequently traded Stevenson to the Devils almost immediatley.

The Bure for Zalapsky (what a cool name, btw, Zarley Zalapski) was an immediate-need move. We traded potential for an extra veteran defenseman, which paid dividend when we went against pittsbugh in the first round. I believe Rivet (or Zalapski) played right wing on the fourth line to keep Jagr in check, and we won the series in 6 (in '98).

At the time I applauded the Bure for Zalapski trade. Defence was needed and Bure with his speed was too soft for the old rough and tough NHL. Shows what I know:guru::guru::guru::guru:

Yeah, it hurt seeing Bure score 30 goals with Calgary, but Montreal was in such a ignorant state, I don't think they would have ever relied on him to score big goals.

It was only when they were desperate when they relied on a small man to score goals (petrov). By then, it was too late for Bure.

my worst trade memory is when we sent desjardins and leclair for mark recchi......recchi was ok but desjardins became one of the top defenseman in the league and leclair the best sniper over the next ten years......oh well

also, the trend of montreal always trading their captains in the 90s was very indicative of the chaos of the franchise at the time.

im so glad that we have gainey in charge now and for years to come.......:hlogo:

Originally posted by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

I can't remember who we got for Donald Brashear but I'm fairly certain we also took a bath there :D

Plus several other moves too ######ed to mention

:wall:

It was Brashear for Cullimore whom the Canadiens subsequently let go. My personal favorite 90's trade was Guy Carbonneau for Jim Montgomery! Also, the LeClair and Desjardins trade turned out to be pretty lopsided although Recchi was a great player. Whoops-I see someone has already posted the LeClair trade.

[Edited on 2005/11/8 by pluto]

Take this one as a good or bad move depending on the colour of your glasses;

Kerry Fraser's non-call on gretzky smacking Doug Gilmour on the noggin in 1993. Personally I would have preferred to see the Habs take on the leaf in the Finals (a series the leaf has not attained in nearly a half-century) in 1993 but wiping the ice with wayne's ass was just a good. Seeing the cbc/hnic not show the Habs parading the Stanley Cup but deciding to keep the camera on waynEgo crying at his bench was pure drama, comedic drama but typical of the cbc/hnic habs hate.

by the way, theodore was a serge savard pick

how about drafting chouinard....

I have to give peanut the credit for his 1998 draft

chouinard, ribs, ferland, dwyer, markov and ryder

thats 6 out of ten who went to play NHl hockey. I don'T think any team has made a better draft than the 1998's habs

by the way, theodore was a serge savard pick

how about drafting chouinard....

I have to give peanut the credit for his 1998 draft

chouinard, ribs, ferland, dwyer, markov and ryder

thats 6 out of ten who went to play NHl hockey. I don'T think any team has made a better draft than the 1998's habs

This mirrors Habs 90s drafting in general. Bad 1st rounders (exception of Koivu), with solid players picked in subsequent rounds.

we have the best percentage of drafted players in the 90'swho went to play in the NHL. I'm not sure but I think detroit's next

A lot made the NHL but we still made some horrible mistakes. Mainly in then first round. There were great players available. We could have Iginla, Brodeur, Hossa, etc, etc. But it's hard to know who's gonna be good so you can't really blame them. They did make a few late-round steals.

Was it Savard that got Ryder in the 9th round?

Originally posted by ~moeman

Take this one as a good or bad move depending on the colour of your glasses;

Kerry Fraser's non-call on gretzky smacking Doug Gilmour on the noggin in 1993. Personally I would have preferred to see the Habs take on the leaf in the Finals (a series the leaf has not attained in nearly a half-century) in 1993 but wiping the ice with wayne's ass was just a good. Seeing the cbc/hnic not show the Habs parading the Stanley Cup but deciding to keep the camera on waynEgo crying at his bench was pure drama, comedic drama but typical of the cbc/hnic Habs hate.

Why does everyone only remember the none call on Gretzky? Nobody ever remembers the headbutt Doug Gilmour layed on Marty McSorely in game 6 of that series, which should have been called a penalty and probably deserved a suspension in which case he wouldn't have been available for game 7 or maybe even a few games into the series with the Habs had Toronto advanced.