Blues to retire MacInnis

BTH

Just heard the news on TSN. The Blues have announced the retirement of Al MacInnis's number (2). He played 10 seasons with the franchise and has one of the hardest slapshots in history. And with a wooden stick too.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Just heard the news on TSN. The Blues have announced the retirement of Al MacInnis's number (2). He played 10 seasons with the franchise and has one of the hardest slapshots in history. And with a wooden stick too.

A couple of comments on the 'wooden stick' issue.

I don't understand why more players don't use the wooden stick as compared to that other one that breaks so often. It may have more flexibility but if, in the end, you can't be sure that the thing will stay in one piece for you then what the heck?

I don't understand why players don't use flatter blades (less curve). It would give them much more accuracy on their back passes and give them a much more deadly backhand shot.

But then again, I teach Kindergarten... I'm hardly in the know about those things... :eyes:

Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

A couple of comments on the 'wooden stick' issue.

I don't understand why more players don't use the wooden stick as compared to that other one that breaks so often. It may have more flexibility but if, in the end, you can't be sure that the thing will stay in one piece for you then what the heck?

I don't understand why players don't use flatter blades (less curve). It would give them much more accuracy on their back passes and give them a much more deadly backhand shot.

But then again, I teach Kindergarten... I'm hardly in the know about those things... :eyes:

I agree. I don't know how many times I've seen a player miss an empty net because his stick broke. Has it happened during a shootout yet?

And straighter blades can also add a lot more speed to back passes so you would see some quicker plays.

But with less curve on the stick, the forehand wrist shot becomes far less accurate. A sniper would lose his accuracy and become an average shooter. There's a reason they started curving their blades, so that they could put more pucks on net. Plus, the curve of the blade makes a backhand shot that much more unpredictable, as it is very difficult for a goalie to predict how it will come off the blade.

Originally posted by jetsniper

I agree. I don't know how many times I've seen a player miss an empty net because his stick broke. Has it happened during a shootout yet?

And straighter blades can also add a lot more speed to back passes so you would see some quicker plays.

yup, jagr had one break on him earlier this year.

Originally posted by simonus
Originally posted by jetsniper

yup, jagr had one break on him earlier this year.

You beat me to it.

It also happens a few times in the hardest shot competition. We're yet to find out if the wooden stick gives you a harder shot or it just keeps winning because the composite sticks keep breaking and they never get a decent shot away. An interesting fact is that only once in history was the Hardest Shot competition won by someone using a composite stick. I think it was Sergei Fedorov. If not, then Modin.