Jan 28, Flames vs Habs, 7 PM

tomh009

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Faceoffs are important, but not nearly as important as they have been treated in this thread and other recent ones. They are one of the things most overrated by fans in terms of how much they are discussed and how important they prove to be. 

This is even more true when we look at percentages of faceoffs won.  PP/SH faceoffs are by far most important, then offensive and defensive zone draws.  Neutral zone draws are really not that important, but they all get weighed the same in the stats posted here. 

I agree with you 100% because there are also other factors involved than just who won or lost a faceoff.  The stats also don't account for what happens after the draw.  ex:  if an OZ faceoff is lost did the other team clear their zone afterwards or turn the puck over?  Same idea but opposite effect for DZ if a faceoff is lost but they could recover the puck and clear.    A lost faceoff can often be no harm no foul unless the team gets burned by it.  Ultimately, that is what really matters.   

On 1/29/2021 at 9:10 AM, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

EVANS has been a revelation thus far and he along with his wingers are playing more to the tune of a 3rd line then a 4th.

I agree that Evans could turn out to be better than a 4C that most people seem to project him to be.  I'd almost argue that Evans has been the biggest surprise so far.  Sure, others are doing better but they were expected to produce more so it isnt as big of a surprise.  Ex:  Anderson has delivered as hoped so that is not really a surprise, same with Toffili.  Drouin with 8pts in 7 games is surprising but he's supposed to be really good and is finally playing up to expectations.  Romanov has been great but that was also expected so that isn't really a surprise either.    Evans is playing beyond his expectations while the others are playing up to theirs.

I was super impressed with Evans wrist shot that he ripped at the net.  It missed but had it been on the net it likely would have gone in and been a great goal.  I'd certainly like to seem him take more of those.