Lemieux out of olympics

Tony_

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_sto...y.asp?id=146457

TSN.ca/CP files

12/10/2005 1:05:19 PM

Mario Lemieux has pulled out of the Olympics.

Lemieux told TSN that he informed Team Canada staff, including Wayne Gretzky, that he has withdrawn his name from consideration for the team.

''I talked to (Wayne Gretzky) a couple days ago and I told him that I would pass on the Olympics,'' said Lemieux. ''With the way I have been playing so far and with the young guys we have coming up in Canada, I think the best thing to do is to go with the young guys, the young legs. With Spezza playing very well and Sid and Staal and all these guys, I think it's time for these guys to step up and they deserve to be on the team.''

Lemieux thinks Sidney Crosby would make a solid a additionn to Team Canada.

Related Info

''I think he should be on the team. He is going to be part of Team Canada for the next 15-20 years.''

Lemieux's decision comes after he was admitted to hospital on Wednesday after complaining of an irregular heartbeat. He was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, which can be treated with medication.

Lemieux also stated Saturday that he will receive a medical checkup on Monday and hopes to resume workouts in the coming weeks.

Pittsburgh general manager Craig Patrick said the condition should not affect Lemieux's life in any way and that the Hall of Famer should be able to return to the Penguins' lineup relatively soon. Patrick said Lemieux can start on the medication immediately and doctors do not expect any ill effects from it.

Lemieux has had numerous medical problems since his career began in 1984, including a bout with Hodgkin's disease in 1993 that was partly responsible for him sitting out the 1994-95 season.

Lemieux also has been sidelined for long periods with back and hip problems, and he missed two-thirds of the Penguins' 1990-91 Stanley Cup championship season with severe lower back pain.

In 21 NHL games this year Lemieux has seven goals, 14 assists and a -17 rating.

---------------------

That sucks, oh well I guess it's time for a new generation to pick up where he left off.

Well good for Mario, I hope he re habs well plays well for the rest of the season gets a sold break when the Olympics are on and takes full flight for the pens to make the playoffs in 8th spot and upset the Sens in the first round. Now that’s wishful thinking.

It had to happen eventually. We should be grateful for his contributions.

The same could be said of Steve Yzerman even though he wasn't as important as Lemieux.

New leaders and heros will come up and, one day, they'll go also, only to be replaced by other leaders and heros.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

For what it's worth, Don Cherry stated that he believes that Gretzky would do well to look forward by going with the up-and-comers and not try to keep the older heros to the detriment of the olympic team.

I tend to agree.

Spezza

Staal

Crosby

In that order! Spezza is a plus because he plays well w/ Heatley... and Heatley just about has a fixed spot on this team.

In my opinion, both Staal and Crosby would be bad choices... but that's just me. I haven't actually got a good look at how Staal plays, so I could be completely off.. I just can't imagine where he'd fit onto this team...

Originally posted by ~moeman

shortcat knows, Yzerman deserves praise (even though we haven't given him a thread od his own).

I gave Yzerman a thread when he dropped out.

And Yzerman deserves more praises than Lemieux IMO because he pulled out when he was healthy and Lemieux only when he was having problems. I doubt Lemieux would have played even if he was healthy. So Spezza will play in his first ever senior national team.