Hockey Trivia

BTH

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nathan Horton.

you are right

I'm pretty sure that's correct, so I'll move forward...

Which two teams were playing when the NHL record for most empty net goals in one game was established?

montreal and toronto ??

yeah I think so

montreal had to win that game by some amount of goals to make playoofs and they took the goalie in the middle of the game

yeah I think so

montreal had to win that game by some amount of goals to make playoofs and they took the goalie in the middle of the game

I think they needed to win or tie or to score 5 goals to surpass the rangers goals scored and thus beat them out for the last playoff spot. When we fell behind we pulled the goalie and tried to score 5 goals. I think we ended up with 2 goals. Possibly both scored before we pulled the goalie. Don't know how many empty netters we gave up.

Was it the final game of the season between Montreal and Chicago in 1970?

Correct. 5 empty net goals were scored by Chicago on their way to a 10-2 win. Montreal pulled their goalie with 10:44 left in the 3rd. Obviously, the strategy didn't work that well. (Side note: the game was Apr. 5, 1970 - I was born 4 days later.)

You're up, Mr. Puck!

Okay here is a question about playoff series.

What is the record for most consecutive playoff series wins by one team over another. I'm taking here about just 2 teams, A and B, and just about years in which the two teams met in the playoffs. I want the longest string of series wins by A over B, uninterupted by a series win of B over A.

I'd like the name of the 2 teams involved and the number of series won during the streak.

Bonus points for the year the streak started and the year it ended.

Habs and Boston

Habs won 17 series in a row

from 1970 - 1987

?

Complete guess

Well you got the teams right (I presume you mean Habs over Boston not the other way round :) )

and the Habs streak did end with a victory in 86-87 followed by the Bruins winning the playoff series in 87-88.

I still want the number of consecutive series we won.

M.R. got it: 18 This is one of the most amazing stats that I know of. It explains why the Bruins were especially unhappy to have lost in 01-02 and 03-04 to us. One of the reasons I remember my days living in Boston fondly is because of this streak :D .

Here are the details:

Playoff series Habs vs Bruins

18 straight: 45-46 through 86-87; streak ended by Bruins win in 87-88.

Overall 22 and 7.

Year by Year

L 28-29

W 29-30

L 42-43

W 45-46

W 46-47

W 51-52

W 52-53

W 53-54

W 54-55

W 56-57