Are The Habs Worse Than 03'04?

smon

Worse? Or Not?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 05'06 Habs worse than 03'04?

• Yes
    • No

Are the 05'06 Habs worse than 03'04's 7th place squad?

Bring on the apologists.

Yes, they are, in my opinion. And here's why:

- This year's edition of the Habs features virtually no secondary scoring. Yes, Michael Ryder already has 20 goals. Yes, Koivu scores around a point per game? But how many does Zednik have? 8? The addition of a full year of Kovalev has done nothing to mitigate the situation. Mike Ribiero is no longer feeding Ryder, he's having enough troubles feeding Steve Begin. Whereas 03'04 featured the magic of Ryder and Ribiero..who clearly was a true #2 centre.

- Joe Juneau was a better defensive centre than Radek Bonk. And considering Bonk's offensive talents, despite averaging 17 minutes a game of icetime.. :mellow:

- Patrice Brisebois was better than Mathieu Dandenault is now. (Unbelievably, yes. For all Breeze-by's defensive shortcomings, he actually anchored the pp and was plus in the +/- department. Dandy has the same shortcomings but not much offensive skills. But I'm not saying Montreal should have kept Brisebois, just saying a better replacement should have been found)

- In 03'04, every forward in the league was not skating circles around Souray. He was dare I say it the best defenseman the Habs had seen in a while. Fighting, hitting, scoring goals. This year, well...(atleast Markov has been superb).

- Goaltending. 03'04 saw Theo shine with Garon stealing the occasional game in relief, especially a certain game against LA. 05'06 sees Theo doing the exact opposite with Huet stealing the occasional game in relief. From a sparkling 2.27GAA to 3.34GAA.

The 03'04 Habs were a team that worked together to do the unexpected..I can't see how this edition can. Especially with the struggles of the goaltender who was expected to steal games for the Habs almost every other night.

Edited by smon

This team's line up is stronger, on paper. We've added PROVEN (!!!!) NHL performers Bonk, Dandenault, and Kovalev, all of whom represent either lateral moves or upgrades - ON PAPER.

On the ice, it's another story, due to the inexplicable implosion of José Theodore, Bonk's struggles, Zednik's disappearance, the failure of most rookies to really step up (not their fault - no good team can expect to rely on rookies), Dandenault's limitations, Markov's injury, and the more predictable regression of Mike Ribeiro. A lot of things went right with the 03 team; a lot of things have gone wrong with this one.

This team should have been at least the equal of the previous one, but...that's hockey for ya.

You should have added another choice,

YES

NO

Suck as badly but not worse

I would have 2nd the 3rd over NO

Again, a playoff contender but not a cup contender

Man I'd like to see home ice advantage in a playoff series.

Fact-- we need more Frenchmen and not token 2nd liners.

We'll now at the end of the year if they make the playoffs and upset their first round opponet.

Right now, no there not as good. The team is playing like shit, THeodore is not carrying them like he did, and of course, there out of a playoff spot.

when adding up all the free agent moves, dont forget the promotions of plek, higs and the quasi promotions of zhog and kost.... not that there is any way to measure this yet, but cote doesnt seem half bad either...

The Habs are now a better team. Maybe their record isn't as good but they are a better team. If they miss the playoffs or finish with a bottom 10 record, who cares? Injuries, trades, coaching changes and bad luck can heavily affect your season and the best team doesn't always win.

This years group is more skilled than last years team. The difference is that now we have a group whereas last season we had a team. Against the Hurricanes, I noticed that the Habs were playing as good as ever. Energy, dekes, behind-the-back passes, speed: every player was showing their skills. The problem was that not one of those fancy passes was received. The team has no chemistry. One guy would do all the right things and set up a play but instead of following along, the other player would do his own thing. Maybe the team's ethnic diversity is the problem.

Well I will base my post purely on stats.

1. Last year through 50 games the Habs had 56 points this year they have 52. So that is worse

2. Points will go up this year with the highest ranked team (Carolina) on pace for 123 points up from 109 Detroit last season. That is an extra point every 14 games, so Montreal to even be comparable to the 56 points should actually have more.

3. On a plus note it appears that point totals for the 7th 8th seeded team in the east will drop from last season. In 03'04 it was 93 and 91 points clinching a playoff spot. On this years pace 7th seed will have 92 points at 8th seed will need only 87 points to advance. Montreal is on pace for 85 points.

So unless there is improvement in the last 32 games Montreal will get a good workout on the links. Time will tell.

But as of right now this team is worse. And with 6 wins in their last 18 games the light at the end of the tunnel may be too far for the 05 06 Canadiens to stumble to.