Now... What the Habs Should do.

Habby1197

We now seem to have a real 4th line...

The 4th line should play MAX 5 mins per game and the top 3 lines should play the other 55 mins. Without getting anyone else... this is the best Habs lineup I can think of.

Bulis-Koivu-Audette

Hossa-Ribs-Zednik

Kilger-Perreault-Ward

Langdon-Begin-Ryder

Markov-Rivet

Souray-Brisebois

Quintal-Komi

Theo

Garon

Screw, Juneau, Dackell, Sundstrom, Dwyer and the rest of our losers. I know Perreault isn't a third line centre... but I rather have him than Juneau. With Kilger and Ward on his wings he'll be more than ok on the defensive end. That's not a great team... but at least it has the make up of what a team should be... Perreault is the only pussy forward in that lineup.

Originally posted by Habby1197

Screw, Juneau, Dackell, Sundstrom, Dwyer and the rest of our losers. I know Perreault isn't a third line centre... but I rather have him than Juneau. With Kilger and Ward on his wings he'll be more than ok on the defensive end. That's not a great team... but at least it has the make up of what a team should be...  Perreault is the only pussy forward in that lineup.

Wohh.. Sundstrom is one of our key player! Great defensively and has some instinct in the offensive zone. Great stickhandling habilities and comes off the corner always with the puck.

Begin is probably going to play in Hamilton, while Langdoon will be our scratched player, our a 4th liner when we play in Toronto or Philadelphia

Wohh.. Sundstrom is one of our key player! Great defensively and has some instinct in the offensive zone. Great stickhandling habilities and comes off the corner always with the puck.

Sundstrom is just a faster and younger Dackell... he's nothing special. I rather Have Travis Green over Sundstrom... He's also overpayed at almost 2 million.

I'm not big fan of Sundstrom either... our talent players are all so small we need all our "defensive" players to have size and/or grit.

Sundstrom is neither... I would have waived him, along with many others. He's not a bad player, but he's exactly what this team doesn't need... another soft player.

This would be my lineup right now:

Bulis-Koivu-Ryder

Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik

Ryder-Kilger-Ward

Dwyer-Begin-Langdon

But it'll probably end up looking more like:

Bulis-Koivu-Zednik

Hossa-Perreault-Audette

Sundstrom-Juneau-Ward

Kilger-Begin-Langdon

ugh...

I haven't heard much or seen much of Begin. Where will he be placed on the depth chart? ahead of Ryder and Higgins or below?

i hope he's not ahead of either.

Langdon is something we needed, now we wont have to watch Dwyer get beat to the ice every fight.

The Habs desperately need to get rid of Juneau and Dackell, there a waste of money and they're taking away the chance for some of our young guys to make an impact.

my lines would be:

Bulis-koivu-Ward

Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik

Sundstrom-Perreault-Ryder

Langdon-Kilger-Audette(Wouldnt hurt to get rid of this guy either)

But seeing Koivu and Kilger might not be ready to start i would have:

Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik

Sundstrom-Perreault-Ryder

Bulis-Higgins-Ward

Langdon-Begin-Audette

:ghg:

Why do people want to put Langdon and Begin together, and both in the lineup.

I doubt that Gainey will be stupid enough to put two thugs on one line, especially thugs with no talent.

Unless...

Langdon-Begin-Dwyer :-^

Hahaha, what a stupid line. That's about 35 minutes of penalties right there. Per night.

But seriously, I think that the enforcers will take turns in playing. When injuries come, they'll be among the suitors for the open spot. But I don't want enforcers taking spots that are better suited to rookies.

Remember, our problem is scoring. These guys aren't really going to help us out in that area.

Anyway, as someone pointed out, maybe there's a trade looming...

Juneau for Forsberg, anyone? :eyes:

Sundström is one of the leauges most under-rated player.

In my opinion Sundström is the most adaptable (is that a word?) players.

He can play in any system.

I think we need to give Sundström more time. Find his role on this team.

I think this can be a real funny season. If the youngsters perform as well as they have during the pre-season we might reach the playoffs.

Heres the lines, as the swede thinks they should be:

Hossa-Koivu-Zednik

Bulis-Ribeiro-Audette

Sundström-Perreault-Ward

Langdon-Juneau-Ryder

So... Dackell and Kilger are the ones thats out. Hopefully we can send them to a team that realizes that they need some defensive help?

Originally posted by ch_nl

Sundström is one of the leauges most under-rated player.

In my opinion Sundström is the most adaptable (is that a word?) players.

He can play in any system.

I think we need to give Sundström more time. Find his role on this team.

Sundstrom is not a bad player, he's just exactly what we don't need... another fair sized soft player.

And when you say adaptable, to me he can a little bit of everything... but not any one of them VERY well.

And as I said, our talent players being so small & soft, we need our secondary players to be big and/or gritty.

Sundstrom would fit better on an already big team, not one of the softest in the league as we have here.

Looking ahead one year:

LW: Hossa, Bulis, Higgins

RW: Zednik, Ryder, Ward, Perezhogin

All these wingers bring us more size and/or grit... which is what we need. I don't see any room for Sundstrom on this team beyond this year.

It's his last contract year, he makes just under 2M (we only pay 1.4 because the Sharks picked up part of the salary). I can't see us re-signing him.

I think this can be a real funny season. If the youngsters perform as well as they have during the pre-season we might reach the playoffs.

Youngsters who have impressed or done better than expected during camp: Ryder, Ribeiro if you consider him a youngster still, Plekanec.

Those who have underwhelmed: Higgins, Perezhogin, Komisarek, Hainsey, Ward.

And then there's Hossa who was awful for most of camp, then did well the last 2 games... who's somewhere in the middle.

Heres the lines, as the swede thinks they should be:

Hossa-Koivu-Zednik  

Bulis-Ribeiro-Audette  

Sundström-Perreault-Ward  

Langdon-Juneau-Ryder

So... Dackell and Kilger are the ones thats out. Hopefully we can send them to a team that realizes that they need some defensive help?

Hossa & Ribeiro are beginning to work well together, I'd keep the together... and Bulis & Koivu have been playing together for a while now, so I'd switch Hossa & Bulis.

Ryder has done better than Ward so far... those two might end up switching as well. Ryder has more offensive upside.

And Juneau on a 4th line?... Begin is more the 4th line type. Juneau can head to Hamilton or at the very least the press box.

Word is Gainey sees Kilger as the #3 center.. will probably try to convert him into our defensive center. We'll see if it works, but he does have the size/speed required to shadow the league's Thornton's & Sundins.

Can't be worse than the aging Juneau who simply can't hack anymore.

The picking of Begin, a 4th line center, would seem to confirm Gainey's intentions towards Kilger.

Kilger has to start play physical. I'm not saying that he is not, but I think he can improve that part of his play.

Ribeiro, Ryder and Ward has something to prove this season. So has Hossa, Hainsey and maybe Komisarek.

Im not counting on everybody to bloom out but some will.

I have start to have faith in Ribs, Hossa, Komisarek and Hainsey.

Ryder and Ward... Ward perhaps.

But we are so thirsty for victory that we sometimes forget somethings.

THE BALACE.

We have a great goaltender situation. Theodore and Garon. And Michaud coming in a few years.

On the blueline it's weaker. Dykhuis and Brisebois are overpaid and in my opinion second or third pairings.

Quintal aint going younger.

Sourray is big but not that much better than Brisebois or Dykhuis.

Rivet is solid. But not firstpair caliber.

Markov is my hero.

Komisarek and Hainsey is some of the answers but I think we need a really good puck-carrying defenceman with some offensive skills.

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11

Ryder over Ward anyday....

lol , no , your not biased at all for Ryder :) , looking out for fellow Newfoundlanders? (Though myself , I am also a Ryder fan)

Centres : Koivu , Ribeiro , Perreault , Juneau , Kilger , Begin , Plekanec

Left Wingers : Bulis , Hossa , Sundstrom , Dwyer , Higgins

Right Wigners : Zednik , Ward , Ryder , Audette , Langdon , Dackell

RD : Brisebois , Rivet , Komisarek , Quintal* (can play ld)

LD : Markov , Souray , Bouillon , Hainsey

Goalies : Theodore , Garon

Man , what the hell are we going to do? 28 players currently (when healthy) , need to get down to 23. We need to cut 5... ... Plekanec and Higgins will obviously be cut (non-waiver eligible , so duh) that leaves 3 to be cut... One of Bouillon/Hainsey/Komisarek will be cut , so that leaves 2...

So who are the last 2 cuts? One of the guys we just acquired on waivers? Would we risk losing them so early? , What about Dwyer ? Is he expendable now that we have Langdon? , how about Dackell? He's kind of useless with Sunny around...

Going to be an interesting next few days...

My guess is that we send down Higgins/Plekanec/Hainsey/Dwyer/Begin. Who do you guys think will be the final 5 cuts?

What I'd like to see happen though... Send down Higgins/Plekanec/Hainsey/ , and try to trade Dackell and Juneau/Perreault (one of 2 , preferably both) (easier said than done)

[Edited on 2003-10-5 by puck7x]

We shouldnt judge too much Ward and Ryder. None of them even have a year of NHL experience . Personnally I like them both alot. They both use their size and are intense but I think Ryder has more top line potential then Ward.

Im personnally very happy Kilger will be our third line center. Hes huge, hes fast, he can play defense and when hes decides to be physical hes a dominant presence on the ice.

My lines:

Bulis-Koivu-Zednik

Hossa-Ribeiro-Audette

Ryder-Kilger-Ward

Langdon-Begin-Dwyer

Souray-Brisebois

Markov-Komisarek

Hainsey-Rivet

I think these are pretty much the best lines I can come up with. Its a pretty fast, intense and physical lineup but I personnally think Audette will be replaced during the year by Perezhogin. I didnt put Sundstrom but I figure you cant have goons play 82 games and they will be injuries. That third line is also make or break because it could be very intense but also inexperienced and might have problems with guys like Modano or Forsberg. Ribeiro might also be rid of if he doenst perform and I personnaly don't think Perreault is the answer. We should look for a big 2nd line center, if we can get a young talented one I say sacrafice some 1st rounders.

[Edited on 2003/10/5 by Habsaku]

Im not biased, I actually think the rest of the newfoundlanders in the league are bums (except maybe Jason king), especially Langdon. But a bum or not he's a tough guy and thats what the Habs need, he cant be any worse then Dwyer.

As for Ryder i think that he has proven that he's just as good or better then Ward and now is his time to be an NHLer. Ryder has been way better then Ward in the preseason, but if Ward steps it up in the regular season and out plays Ryder then thats fine with me.

I just want the best for the habs and right now unless Ward steps up Ryder will help the team more, nothing biased about that.

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11

Im not biased, I actually think the rest of the newfoundlanders in the league are bums (except maybe Jason king), especially Langdon.  But a bum or not he's a tough guy and thats what the Habs need, he cant be any worse then Dwyer.  

As for Ryder i think that he has proven that he's just as good or better then Ward and now is his time to be an NHLer.  Ryder has been way better then Ward in the preseason, but if Ward steps it up in the regular season and out plays Ryder then thats fine with me.  

I just want the best for the habs and right now unless Ward steps up Ryder will help the team more, nothing biased about that.

I'm just giving you a hard time , dont worry about it :) ,

My thinking is that Ward has proven more at the NHL level , so in my books he is ahead of Ryder. Plus look at last year in the AHL , while Ryder was AWESOME , Ward was the MVP of the league. I wouldnt be so hard on Ward because of his lousy preseason play this year , I read in an article last week (somewhere, forget where) that Ward always steps up his play for the regular season , because he knows it counts then. Plus with his history of injuries I can understand why he would be taking it easy in the preseason.

Alright look at last year in the AHL.........

let's switch both players situations at the beginning of last season, Put Ryder on the top line with Gratton and Rita. Put Ward either in the press box or on the fourth line getting probably 5 mins of ice time a game, being very close to being sent to the ECHL.

Ryder finished the season second on the team in points and first in goals (top 10 in the league in points, or maybe it was 12th or 13th), give him those 10-15 games where he either sat out or played a small role and he would have been the league MVP.

So, last season is not a lot to go by.

Anyway, no more arguements about these two, they're both good players and hopefully they both benefit the team!

p.s: Thanks for the exciting little debate Puck!! haha

Saku Koivu and Chad Kilger will not be available for the opener, and there are question marks surrounding Francis Bouillon and Richard Zednik, who tweaked his knee Saturday.  

Koivu has a strained medial collateral ligament in his right knee and the original prognosis was that he might be available for the home opener against Washington on Oct. 14.  

He skated last Monday and said he was ahead of schedule. But he has been on the ice only once since then and there's no timetable for him to resume skating.

Kilger has done some light skating and work in the gym, but is still recovering from a stick to the eye during training camp. The good news is his vision is improving; the bad news is it's still blurred.  

Bouillon is day-to-day with bruised ribs, and the Canadiens are awaiting word on Zednik, who left Saturday's game in the third period after straining his left knee. The medical staff will have a better idea of his condition after they see an MRI.

Zednik was the team's leading goal-scorer last season and the Canadiens could have used some goals during the preseason.

Hickey wrote it , so it might not be true but... Says Koivu/Kilger will not make the opener... And Zednik/Bouillon (if he makes the lineup anyways) might also not play. Looks like CJ has an extra few days to trim the roster.