Game Thread | Trade Deadline (habs Edition)

habsfan88

I've created this thread so that posters can talk about the Habs in the trade deadline. I noticed that Simonus created one in the NHL section, so I thought it would be fitting to have a Habs version of it.

Another reason why I have done this is because I've realised that quite often posters get sick and tired of reading new threads for a rumour that could turn out to be just silly.

So post all speculation - crazy or not - and talk about the deadline (HABS ONLY) In this thread.

:hlogo:

Edited by habsfan88

To kick it off, I will say that I have seen many things around rumor sites.

For defence, names that keep popping up are Derek Morris, Denis Gauthier, and Bryan Berard.

I hope that the Habs land Bell and at a reasonable price. He is 6'4 and he can score! (And he's young.)

By the way - Sorry for the double post but I prefered my first post to be more of the intro sort of thing...If you catch my drift.

I would love a guy like Bell,

Another couple of guys I was thinking are Wes Walz for this years version of Dowd (Walz is rumored to be available) and in a dream world I'd love to get Brian Rolston, but he'd be pretty expensive I would think, at a point a game this year and a reasonable 2.5M salary. But he or Bell would fit nice on this team.

D: Morris or Mara would be great but who knows what the chances are.

I'm interested to see if and what BG will do, and also to see where guys like Witt who we know will be traded end up.

I suspect that Gainey will make a pitch for Gauthier if he can be had at a reasonable price.

That said, there's really no reason to expect the Habs to make a significant Kovalev-esque move. The demand is high, and Montreal seemingly wants to hang onto youth. The few NHL ready ones we've got (which is the asking price would be for a big name), we need.

I wouldn't be surprised to see possibly one of Zednik, Bulis, Souray, Bouillon to move. However, I doubt it.

Walz would be nice, but if he was available he'd be perfect for a Cup contender, keep that in mind. Rolston isn't going anywhere, he just signed a generous contract to play in Minnesota (his hometown I believe) and he's shone.

I would expect the price for Bell to be extremely high. They aren't about to repeat a move like trading McCabe for Alexander Karpotsev. I'd wager they'd want one of Kostsityn or Perezhogin, seeing as how they've got a lack of any real offensive wingers in their system.

My dream would be for the Habs to acquire Selanne or Jokinen.

Don't think it will happen lol but it would be sick!

And by the way - Bell is in fact the ideal target for the Habs.

Does anyone know if this guy hits?

EDIT : I wanted to throw in this article that I found at The Fourth Period.com

With the trade deadline tomorrow at 3pm ET, the Montreal Gazette reports the Canadiens might decide to hang on to their current players.

While the paper claims the Habs could use a power forward and an impact defenseman, general manager Bob Gainey could possibly opt against completing a trade.

According to the Gazette, Gainey has already said he won't deal any of the team's young assets, like Alexander Perezhogin and Christopher Higgins.

Despite rumors that Richard Zednik, Radek Bonk or Mike Ribeiro are available, the for these players is uncertain.

Various reports have linked the Habs to the likes of Vancouver Todd Bertuzzi, Chicago's Mark Bell, Florida's Olli Jokinen, Minnesota's Filip Kuba and Phoenix's Paul Mara.

Edited by habsfan88

I'd wager they'd want one of Kostsityn or Perezhogin, seeing as how they've got a lack of any real offensive wingers in their system.

I'm sure any team in the league would want Perezhogin and Kostitsyn but what CHicago needs is a center.

If Ottawa is linked to Bertuzzi, I'm sure we can beat their offer for him.

Especially if what is rumored is true and they don't want to deal a roster player. I think I would rather get Bell, and the price for Bell SHOULD be lower than Bertuzzi too.

I would be willing to deal Perezhogin in a package as long as we get a good return, meaning a relatively young and relatively proven guy. I think Kostytsin will be better than him and I'd prefer to move one for a power type guy like Bell, so that our lines can be more balanced in future years.

And YES I'm waiting to get yelled at for that, by the way i'm also open to dealing Ryder, but the same conditions apply (relatively young and proven player, meaning it has to be worth our while)

Edited by gohabsgo252006

If Ottawa is linked to Bertuzzi, I'm sure we can beat their offer for him.

Especially if what is rumored is true and they don't want to deal a roster player. I think I would rather get Bell, and the price for Bell SHOULD be lower than Bertuzzi too.

I would be willing to deal Perezhogin in a package as long as we get a good return, meaning a relatively young and relatively proven guy. I think Kostytsin will be better than him and I'd prefer to move one for a power type guy like Bell, so that our lines can be more balanced in future years.

And YES I'm waiting to get yelled at for that, by the way i'm also open to dealing Ryder, but the same conditions apply (relatively young and proven player, meaning it has to be worth our while)

I would deal Perezhogin in a second for a big #2 center. We have lots of wingers and of all the young guys Perezhogin is the weakest.

Ryder I want to keep, if he can net 25-30 goals a season I am happy.

Since this is a trade thread i figured that i should post what Spector has reported as of 6:00 ET.

Roloson is now an Oiler for a first round pick and conditional player.

Leafs traded picks for Luke Richardson of the Blue Jackets (Possibly setting up an exit for McCabe)

Rangers traded Ville Niemenen? to San Jose.

Ill update this later tonite with anything new i find.

Since this is a trade thread i figured that i should post what Spector has reported as of 6:00 ET.

Roloson is now an Oiler for a first round pick and conditional player.

Leafs traded picks for Luke Richardson of the Blue Jackets (Possibly setting up an exit for McCabe)

Rangers traded Ville Niemenen? to San Jose.

Ill update this later tonite with anything new i find.

There's already a thread for non-habs deals...

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=5920&hl=

According to another site Zed, Bouillon and pick have left for Guerin. THIS IS NOT AT ALL CONFIRMED - RDS is the mentioned site. I'm checking on it now.

That is sweet. But who would play D where Bouillon was?

According to another site Zed, Bouillon and pick have left for Guerin. THIS IS NOT AT ALL CONFIRMED - RDS is the mentioned site. I'm checking on it now.

check it out... cause makes no sense unless u add Ryder... Guerin shoots right! and Zed has been a RW before but hmmmm hmmm the cube gone ... ME dont like!

There will be no trades for the Habs.

The asking price is way too high, especially considering what the Oilers had to deal for Roloson and the Canes for Doug Weight.

Gainey won't deal any of the young kids, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Perezhogin or Higgins ( this is a fact told by Gainey to the Montreal Gazette, not some stupid ######ing rumour sight) nor is he willing to give up high draft picks, and I don't blame him.

The only guys who would be an improvement for this club, Mara, Jokenin, Morris, Bell etc, would come at too high a cost. If Roloson commands a 1st Round pick + another conditional pick, what would a Jokenin or Paul Mara or Brendan Witt cost?

Richard Zednik, Mike Ribeiro, Jan Bulis and Radek Bonk do not bring back the returns of Mara or Jokenin.

I at the most see Gainey getting a depth defensman.....no use in bringing in a forward as theres already too many kicking around, and a goalie is out of the question as well.

Edited by kaos

Not too mention injury prone, an extremely bad attitude especially if you remember the 2002 Olympics when he was one of the principle trashers of the hotel rooms, and yeah, hes old and decrepid

Do you realize Guerin is 36 years old

Unless that pick is a 1st it's a steal for the Habs. We get an impact player who gives us a dynamite first line for some guys who barely make our team. By the time Guerin retires (in a couple of years) our prospects have bloomed and we remain contenders.

There will be no trades for the Habs.

The asking price is way too high, especially considering what the Oilers had to deal for Roloson and the Canes for Doug Weight.

Gainey won't deal any of the young kids, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Perezhogin or Higgins ( this is a fact told by Gainey to the Montreal Gazette, not some stupid ######ing rumour sight) nor is he willing to give up high draft picks, and I don't blame him.

The only guys who would be an improvement for this club, Mara, Jokenin, Morris, Bell etc, would come at too high a cost. If Roloson commands a 1st Round pick + another conditional pick, what would a Jokenin or Paul Mara or Brendan Witt cost?

Richard Zednik, Mike Ribeiro, Jan Bulis and Radek Bonk do not bring back the returns of Mara or Jokenin.

I at the most see Gainey getting a depth defensman.....no use in bringing in a forward as theres already too many kicking around, and a goalie is out of the question as well.

Kaos...Point taken, but think of Alex Kovalev. There were no Kovalev to Montreal rumours and there was no talk on here about him coming because every poster on this board knew that it was out of Montreal's hands. But sure enough, a young player and a 4th(?) round pick snagged him off a struggling team. I feel that we have the assets to bring in a player of Jokinen's calibur at the deadline.