Habs Mvp

Habsterr

P.J. Stock is on a one man crusade for Huet for Vezina, pretty fun to listen to, and I agree with the greater part of his argument.

Does anybody know if/what the minimum game requirement for Vezina consideration is?

Unfortunately, I can see Lundquist getting the Vezina as a consolation prize for losing the ROY to Ovechkin.

He seems to have played enough games to merit standings in Sav % and GAA as well as other categories, but I can't imagine him getting any votes considering he will only have played a maximum of 39 games this year. Most likely less.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll have to keep it up before we start making assumptions.

I agree completely on the Dandenault criticism, he has stepped up his play along with Sourray, Rivet and Markov have been great all year and Bouillon has been rock solid.

Our D corps is looking very solid since everyone has adapted and that Simpson pickup has brought another realm of toughness to our team.

HUET HUET HUET

I hope he likes the atmosphere here and BG can get him under contract. I really believe that Huet can be a similar story to Kipprusoff, taking over as #1 and becoming one of the best.

GO HUET GO

GO HABS GO

Habs Rookie of the Year: Chris Higgins

Habs Most Valuable Player: Andrei Markov

Higgins should be a unanimous pick for the ROY, so I'll jump straight to the Markov for MVP argument.

I think the "recency effect" is having some effect, enhancing Huet's value. While he has been phenomenal, there is no doubt about that, one must consider that Markov has played in 57 games, while Huet has only played in 30. In fact, he's only started 37% of the team's games. I have to give the edge to the guy who's played in significantly more games.

Even more telling, is the team's record with and without Markov in the lineup. Since the Olympic break, its almost been as simple as: if Markov's in, we win, if not, we lose. Also, he makes his defensive partner exponentially better, as the recent case of Komisarek has shown.

Finishing with Markov's stats, he logs the most icetime of any Canadien, leading 2nd place Rivet by a whole minute. His 41 points put him 5th on the team, and he leads the team with a +9, even though a lot of his points come on the PP. While Huet has been one of the best goalies in the NHL, the team has won 15 of his starts, while losing 12 (8 in regulation, 4 in OT). This doesn't mean Huet isn't valuable, but it adds some perspective, showing that the team has only 3 more wins than losses when he starts.

Keep in mind this race is very close, and could change between now and the end of the year. The part about Huet I like the most, is his ability to provide a calming influence for the rest of the team, a true sign of a valuable player. Only time will tell...

Until then, Go Markov, Go Huet, Go Habs Go!

-Dave

You can't really go by the amount of games played by either guy.

Simply put Montreal started out well and by Christmas was marred in a massive slump that was atleast 2 months long. Markov was playing steady through this, Huet was not. Huet starting playing regularly after the New Year and Montreal has pretty much been on a roll since. Climbing for as low as 9th spot to being tied for 6th.

Huet has given this team confidence. He hasn't been involved in 6-0, 5-1, 5-4 etc., losses that Theodore, and Aebischer were involved in.

He may have only played 30 games or so, but this guy definitley is the team MVP. Not Markov. He's second and to me, a distant second.

As a UFA-to-be, he'll be recognized for a stellar season financially... if not here, then elsewhere. Hopefully here.

can anyone tell me for sure if he is rfa or ufa I have seen conflicting reports for instance if you look at habs contracts on this site he is listed as rfa. This is only his 3rd season he was rookie with LA does he already qualify as an ufa?

MVP: Andrei Markov, one of the most underrated D-men in the league

Rookie: Higgins, obviously

Unsung Hero: Craig Rivet, who is having a career year offensively and is one of the team's real leaders.

Undeserved Criticism: Mathieau Dandenault, who despite everyone complaining that he is the worst D-man on the team, has put up a +7 on the season. That tells me he is doing his job.

I was going to write all this, apart from the Dandenault part (which I do agree with you on), but figured it'd be faster to just quote you :D.

However, if it were possible, HU-ET!!! for the Vezina. I doubt it can happen though.

Huet has given this team confidence. He hasn't been involved in 6-0, 5-1, 5-4 etc., losses that Theodore, and Aebischer were involved in.

This statement is simply incorrect.

Huet was in nets when we lost to Toronto 5-3 on March 7.

Huet was in nets for back-to-back 4 goal games against Washington and Atlanta back at the end of December.

Yes, Theo was involved in a lot more blowouts than Huet, but Theo has been one of the worst goalies in the NHL this year. So we can't use Theo as the standard for evaluating Huet.

-Dave

This statement is simply incorrect.

Huet was in nets when we lost to Toronto 5-3 on March 7.

Huet was in nets for back-to-back 4 goal games against Washington and Atlanta back at the end of December.

Yes, Theo was involved in a lot more blowouts than Huet, but Theo has been one of the worst goalies in the NHL this year. So we can't use Theo as the standard for evaluating Huet.

-Dave

We sure can use Theodore as a standard, he was the #1 goalie for this team for the first half of the year.

Just as we can use Aebischer.

Does that mean that because Dandenault and Souray didn't play all that well at the beginning of the year, you can't compare him to Markov....nonsense

We sure can use Theodore as a standard, he was the #1 goalie for this team for the first half of the year.

Just as we can use Aebischer.

Does that mean that because Dandenault and Souray didn't play all that well at the beginning of the year, you can't compare him to Markov....nonsense

First, you never addressed the fact that there have been times when Huet was the starter and allowed a significant number of goals, including a span of 8 goals in 2 games.

Second, to clarify my statement, you can't compare Huet to Theodore to make the case that Huet is a great goaltender. Its like saying that Kovalev is one of the better players in the league because he's better than Sundstrom. Yeah, obviously he's better than Sundstrom, but who cares? He is expected to be better. Just like I would expect anyone to put up better numbers than Theo has this year. The imporant point: If we believe that Huet is an elite goalie, one who is deserving to be the MVP of Les Glorieux, that he should be compared to the standard of other elite goaltenders. So my statement is not nonsense.

Third, you said that the team has been on a roll since the New Year, when Huet started to play on a regular basis. Again, your statement is incorrect. Since the New Year, the Canadiens have 18 wins and 17 losses, basically playing .500 hockey. Some roll. And that's after our recent 4-game winning streak. So I ask that we have some perspective and evaluate the truth.

-Dave

Edited by Dave from Vancouver

For a slightly blasphamous comparison, here is Theodore's 2002 season:

67 GP

.931 SVG

2.11 GAA

7 Shutouts

....and that was in the "old" NHL when hooking & holding were commonplace w/o penalty, making Huet's stats this year even more astounding.

First, you never addressed the fact that there have been times when Huet was the starter and allowed a significant number of goals, including a span of 8 goals in 2 games.

Second, to clarify my statement, you can't compare Huet to Theodore to make the case that Huet is a great goaltender. Its like saying that Kovalev is one of the better players in the league because he's better than Sundstrom. Yeah, obviously he's better than Sundstrom, but who cares? He is expected to be better. Just like I would expect anyone to put up better numbers than Theo has this year. The imporant point: If we believe that Huet is an elite goalie, one who is deserving to be the MVP of Les Glorieux, that he should be compared to the standard of other elite goaltenders. So my statement is not nonsense.

Third, you said that the team has been on a roll since the New Year, when Huet started to play on a regular basis. Again, your statement is incorrect. Since the New Year, the Canadiens have 18 wins and 17 losses, basically playing .500 hockey. Some roll. And that's after our recent 4-game winning streak. So I ask that we have some perspective and evaluate the truth.

-Dave

Without question the reason the Habs are playing as well as they are is because of Huet. When Aebischer has been in the, the team has lost twice and barely hung on to beat Pittsburgh.

Yes Huet has had a few let downs, but this has been the exception more than the rule. This guy is the only reason that Montreal is winning games. Montreal may be hot right now, but its not due to great offensive performances, nor good defense. Its because Huet is standing on his head for this club.

Huet, even though he has only played 30 games, is in the top of the league in Save %, GAA and SO. Markov is barely in the top 20 of defenseman in Points. If you look at goals and +/- he is even further down the stat sheet.

Huet is the reason these guys are in the playoff picture right now. Not Markov, not Koivu, not Ryder, not Sheldon Souray. Huet.

Huet definitely gets the nod on MVP since the Olympic break. We've had a lot of players step up at different times throughout this year and monthly honors would probably be a better gauge of who's hot and who's not.

Souray was stinking the place out early in the year and a lot of fans wanted his head and now look at him go. Same could be said of Bonk. If we can only get Zednik going again this machine of a team is gonna be hard to stop.

My Vote as of now is for co-MVP's but what I am most excited about is that all these threads are so popular because (habs fans) are excited about the possibility of a great playoffs and the fact that we have more than one candidate for MVP makes it all better.

I agree. I wonder when Montreal will have a superstar forward or defenseman personally. Haven't had those since what when Lafleur retired? Now that I think about the 90's superstar was of course Roy..but no one really after that. Of course Theodore was a superstar, but he sorta followed up with a so-so year after winning everything and his light really dimmed..

I agree. I wonder when Montreal will have a superstar forward or defenseman personally. Haven't had those since what when Lafleur retired? Now that I think about the 90's superstar was of course Roy..but no one really after that. Of course Theodore was a superstar, but he sorta followed up with a so-so year after winning everything and his light really dimmed..

Naslund and Bobby Smith were decent. Turgeon didn't get to play long enough here.

But yeah I guess Lafleur could be considered the last superstar

Markov norris next season?

I doubt it. I don't think he's that good. He's underrated, but not Norris quality. But boy do I hope he proves me wrong

I doubt it. I don't think he's that good. He's underrated, but not Norris quality. But boy do I hope he proves me wrong

For the sheer fact of how bad the team is when he doesnt play i think that given the proper circumstances (ie Team) Markov could definatly win the norris. our guys simply dont finnish enough.

For the sheer fact of how bad the team is when he doesnt play i think that given the proper circumstances (ie Team) Markov could definatly win the norris. our guys simply dont finnish enough.

Its not only about being offensively capable, its about being a shutdown defensman as well. And Markov is not known for being a stellar shutdown defensman. He's good, but not great.

He's not Norris quality. Lidstrom, now theres a Norris quality guy. And he'll walk away with it again this year. Markov isn't in his class....its no disrespect, the guy is just amazing

Yeah, that's true.

But anyways yeah..Mats Naslund and Bobby Smith were good but not great. Turgeon well he had the talent for 100pt years for a while, but supposedly Montreal management didnt like him and he didnt like Montreal. Not much of a superstar.

Markov as Habs MVP no question. He brings so much to the team when healthy. He makes those around him so much better. PP, PK, solid at both ends of the ice, logs enormous ice time. Look how efficient and confident Komisarek looks when playing with Markov. Mtl's power play is so much more dangerous with him on the line. The win loss record without Markov in the lineup is an incredible stat also. I believe he would get the player's vote for MVP.