Official Hab's Nicknames

CoRvInA

my friends and I call BEGIN the Shark because he just honestly looks like one, especially with thos beautiful light blue eyes of his... and when he skates its always with his head down as if hes stalkin his prey.

Downey = Downer (not in a mean way)

everything else was already said

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that alot of these players who are getting nicknames from us on the board also get called the same thing by their teammates. (when they are mic'd from the games)

And a small reminder people, the reason that this forum was created was for *discussion*. Not for a bunch of idiots critisizing what each other say! I don't mind this thread at all because it makes for discussion. You don't have to reply if you don't want to.

actually i think sheldon souray's nickname is obviesly ''shelly''....just to prove it when Spezza shouted is nickname souray just passed the puck behind him onto the stick of spezza into a empty goal...so i am pretty positive its shelly :P

I believe Begin and some other French Habs players call huet "the cousin" because he is French.

Makes sense it would be a funny flip on the French (as in France) usage of 'cousin' to refer to Quebecois! I like "Pierogi" for Perezoghin, what a fit -- now why didn't we think of that?

250px-Ruskie.jpg

I made up (or atleast I thought I did) Perogy before the season but everyone started calling him Zhog so I joined the bandwagon.

Sundstrom - Sunny or Sunny D

Bulis - Bubu or Jan the Man (okay I just made that one up right now)

Ribeiro - Ribs or Spare Ribs

Aebischer - Aebi or Aebi the Habbie

Koivu - Captain K

Kovalev - Kovy or AK27 or Special K

Kostitsyn - AK46

Bouillon - Cube

Zednik - Zed or Zeddy or Z-Man

Komisarek - Komo or Komi or Komisaurus

Rivet - Rivs

Plekanec - Plex or Pleky

Perezhogin - Perogy or Zhog or Perez or Snoop Zhoggy Zhog

Latendresse - Gui or Tender

Markov - Marky

Dandenault - Dandy

Huet - Cristowall or The French Bench or The Cousin or Crystal Ball (sounds like Cristobal)

Dagenais - Dags

This is all I can think of for the moment. To whoever said it, I thought of Darth Murray too. :)

I think I remember Ribiero saying "Salut Sunshine" to Sundstrom in the Halloween party video.

And I think we should keep this to what the thread was originally meant to be, nicknames between players.

hey guys!!!

just wanted to share sumthing with u guys!

on Énergie 94.3FM in montréal, they had a lil phone interview with huet's wife and they asked her how huet's friends actually call him (like, nicknames),then she said that most of them call him *Cristo* and even *Toto* -- but for us, in french (québec), calling someone *toto* is not very *interesting / positive*... but she said that if people call him *toto*, he would be "happy" about that~

oh well :)

hey guys!!!

just wanted to share sumthing with u guys!

on Énergie 94.3FM in montréal, they had a lil phone interview with huet's wife and they asked her how huet's friends actually call him (like, nicknames),then she said that most of them call him *Cristo* and even *Toto* -- but for us, in french (québec), calling someone *toto* is not very *interesting / positive*... but she said that if people call him *toto*, he would be "happy" about that~

oh well :)

Toto? A French-Canadien idiom no doubt, could you roughly translate what it means for us anglos?

umm... can't really translate it... it's more like the feeling of the word *toto* sounds weird... like... *dumb* or *######ed*... maybe it's bcoz of the way we call someone *tata* (which is also related to dumb / ######ed) that makes *toto* having the same feeling...

umm... can't really translate it... it's more like the feeling of the word *toto* sounds weird... like... *dumb* or *######ed*... maybe it's bcoz of the way we call someone *tata* (which is also related to dumb / ######ed) that makes *toto* having the same feeling...

Ah okay, thanks! I promise I won't call my French teacher that... :D

• 6 months later...
Bump for Huzer! I think the Mr. Bonkers is somewhere in there... no Mr. Binkers though...

I think Higgins is called Higgy or Higs.

After last night's pick of Murray with that huge afro, Ogie is way too fitting!

Bonkers is easy enough to figure out, but Binkers? I thought he was referring to an SNL skit or a muppet.

Just heard Murray thanking Perezogin for his great pass his first goal of two....but called number 42 "Perogy" I Laughed my head off

and I remembered Someone else I think it was Rivet on another post game commentary calling Huet "Huey"

Rivet is Ribs or Rivs from Souray's mouth what else do know of?

he probably didnt call him Huey, he probably called him Huet, but the way you purnounce it sounds like their is a Y

I remember reading that the other Habs call Bouillon "Bou", but everyone I know has been calling him the Cube for so long - it fits him so well, because of the name and how he's shaped.

And I think "The Hammer" is one of Souray's official locker-room nicknames, though he gets "Shel" in the heat of the moment.

I prefer my own nicknames for a lot of the players - I don't understand why some people in this thread find that kind of thing so upsetting. Here's a sampling:

Perezhogin = The Shogun (b/c of his name combined with the Samurai move he pulled to get suspended from the AHL for a year)

Theodore = Stinky (i.e. The Odor(e), and the way he'd been playing before being traded)

Ryder = Easy (as in Easy Rider)

Bonk = Bonky Kong, also Sonic (that one's too stupid to explain)

Dandenault = Doc (M.D. - also, I never liked "Dandy")

Niinimaa = Acropolis (as in, Janne live at the...)

Also, I think Kovalev has had the fan nickname AK 27 since his Pittsburgh days.

Edited by Oleg Petrov

I remember reading that the other Habs call Bouillon "Bou", but everyone I know has been calling him the Cube for so long - it fits him so well, because of the name and how he's shaped.

And I think "The Hammer" is one of Souray's official locker-room nicknames, though he gets "Shel" in the heat of the moment.

I prefer my own nicknames for a lot of the players - I don't understand why some people in this thread find that kind of thing so upsetting. Here's a sampling:

Perezhogin = The Shogun (b/c of his name combined with the Samurai move he pulled to get suspended from the AHL for a year)

Theodore = Stinky (i.e. The Odor(e), and the way he'd been playing before being traded)

Ryder = Easy (as in Easy Rider)

Bonk = Bonky Kong, also Sonic (that one's too stupid to explain)

Dandenault = Doc (M.D. - also, I never liked "Dandy")

Niinimaa = Acropolis (as in, Janne live at the...)

Also, I think Kovalev has had the fan nickname AK 27 since his Pittsburgh days.

Heheh, great nicknames, although the Shogun one kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Also, not too sure if I get the Acropolis joke?

Their was an ad in USA hockey magazine, it has kovalev with these two hot flight attendents, with his plane in the background, and the models are holding Kovalevs new warrior sticks, in big letters on the bottom it says AK-27, i just thought it was funny :P

I don't mind if you have your own player nicknames, everyone does. What's annoying is if I were to see a thread that simply says "Did you see the play by The Shogun last night? Mr Binkers had a great pass to him after Acropolis dumped it up along the boards." How the hell would I figure out who anyone is talking about? It's hard enough decifering some posts without having to figure out what players are being discussed.

Just a pet peeve of mine...I can't stand when people always have to use metaphors, catch phrases, nicknames constantly. This is something a LOT of local sports announcers are guilty of. If I here Craig Laughlin say "biscuit in the basket" one more freaking time, I'm flying down to Washington to kick his arse.