Barry Melrose Praises Huet

Huet latest Montreal goalie to hit it big

By Barry Melrose

Special to ESPN.com

We're another week closer to the playoffs and teams are still fighting to separate themselves from the pack.

Teams like Montreal and Anaheim are hitting their stride, while Buffalo and Nashville are looking like they're backing into the playoffs.

THE GOOD

One of the biggest stories of the second half of the season is the play of Montreal goaltender Cristobal Huet. This guy is unbelievable. He is winning games, and winning them impressively. He is winning games at a stressful time of the season, when every game means so much. And he's going all of this under the pressures that only come with playing in storied Montreal. A lot of players can't handle that pressure. Huet is making it look so easy.

The Canadiens have won seven straight games. During that stretch, Huet is 6-0 with a 1.32 goals-against average and two shutouts. Oh, and he has seven shutouts this season!

It seems like Huet has come out of nowhere, but the Canadiens have a knack for finding goalies, drafting them and developing them into solid NHL starters. Look at Jose Theodore (maybe not this season), Mathieu Garon and Jocelyn Thibault, and all-time greats like Patrick Roy, Ken Dryden and Jacques Plante.

Now, with Huet, Montreal hasn't had a bad game of goaltending in about 25 games. I've said it before: Theodore's injury put the Canadiens into the playoffs. If he was still in Montreal, I don't think he would have kept his team in the playoff race

It seems like Huet has come out of nowhere, but the Canadiens have a knack for finding goalies, drafting them and developing them into solid NHL starters. Look at Jose Theodore (maybe not this season), Mathieu Garon and Jocelyn Thibault, and all-time greats like Patrick Roy, Ken Dryden and Jacques Plante.

Not to forget Tomas Vokoun.

mtl had vokoun i just found out now lol but wow and we lost him who ever the gm was at the time pure moron...( oh and i just staretd loveing hockey 3 yrs ago )

Edited by koivu-11

Saw this article a few days ago - about time the Habs got some love in the media.

Just curious whether Barry thinks we actually drafted Huet, and Thibault for that matter. Maybe he's just praising the goaltending coaching department..... :huh:

mtl had vokoun i just found out now lol but wow and we lost him who ever the gm was at the time pure moron...( oh and i just staretd loveing hockey 3 yrs ago )

He was lost in an expansion draft, how was the GM a moron? Your only aloud to protect 1 goalie.

nashville also «stole» sébastien bordeleau from us

but we'll forgive, they «gave» bouillon back

Right, well either way they had to let soemone go. Who knew Vokun would turn out so well

Or Thibault so bad.. :D

Or Thibault so bad.. :D

How the hell do you figure he was so bad? What would make you think there was any reason to keep Vokun over Thibault?

Was it the 2.83, 2.47 or 2.61 GAA he put up? Nope, thats not very bad. Was it the 0.910, 0.906, or 0.908 sav %? Oh your looking at his record? Yeah he was playing infront of a shitty team.

Montreal made the right move at the right time. Nobody could predict that Vokun would turn out to be so good.

Right, well either way they had to let soemone go. Who knew Vokun would turn out so well

Not me, for sure, after seeing him play that full 20' against the flyers. The kid let in 4 goals, got pulled and never came back. Too bad.

Yep, Vokoun got 20' to show his skills. Coach Tremblay tried to shake things up. Didn't work out.

20'.

The rest you know.

How the hell do you figure he was so bad? What would make you think there was any reason to keep Vokun over Thibault?

Was it the 2.83, 2.47 or 2.61 GAA he put up? Nope, thats not very bad. Was it the 0.910, 0.906, or 0.908 sav %? Oh your looking at his record? Yeah he was playing infront of a shitty team.

Montreal made the right move at the right time. Nobody could predict that Vokun would turn out to be so good.

As usual, Kaos, you misinterpret to the degree that I sound like an idiot... take a deep breath, and read carefully... IMO, Vokoun is much better than Thibault NOW... regardless of what team he's playing for... that's all I was trying to get across...

geez...