Ryder In Ot

Nilan25

I hate to play the blame game but I will. Ryder was directly responsible for that goal in overtime. He failed to clear the puck in his own zone on the wing (as usual) and then compounded the error by not getting the puck deep in to the offensive zone when he had full control of it. Guys that have to go Bulis, Zednik, Dadenault, Sundstrom. Also, deeply disappointed by Perezhogin's play in the playoffs. Just awful. Markov not exactly the star he should be during these last 4 gamed either.

Dandenault ? He was arguably MTL's best defenceman in this serie ... he skated hard, played hard and hit even harder !

The line of Zednik - Plekanec - Perezhogin was also MTL's best line for games 3, 4 & 5. Perezhogin & Zednik played good hockey, but couldn't put the puck in the net. Keep in mind it was Zhogs first playoffs ...

Ryder, Bulis and Markov I agree ... Ryder made too many mistakes, Bulis was just ... eh ... Bulis and Markov could give us more than that.

Bob needs to add to his offensive power in the offseason ... no doubt..

I'm not disagreeing but consider the fact that there are many many mistakes made in a hockey game and so you can't isolate one because it results in a goal and say "Ryder's fault" because any one of the others could also have lead to a goal. It is just bad luck for Ryder and Rivet and remember the Habs were making a change on the play as well.

I hate to play the blame game but I will. Ryder was directly responsible for that goal in overtime. He failed to clear the puck in his own zone on the wing (as usual) and then compounded the error by not getting the puck deep in to the offensive zone when he had full control of it. Guys that have to go Bulis, Zednik, Dadenault, Sundstrom. Also, deeply disappointed by Perezhogin's play in the playoffs. Just awful. Markov not exactly the star he should be during these last 4 gamed either.

to blame one play for loses.. is dumb.. if you dont know hockey is a team sport, and to win the game with only scoreing one goal..well dont happen..and ryder being our best goal score for the year, i dont think it all his fault. their guy that got to go like Ribs...Ryder is going to be a good second line winger

Ryder is going to be a good second line winger

Like François Gagnon (writer on cyberpresse.ca) says, Ryder is probably the worst 30 goals scorer in the NHL. I think he should be shop this summer, because his value is as high as it's ever going to be. The only thing he can do is wait for the puck and shoot it fast. His feel and brain for the game isn't that good. Don't get me wrong, I like what he did for the Habs, but he isn't a great hockey player ...

To say Ryder was directly responsible for that goal is totally wrong., he was just one part of an unforunate chain of events. If Zohin played so poorly how was his line able to be the most consistant throughout the series. Why does Dandenault have to go, he had a great series.

to blame one play for loses.. is dumb.. if you dont know hockey is a team sport, and to win the game with only scoreing one goal..well dont happen..and ryder being our best goal score for the year, i dont think it all his fault. their guy that got to go like Ribs...Ryder is going to be a good second line winger

I am not saying get rid of the guy but it is fundamental to clear the puck out of your zone and get it in deep in the defensive zone. This is an unaceptable breakdown. This is stuff you learn in peewee hockey, even with the bad change if he dumped the puck effectively nothing would have happened. I don't care how many goals you score you have to pay attention to other elements of the game. Also you are being to kind to Zednik and Perezhogin, while the effort seemed to be there early in the series they were by and lrge in effective.

Dadenault was not even close to our best defenceman. Bouillon was followed by Souray. Dadenault is physically overmatched constantly, has no offensive upside even with his skating ability and makes poor decisions in his own zone.

Like François Gagnon (writer on cyberpresse.ca) says, Ryder is probably the worst 30 goals scorer in the NHL. I think he should be shop this summer, because his value is as high as it's ever going to be. The only thing he can do is wait for the puck and shoot it fast. His feel and brain for the game isn't that good. Don't get me wrong, I like what he did for the Habs, but he isn't a great hockey player ...
Thats Francois Gagnons opinion, that doesn't make it right. "The worst 30 goal scorer" what a stupid statement.

He's also a kid who, in his second year in the league, scored more goals than anyone else on the team. Dumping 30-goal guys because they have things to learn is NOT the way to build a winner.

Remember - young teams make mistakes. Chill out. And if Ryder's name was Bilodeau, I doubt that that absurd comment about him being the 'worst 30 goal scorer' would have materialized.

Thats Francois Gagnons opinion, that doesn't make it right. "The worst 30 goal scorer" what a stupid statement.

Well I kinda agree with him ... I'd have to make the exercise, but if we list all the 30 goals scorer in the NHL, where would Ryder rank ?

And another thing - nobody 'has to go' except, in my opinion, Ribeiro. And that's because he is simply too weak a second-line centre for this team to carry. Too much of the rhetoric after last night has centred around 'getting rid' of guys, as hough you make your team better by dumping people. Everyone is expendable except the young players, but addition by subtraction is almost always crappy math.

Well I kinda agree with him ... I'd have to make the exercise, but if we list all the 30 goals scorer in the NHL, where would Ryder rank ?

Anybody ambitious enough to do that?? It might be interesting.

Zednik "has to go" and is much more a liability than Ribs or Ryder, IMO.

I was a big fan of Zednik; but sad to say, since the McLaren hit Zed hasn't been the same. He's not as kamikaze anymore and that was his biggest asset. Now he has only 2 moves: "freeze-in-front-of-the-D-hoping-he'll-dissapear-if-he-waits-long-enough" and "go-around-the-net-try-to-spin-around-the-other-side-and-miss-his-shot". On top of that, Zednik can't pass for shit, and when his own D-men try to clear the puck on his side, there's 99.9% odds the puck will stay in the Habs zone because Zed can't clear it.

So what if Zed hustles and show some spark despite not scoring more? That's what I'm expecting from 4th line grinders and rookies. Not one-dimensional defensive liabilities supposed-scoring almost-30 veterans like Zednik.

Rivet is my scapegoat. He aided two Carolina goals in this series :angry:

1 was the tying marker in game 3. Remember, he deflected it 5 hole on Huet and 2 happened in OT last night.

He also couldnt put the puck on the net when on offense.

I think the Habs really need to find a #1 pair right-side D who can play on the PP opposite Markov. Komisarek isnt ready for that yet, and neither Dandy or Rivet are of that caliber.

Edited by KoZed

I agree with the Chic Cuke - young players will make mistakes. We're building a team with youth, and the rewards will come in time. One mistake did not cost us this series. I, for one, was quite impressed with Ryder's overall effort in the game, and the series in general. He'll never be a complete two-way player, but he's showed he's a competitor with a talent for scoring, which we need. We just need to improve the supporting cast surrounding him, Kovalev, and Koivu.

if you can find a guy to replace him for the same price and score 30 goal and at the same age .. i would be impress because no team would trade that guy a way.. even if he is the worst 30 goal score i can live with that because HE STILL SCORE 30 GOALS AND THIER NOT A LOT OF PLAYER WHO CAN DO THAT.. and he did it in his second year..

Not sure what series you were watching, but Dandenault was excellent. I don't expect Ryder to be excellent defensively, I want him to score 30 goals. Offensively he could have been better, but losing Koivu hurt alot.

Ryder is a guy who scores goals...nothing more....he needs a guy (Richards would fit well) who can feed him the puck.

I was very impressed by Perezhogins play. I thought he competed well for his first playoffs and don't blame him at all for his lack of point production. Its not like he was playing on a top line or anything. This kid has moves, a good shot, and doesn't fear traffic going to the net. He's going to be a 20-30 goal scorer down the road. Just needs some time and some linemates

I'll agree Bulis has to go along with SUndstrom.

RK Player Team Pos GP G A Pts +/- PPG ESG SHG 1G OTG GWG GTG HmG RdG DvG ODvG ENG G/G

42 CHRIS DRURY BUF C 81 30 37 67 -11 16 12 2 5 1 5 0 16 14 13 17 2 .37

43 SHANE DOAN PHX R 82 30 36 66 -9 17 13 0 6 0 7 0 15 15 11 19 1 .37

44 MIKE COMRIE PHX C 80 30 30 60 2 10 20 0 7 0 4 0 17 13 9 21 4 .38

45 ERIK COLE CAR L 60 30 29 59 19 3 24 3 3 0 8 0 14 16 9 21 0 .50

46 MICHAEL RYDER MTL R 81 30 25 55 -5 18 12 0 4 2 6 0 17 13 11 19 0 .37

47 PETR PRUCHA NYR R 68 30 17 47 3 16 14 0 7 0 2 0 18 12 10 20 0 .44

Edited by olematelot

He scored 30 goals so he must be just as good as any other 30 goal scorer ...

No and that's exactly my point ... exemple : Justin Williams & Patrice Bergeron each scored 31 goals this season. Tell me, with a straight face, that Micheal Ryder is as good as these 2 guys. Hell ... Sakic & Thornton scored 32 goals ! Ryder can't be as good as Joe !

I'm not saying we should absolutly trade him (and it's not François Gagnon's point either) but the guy isn't that good even if he puts up good offensive stats.

Maybe another GM, blinded as we are by the 30 goals, could overpay for Ryder and it could be good for the Habs.

Edited by Theberge43

No and that's exactly my point ... exemple : Justin Williams & Patrice Bergeron each scored 31 goals this season. Tell me, with a straight face, that Micheal Ryder is as good as these 2 guys.

I'm not saying we should absolutly trade him (and it's not François Gagnon's point either) but the guy isn't that good even if he puts up good offensive stats.

Maybe another GM, blinded as we are by the 30 goals, could overpay for Ryder and it could be good for the Habs.

You're being selective here, picking those two players. For that matter take all the players who scored between 29 and 31 goals and you tell me with a straight face that Ryder is the worst player among them. Check something else, how many of those players were drafted in the 8th round or lower. Anybody who scores 30 goals in the NHL is good.

The blame game is rampant again.....

No pleasing some people is there?

Let's be realistic - no hockey prognasticator worth his money picked the Habs to win this series.

1/ They confounded all the experts through two games largely as a result of Martin Gerber and his ineffectiveness.

2 Then a team that had their number all season pulled it together in time to avoid being upset by an underdog.

3/ They were beat on an innocent shot that was the result of a broken play in the nuetral zone - because their backchecker and defence were up to the task. Not because Ryder always fails to do this!

4/ The puck ended up behind Huet simply because Rivet instinctively did what every defenceman is taught not to do starting from day 1 - never attempt to deflect a clear shot on your own goalie(I'm sure every coach wants to reach out and strangle a player when that happens.)

5/ Perezhogin - my goodness! We're talking about a rookie who isn't expected to lead this team. At times his stickhandling in the offensive zone was outstanding as he showed flashes of what is yet to come for this kid. Anybody disappointed in this kid's play is guilty of expecting the moon and the stars from mere dust on the ground?

Time to take a chill pill and realize that the Habs did precisely what many in the know expected. Take it to 6 or 7 games and not advance. They played as well as Carolina did 5 on 5 and at times were better. They just weren't good enough to finish this team off when they had a chance to once Ward entered the picture......

Edited by beliveau1

The blame game is rampant again.....

No pleasing some people is there?

Let's be realistic - no hockey prognasticator worth his money picked the Habs to win this series.

1/ They confounded all the experts through two games largely as a result of Martin Gerber and his ineffectiveness.

2 Then a team that had their number all season pulled it together in time to avoid being upset by an underdog.

3/ They were beat on an innocent shot that was the result of a broken play in the nuetral zone - because their backchecker and defence were up to the task. Not because Ryder always fails to do this!

4/ The puck ended up behind Huet simply because Rivet instinctively did what every defenceman is taught not to do from day 1 - to attempt to deflect a clear shot on your own goalie(I'm sure every coach wants to reach out and strangle a player when that happens.)

5/ Perezhogin - my goodness! We're talking about a rookie who isn't expected to lead this team. At times his stickhandling in the offensive zone was outstanding as he showed flashes of what is yet to come for this kid. Anybody disappointed in this kid's play is guilty of expecting the moon and the stars from mere dust on the ground?

Time to take a chill pill and realize that the Habs did precisely what many in the know expected. Take it to 6 or 7 games and not advance. They played as well as Carolina did 5 on 5 and at times were better. They just weren't good enough to finish this team off when they had a chance to once Ward entered the picture......

Well said Beliveau1

I lay ALL the blame on Cam Ward and those pesky posts.

I've said it before, great series and a great effort.

Absolutley. Well Montreal popgun offense is to blame as well. But Ward did look good witht he little pressure Montreal mustard