Yashin Option?

GoHabs2002

I thought # 3 might be better written 'Perezhogin body's Yashin out for the season ' (since big Al is our resident cement-head on-ice killer. :wacko::blink::wacko: )

:king: :hlogo: :king:

yeah ask primeau about it :lol:

Not many people have liked this trade (Yashin and #1 pick for Ribs or other junk or nothing) but I think I might do it.

There is lots of discussion here about which free agent we want. However there are 30 teams with many having cap space looking for UFA's. The top few will mainly resign with their own teams and there will be bidding wars for the rest. Personally I'd love to get Selanne or Peca because they are playing so well. But the ones playing well are the ones that are the most likely to be resigned. I am not sure we will be able to use the cap space we saved by trading Theo (except for a few minor improvements -see Dandinault).

If we are going to get a top player, I think it will have to be one who is unpopular, expecially with his own team. If this is correct we will be taking a risk whomever we sign.

Just think, would you sign Jagr for 8 million a year? Would you have done that one year ago? Gainey needs to decide whether Yashin will ever return to anything like the level of his Ottawa days. But maybe all he needs is a change of scenery. If so this trade could be the biggest steals of all time!

Edited by Peter Puck

Just think, would you sign Jagr for 8 million a year? Would you have done that one year ago? Gainey needs to decide whether Yashin will ever return to anything like the level of his Ottawa days. But maybe all he needs is a change of scenery. If so this trade could be the biggest steals of all time!

the biggest steal was when ottawa traded yashin for chara, their #2 overall ( spezza) and a dozen of used sticks( bill muckalt)

as for his level of play back in ottawa: not even a point per game average. never as he reached the 100 pts mark.

biggest waist of money of all time in the NHL

Even when he was so "terrible", Jagr was still one of the league's best players, and I never bought the "he doesn't care" crap. Playing in Washigton, he just didn't have the same support cast, he had half the ice time, and he played in a defensive system that he hated. Despite all this, he still managed to score more than a point-per-game during his time with the Caps, and although they may have been diappointed with his performances, I don't think they thought he was a cancer in the organization.

Yashin however has been considered a major head case in Ottawa and also in Long Island. There is no doubt that he has top skills, perhaps even more than Kovalev, but everyone seems to agree that he has absolutely no passion for the game, and that he's no making effort to be a consistent top performer. Besides, considering he's making the maximum allowed by the NHL (maybe even more), I believe we can do a lot better with that kind of money, heck let's pursue Lidstrom for that price tag! Otherwise, Redden or JovoCop will cost less...

Yashin however has been considered a major head case in Ottawa and also in Long Island. There is no doubt that he has top skills, perhaps even more than Kovalev, but everyone seems to agree that he has absolutely no passion for the game, and that he's no making effort to be a consistent top performer. Besides, considering he's making the maximum allowed by the NHL (maybe even more), I believe we can do a lot better with that kind of money, heck let's pursue Lidstrom for that price tag! Otherwise, Redden or JovoCop will cost less...

Some people would say the same about Fedorov. But look what he did in Detroit, around a solid support system, in players, coaches and management. He dominated and was the catalyst for the Wings' offense for their first 2 cups.

Jagr had that same support in Pittsburgh and now in NY, Yashin has never had that support. Ottawa never supported him publically, defended him somewhat in the beginning, but nothing categoric and NYI simply placed him the lineup and expected him to do miracles. The Habs have shown time in and time out that they will support their players absolutely and they will not let anyone outside influence the locker room: People started questionning Koivu's place in the team, Gainey gives him a no trade clause, people boo Brisebois, Gainey calls them out.

My two concerns would be the 5-years left and whether, if no one bites on the 1st round pick offer, if NYI buy him out and we can get him for 2.5-3m and a shorter term.

It would be quite the gamble, and chances are Gainey wouldn't take it. He's got a rookie head coach in Carbonneau coming next season and wouldn't want to have another ex-Sens centre underperforming, and in Yashin's case, creating a press controversy. Like it or not, Montreal would quickly have a reputation for being suckers for longterm overpaid deals if Yashin fizzled a la Bonk.

I think the team most likely to be give Yashin a chance would be Washington. It's no secret that they need a playmaker for Alexander Ovechkin, and Yashin would probably thrive in a low pressure situation, playing alongside such a phenomenal talent. Expectations would be low. The key holding them back is that their owner, Ted Leonsis, is wary of big contracts because of the Jagr debacle. But if he was out on the open market (UFA), they'd snap him up.

It would be quite the gamble, and chances are Gainey wouldn't take it. He's got a rookie head coach in Carbonneau coming next season and wouldn't want to have another ex-Sens centre underperforming, and in Yashin's case, creating a press controversy. Like it or not, Montreal would quickly have a reputation for being suckers for longterm overpaid deals if Yashin fizzled a la Bonk.

I think the team most likely to be give Yashin a chance would be Washington. It's no secret that they need a playmaker for Alexander Ovechkin, and Yashin would probably thrive in a low pressure situation, playing alongside such a phenomenal talent. Expectations would be low. The key holding them back is that their owner, Ted Leonsis, is wary of big contracts because of the Jagr debacle. But if he was out on the open market (UFA), they'd snap him up.

If Yashin signs for 2.5-3M (which I doubt) then we'd be considered the winners of the gamble if he put together a season as good as Bonks was this year.

But no to Yashin. He's just not worth it.

Well it looks like if a poll was taken on Habsworld.net Yashin is not an option for the Habs.

Oh I would love to steal 2 first round picks out of the ISLE to take this guy; they are going to be pretty bad for a while. 2 more Staal brothers soon in the NHL, to have a shot at one of them would be excellent.