Mario Tremblay As Carbonneau's Assistant Coach?

shortcat1

An RDS.ca article written by Pierre Houde states that the 'ideal' assistant coach for Guy Carbonneau is MARIO TREMBLAY.

I guess...

As a coach, he had some great success for a while, at least. Yet, he was a major part in the loss of Patrick Roy and probably some other major players during his tenure. So, with that history, one would wonder.

Yet, like all people, he can change, he can grow & mature (except for me, of course) and become a better man from having learned from his errors. Also, he might have been a better assistant coach where he wasn't needed to be the BOSS of the team. So, as an assistant coach now, he might be just the right person due to less pressure put upon him.

The apparent related qualities that Carbonneau's looking for that, according to Houde, apply to Tremblay are:

- an assistant who's dynamic, motivational and 'breathes the joy of life'

- a man who has experience behind the bench

- a man who's able to use well his defensemen during a game

- a man who truly desires to live the city of Montreal and Montreal Canadiens experience

- a man who's already played hockey and understands players

- a man who's able to talk with and gather his players around him

- finally, a man with whom Carbonneau would get along with well

According to those criteria, Tremblay is a valid candidate.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/203846.html

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

Tremblay's been an assistant to Jacques Lemaire for a couple of years now, and Lemaire had nothing but good words for him. I'm sure he also picked up a couple of good tricks from the Mastermind himself.

I dont know where Houde got his criterias though. It could be applied to most assistant coaches in the league. An assistant-coach's job isnt that complicated: he has to mother the players and be on their side, so the coach can play the tough and hard ruler. Its like good cop-bad cop.

There's a big BIG obstacle for Tremblay to come back though. When he left, he really was bitter and took shots at a whole bunch of journalists during the press conference. I dont know if its all been worked out now.

Personnaly I would much prefer Robinson in that role. He's the perfect "good cop". He loves to teach players, he has a wealth of experience behind the bench, knows the city, etc. Also he needs to come back to the fold so the Habs can finally retire his jersey officialy soon! :D

I wouldn't take Pierre Houde's suggestion seriously,.....he is merely an employed RDS covering some sport events for that channel and according to many...... not doing a particulary good job at any of it.

RDS has a privileged contract with the CH and Houde got himself the big job of covering it.....but is there any

thing else to say about Sloppy and his Barking Dog covering the CH au Mechant Mardis de RDS ?

Anyway, based on the subjective qualitys as interpreted by Houde himself after he had listened to a Carbo's conversation on CKAC,....here is my own superficial suggestion.

Hall of Famer Mike Bossy.

This is a local guy which had the most prestigious career with multiple 50 goals+ years, multiple personal NHL's trophees and multiple Stanley Cup winning years also.........he has Jean Beliveau's class and he is even more approachable......a sweet man in all respect and obviously.....an Offensive Connoisseur....which it seems to me would balance well with the overly defensive connoisseurs already present within the organisation,....specially in the NewNHL.

All things considered I'd rather have Robinson. I think he's much more respected right now, although the nervous breakdowns are disconcerting.

Me too.

Robinson as an assitant coach with the guys would be fabulous. His work in New Jersey was excellent. Hall of famer, knows defence, won cups as a coach and might like a toned down role. I have the ultimate respect for Mr. Robinson and would love to see him back in the Habs family.

Tremblay, no thanks.

Credentials, prestige, affinities for the job,....Robinson got it all, no contest....but would he be interested ?

After all he did resigned from his head's coach position earlier this year du to some stress related illnesses.

I'd love to see Bossy working the offense and Robinson the defence..... sigh loudly!!!!!

And I'd keep Jarvis for teaching the defensive forwards. What a staff that would be?

Probably not going to happen though. But at least I can still dream..... B)

I would wonder if it would be difficult for Robinson to be an assistant to a less experienced head coach in Carbo...

Don't much care for Tremblay...never did...

I could see Jarvis being a good assistant coach. He knows the young players, has their respect and knows how to communicate with them well. With how many young players from our AHL team will be coming through(Higgins, Pleks, Kosty, Zhog, Locke, Danis, etc) it might be a good move for him and the team.

I would wonder if it would be difficult for Robinson to be an assistant to a less experienced head coach in Carbo...

Don't much care for Tremblay...never did...

I could see Jarvis being a good assistant coach . He knows the young players, has their respect and knows how to communicate with them well. With how many young players from our AHL team will be coming through(Higgins, Pleks, Kosty, Zhog, Locke, Danis, etc) it might be a good move for him and the team.

Maybe I misunderstand what you're writing or the intent of what you're writing.

It seems to me that you're saying that Jarvis isn't an assistant coach yet (see the bold letters). The thing is that Jarvis already IS an assistant coach. If you check this page:

http://www.canadiens.com/fre/team/redirect...habsCoaches.cfm

you'll see him just below Carbonneau. Yes, he's Gainey's assistant coach but I haven't heard of him being dismissed when Carbonneau took over.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

I'd love to see Bossy working the offense and Robinson the defence..... sigh loudly!!!!!

And I'd keep Jarvis for teaching the defensive forwards. What a staff that would be?

Probably not going to happen though. But at least I can still dream..... B)

For as great a goalscorer as Bossy was, he was a panzy and never went into a corner and couldn't throw a bodycheck to save his life. I don't want him teaching that to our youngsters. Clark Gilles and Bryan Trottier made him the player he is today

As much respect as I had for Bossy the player, no thank you as a coach. The guy was on 110% (Sports show here in Mtl) a few times in the past few years and he's a joke. As no clue what he's talking about. Doesn't follow hockey on a regular basis and it was obvious from his comments.

He even sounds silly when he talks. He certainly didn't get anybodys respect from his presence on the show.

If its a non defensive coach, I want Muller. If its a defensive coach, I have no clue who could be availble?

Personally, I hope not... but my vote doesn't count :P.

I would certainly hope your vote counts as your signature has:

"HWL's Tampa Bay Lightning & Most Entertaining GM"

And that aint all that bad for credentials. :)

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

For as great a goalscorer as Bossy was, he was a panzy and never went into a corner and couldn't throw a bodycheck to save his life. I don't want him teaching that to our youngsters. Clark Gilles and Bryan Trottier made him the player he is today

Do the present day Habs have anyone, pansy or not, capable of scoring goals like he did? So what if he didn't bother with the corners much. He was there for one thing and one thing alone - offense. Something the Habs currently don't have right now.

And why would he have to be there to teach guys how to cycle the puck. If you don't know how to handle yourself in the corner before you reach the NHL then your chances are pretty damn slim of making it.

He wouldn't be there to teach the players how to go into the corners as he'd be there to teach them how to put the puck in the net.....

He'd be a specialty coach and if anything he was a pure goal scorer!!!!! Are we expecting Jarvis and Carbonneau to teach this. How many times have people complained about them being too defensive minded on this board?

And I don't remember Gillies or Trottier scoring those goals that he was so well known for.....

As if Shutt and Lemaire didn't make Lafleur a better player?

Reality is that he probably won't end up coaching for the Habs though.......

Do the present day Habs have anyone, pansy or not, capable of scoring goals like he did? So what if he didn't bother with the corners much. He was there for one thing and one thing alone - offense. Something the Habs currently don't have right now.

And why would he have to be there to teach guys how to cycle the puck. If you don't know how to handle yourself in the corner before you reach the NHL then your chances are pretty damn slim of making it.

He wouldn't be there to teach the players how to go into the corners as he'd be there to teach them how to put the puck in the net.....

He'd be a specialty coach and if anything he was a pure goal scorer!!!!! Are we expecting Jarvis and Carbonneau to teach this. How many times have people complained about them being too defensive minded on this board?

And I don't remember Gillies or Trottier scoring those goals that he was so well known for.....

Problem with Bossy is that he's 50 years old and has been out of the hockey circles for a long time. He has another life and business here in Mtl and I give a 0% chance of him becoming a coach. He is definetly not the right guy for the job. Besides, Carbonneau said that he wanted someone energic and Bossy is not, at least not from watching him on TV in the past few years. Today's hockey is not like when he played and like I said, he has been out of the hockey circles for a long time.

Well I just found out that Mike Bossy's back problem that had him retired prematurally from the NHL has actually kepted him away from any ice surfaces ever since : canditate potential = zero.

Bossy was a special player long before reaching the NHL and his linemates Trottier-Gillies.......his many accomplishements before that point in time had been exceptionnal going all the way down to its earlier years has a pee-wee in which he had registered 170 GOALS in a single season.

The fact that he could keep being his effective self from the get go in the NHL,......in a division where the Broad Street Bullies where still running wild in a cross-checking lenient league.....seems to me a shure sign of composure, intelligence and nerves.

He went on giving his team nine consecutive 50 goals seasons,...6 of them where +60 goals a season.

His goal percentage per game in regular season is still the highest on record in the NHL while his goal percentage in play-off games are second only to the great Mario Lemieux.........more than skills, there

is a constant pursuit of excellence at work here,.....a commitment to deliver that had showned to be

unfazed by adversity.

ConnySmythe recipient,...he certainly was a huge factor behind the establishement of his team

as a Stanley Cup Champion Dynastie.....not only for his incredible goal scoring contribution

(17 goals per series 3 years in a row ) but for his penalties killing contribution as well.

I am pretty shure he would have been a good ingredient to add to the coaching staff formula.....well lets say,

I certainly wouldn't have feel in any way nervous upon hearing about his nomination....bien au contraire.

Edited by PB

Bossy isn't going to be able to teach guys how to score like he used to be able to. Its something that its natural in a player like him and cannot be explained.

And if it hadn't been for Gilles opening up the ice for him and Trottier diggin out the pucks in the corner, you wouldn't have seen Bossy score half his goals.

Bossy isn't going to be able to teach guys how to score like he used to be able to. Its something that its natural in a player like him and cannot be explained.

And if it hadn't been for Gilles opening up the ice for him and Trottier diggin out the pucks in the corner, you wouldn't have seen Bossy score half his goals.

I agree that he won't be able to teach what is a natural born skill, but we're not talking about teaching the art of scoring in offensive coaching. Instead it is fine tuning a players natural born offensive skills that can actually be taught. Better positioning, foot work, reading the play and a lot of other less obvious aspects of the game in the offensive zone. He will never be able to explain to a plug how he can put the puck into the net, but give him a natural born goal scorer and he'd make them just that much better.

As part of our rep coaching staff we always have someone who can teach these skills built into our group.

Anyways, this isn't very likely to happen so I guess it's probably somewhat irrelevant.......

And as far as his linemates go - well, that why you have linemates that compliment you. You don't put 3 puck carriers, or 3 setup guys, or 3 snipers on a line. You have a setup guy and a digger out there for the sniper to do his job. And Bossy did what they expected him to do with the help of the other two to get it done. That doesn't make him tablescraps because they did their job too.

Lafleur was complimented by Lemaire who had the defensive and setup skills, and Shutt was the consumate garbage goal guy.

Made for sweet chemistry out there, much like the Bossy combo did on Long Island!

Edited by beliveau1

Problem with Bossy is that he's 50 years old and has been out of the hockey circles for a long time. He has another life and business here in Mtl and I give a 0% chance of him becoming a coach. He is definetly not the right guy for the job. Besides, Carbonneau said that he wanted someone energic and Bossy is not, at least not from watching him on TV in the past few years. Today's hockey is not like when he played and like I said, he has been out of the hockey circles for a long time.

I think the chances of him coaching anywhere are absolutely zero, but his age is absolutely irrelevant.

50 years old is nothing for a coach or manager in the NHL. His age isn't a factor.......

I think that he's just interested in coaching? As for judging his energy level based on some TV appearances?

Watch Gainey on TV sometimes and you'd think he just came from a funeral based on the way he acts/talks.

He's not exactly Mr. High Energy......

Bossy's a lot smarter hockey man than anyone on this board - myself included first on that list!

Not going to be a concern though as it isn't very likely to happen......

Kirk frikkin Muller,

no one else should be considered or even looked at or thought about.

Kirk Muller for assistant coach

Kirk Muller for president!

anything for Kirk Muller

:bow: Kirk Muller

I think the chances of him coaching anywhere are absolutely zero, but his age is absolutely irrelevant.

50 years old is nothing for a coach or manager in the NHL. His age isn't a factor.......

I think that he's just interested in coaching? As for judging his energy level based on some TV appearances?

Watch Gainey on TV sometimes and you'd think he just came from a funeral based on the way he acts/talks.

He's not exactly Mr. High Energy......

Bossy's a lot smarter hockey man than anyone on this board - myself included first on that list!

Not going to be a concern though as it isn't very likely to happen......

1) Being 50 does matter because he hasn't been involved in hockey since he retired, which means a long long time. I retired player who is 40 and out of hockey means he hasn't been out for long. How can someone come in and coach after being out of hockey for so long. The game as changed completely. Yes being 50 is not old for a coach, it was meant in the sense that he has been out of hockey for too long to come in as a coach in the NHL just like that.

2) As for his energy, well guess what, BG is not energic, just like Bossy. He would not be what Carbonneau would be looking for, and this is quite obvious. A person his or not energic, it shows everytime, wheter you are on TV or not, why do I even have to explain this, its basic. Thanks for proving my point with your own counter argument.

3) As for Bossy being a smart hockey man, sorry, you obviously never watch him and his dum comments on 110%, because you would not be saying this. The guy is a joke. Good players are most of the time very good because its natural to them, not because they are smart hocker man. Most coaches were average players in their days (if they even played in the NHL), not super-stars. They are guys who studied the game, it was not natural to them like the super-stars. How many great players tried as coach and were horrible, the vast majority that tried.

4) Bossy would be a terrible addition to the coaching team.

1) Being 50 does matter because he hasn't been involved in hockey since he retired, which means a long long time. I retired player who is 40 and out of hockey means he hasn't been out for long. How can someone come in and coach after being out of hockey for so long. The game as changed completely. Yes being 50 is not old for a coach, it was meant in the sense that he has been out of hockey for too long to come in as a coach in the NHL just like that.

2) As for his energy, well guess what, BG is not energic, just like Bossy. He would not be what Carbonneau would be looking for, and this is quite obvious. A person his or not energic, it shows everytime, wheter you are on TV or not, why do I even have to explain this, its basic. Thanks for proving my point with your own counter argument.

3) As for Bossy being a smart hockey man, sorry, you obviously never watch him and his dum comments on 110%, because you would not be saying this. The guy is a joke. Good players are most of the time very good because its natural to them, not because they are smart hocker man. Most coaches were average players in their days (if they even played in the NHL), not super-stars. They are guys who studied the game, it was not natural to them like the super-stars. How many great players tried as coach and were horrible, the vast majority that tried.

4) Bossy would be a terrible addition to the coaching team.

1/ That fact he's been out of the NHL would probably actually work to his advantage in the new NHL if he were actually even being considered at all. There are a lot of present coaches who haven't fully adapted to the new NHL because they are stuck in their preconceived systems and strategies based on the old guard philosphies. New blood with new ideas for a new NHL. But it ain't going to happen so no use debating this any further.

2/ So I guess you are an expert on TV appearance psychology - he has no energy because he looks boring on tv. I didn't prove your point in any shape or form, except in your own mind because that it was you perceive him to be.

He always was a droll and meticulous interview, even in his playing days. He hasn't changed any.....

He never did appear to be excited by very much and still doesn't give that aura off on tv. I don't know him personally so I can't make a comment if he's the same in person. Maybe you have and can say that for sure, not just based on what you think he appears to be.....

3/ I've heard Bossy several time, so don't tell me what I think of his comments. I've listened to many of comments, and the fact he has been a spokesman for hockey programs across Canada at various times give him more credibility than you choose to give him. Many don't like his safety/fair play oriented leanings as he's been associated with programs like the current Chevrolet Safe & Fun campaign. Having withdrawn himself from the game and the alumni games he has been noted for being outspoken about problems with our game at times. Is he always right - no! Is he always wrong - no(but you seem to think he is!)

I never suggested he would be a good head coach - just some one who could teach the offensive oriented players how to be that much better at it.

By your argument then I guess Gretzky will never be a good coach as he was just loaded with natural born talent? Yes - most superstars are lousy coaches, but not all superstars are bad coaches. Most don't gravitate towards it because they haven't got what it takes to be a good coach, for a host of reasons that go far beyond the natural talent aspect.

4/ I don't think that I'm talking about him as an assistant coach - but more a roving offensive team consultant.

Point is though this isn't about to happen so it is moot to discuss a fantasy I happened to mention.....

He's not about to become part of their staff, so case closed!

1/ That fact he's been out of the NHL would probably actually work to his advantage in the new NHL if he were actually even being considered at all. There are a lot of present coaches who haven't fully adapted to the new NHL because they are stuck in their preconceived systems and strategies based on the old guard philosphies. New blood with new ideas for a new NHL. But it ain't going to happen so no use debating this any further.

2/ So I guess you are an expert on TV appearance psychology - he has no energy because he looks boring on tv. I didn't prove your point in any shape or form, except in your own mind because that it was you perceive him to be.

He always was a droll and meticulous interview, even in his playing days. He hasn't changed any.....

He never did appear to be excited by very much and still doesn't give that aura off on tv. I don't know him personally so I can't make a comment if he's the same in person. Maybe you have and can say that for sure, not just based on what you think he appears to be.....

3/ I've heard Bossy several time, so don't tell me what I think of his comments. I've listened to many of comments, and the fact he has been a spokesman for hockey programs across Canada at various times give him more credibility than you choose to give him. Many don't like his safety/fair play oriented leanings as he's been associated with programs like the current Chevrolet Safe & Fun campaign. Having withdrawn himself from the game and the alumni games he has been noted for being outspoken about problems with our game at times. Is he always right - no! Is he always wrong - no(but you seem to think he is!)

I never suggested he would be a good head coach - just some one who could teach the offensive oriented players how to be that much better at it.

By your argument then I guess Gretzky will never be a good coach as he was just loaded with natural born talent? Yes - most superstars are lousy coaches, but not all superstars are bad coaches. Most don't gravitate towards it because they haven't got what it takes to be a good coach, for a host of reasons that go far beyond the natural talent aspect.

4/ I don't think that I'm talking about him as an assistant coach - but more a roving offensive team consultant.

Point is though this isn't about to happen so it is moot to discuss a fantasy I happened to mention.....

He's not about to become part of their staff, so case closed!

1) We agree to disagree.

2) Being energic doesn't disapear on TV? You either are or not and he's not, case closed on that one. Don't need to know someone personally to know that. Its quite easy to say who's energic for anybody who appears on TV as often as he does. After seeing them a few times, you know if they're energic people or not, how complicated can that be to understand?

3) As for his comments, the guy would say things like "the Sharks of Anaheim" or the "the guy, what's his name, they have who's a good scorer" while talking about the best players of other teams, in fact top players in the league. He doesn't follow NHL anymore, he doesn't even no the teams and players properly. He may know the technical side of hockey, but his overall knowledge of today's hockey is very weak. That's what I meant and that would make him a lousy coach. How can you coach and not know the players in the league?

4) Could be usefull but won't happen.