Jamie Langenbrunner

habsrock_6

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Langenbrunner made $1,655,130.00 in 05-06

As for being a good fit, he's a right-handed shot, but not too big... and do we really need another winger?

he's also getting old. We've got a plethora of young talent looking to break into the team.

Unless it's for $1 (cos then it's a bargain), I'd pass. Latandresse, Kostitsyn, et al, deserve a shot

As stupid as this may sound... what does 'a top six winger' mean?

:king: :hlogo: :king:

THere will be alot of teams looking at Langenbrunner and Arnott. Langenbrunner probably isn't a good fit, since there is a plethora of good young wingers in Montreal right now. And considering the bidding war thats probably going to happen with Arnott, Montreal is probably better off passing him by as well.

there is plenty of room for both Arnott and Langenbrunner considering Bulis, Sundstrom and likely Ribeiro and Zednik on their way outs. I only see Kastitsyn making the team this season, not Chipchura or Latendresse just yet. The Habs broke in several young players last year...a little more veteran leadership is a great idea.

there is plenty of room for both Arnott and Langenbrunner considering Bulis, Sundstrom and likely Ribeiro and Zednik on their way outs. I only see Kastitsyn making the team this season, not Chipchura or Latendresse just yet. The Habs broke in several young players last year...a little more veteran leadership is a great idea.

I still tend to go with the 'grow your own talent' kind of perspective. Of course that depends on even having your own talent - which we do at the moment.

Again... what does 'a top six winger' mean? :?-

No there is not plenty of room. Either depth wise or salary cap wise. Montreal would have to trade Zednik, Bonk, Ribeiro. No easy feat. Zednik and Bonk are making too much for how they performed last year.

Edited by kaos

Again... what does 'a top six winger' mean? :?-

Hmm, maybe it means one of the top six wingers on the depth chart, so playing on the first, second or third lines? Or would it be a top six forward (so playing on the first two lines) who happens to be a winger, but then he would be a "top four winger" wouldn't he, ow my head hurts. :wacko:

Heard "top four defenceman" before but never "top six" winger.

Hmm, maybe it means one of the top six wingers on the depth chart, so playing on the first, second or third lines? Or would it be a top six forward (so playing on the first two lines) who happens to be a winger, but then he would be a "top four winger" wouldn't he, ow my head hurts. :wacko:

Heard "top four defenceman" before but never "top six" winger.

The term comes from the www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/ pages. The example here is the Langenbrunner description page where he's listed as a 'top six winger'... whatever that means (could be exactly as you said...)

Here's Langenbrunner's page: www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1598&hubname=nhl-devils

He's the perfect fit (as well as Arnott) he's a blend of Zednik's former hard skating (or how do you want me to say: Zednik used to be strong on his skates), of Bulis' speed and former good backchecking habits. To add to that, he has a better shot than both guys.

Signing Langen = getting a mix of what we loved in Bulis and Zed but that they somewhat forgot/lost along the road.

IMO just call this guy Higgins Sr. for the sake of simplicity, they are pretty much similar.

Hard forechecking, harder backchecking, physical enough, some scoring touch, speed, excellent work ethic, consistency (not on the score sheet, but with the effort)

The term comes from the www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/ pages. The example here is the Langenbrunner description page where he's listed as a 'top six winger'... whatever that means (could be exactly as you said...)

Here's Langenbrunner's page: www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1598&hubname=nhl-devils

or top six in the league? :unsure:

seriously, it means that he can play as well on any line, which is a compliment and not a "3rd line winger" label.

If you look at a guy like Ribeiro, even in his best days (I mean Pee-Wee there) he cannot play on the 1st line or the 3rd line.

-1st line he chokes.

-3rd line, he can't backcheck to save his life.

I'd rather we kept Zeddy, if we were to choose between him and Langenbrunner... I think Zednik was just starting to come around at the end of the year, and he was great in the playoffs... even though he rarely finished (but who did on the Habs?)

When I use the term "top six winger" I mean a winger on the top 2 lines. Meaning a top 6 forward who happens to be a winger - top six winger. It sounds better than a top six forward winger.

When I use the term "top six winger" I mean a winger on the top 2 lines. Meaning a top 6 forward who happens to be a winger - top six winger. It sounds better than a top six forward winger.

I figured that this would be the case too but you never know... it could mean a third line winger too .

I'll be shocked if even one of Latendresse or Chipchura crack the Habs's lineup this fall. Truly shocked.......

It's not the way they do business in Montreal. Neither one of these guys is going to be a franchise player, so they will do their time in Hamilton just like the rest of them have. So there's no use even suggesting they will play major minutes in Montreal just yet!

Look at the way Gainey currently operates and you have all the evidence in the world as to how players will be developed. It's the way he learned the NHL ropes as he broke in and it isn't about to change, no matter what the us so called armchair experts here may think, or want.

Edited by beliveau1

No there is not plenty of room. Either depth wise or salary cap wise. Montreal would have to trade Zednik, Bonk, Ribeiro. No easy feat. Zednik and Bonk are making too much for how they performed last year.

What math did you take in school? :?-

Bulis and Sundstrom have already left, Arnott and Langenbrunner are superb replacements. If only one of Ribeiro, Zednik or Bonk...not all 3 get moved (and it will most likely be Ribs) then there is room for Kastitsyn. Nobody else on the farm can play better than Arnott or Langenbrunner IMO. What about an injry? If you already got the prospects filling these spots then who replaces them on the depth chart?

Edited by Mr. Nasty

Actually it makes sense that Gainey would like to have Langenbrunner on board. He fits more into the Gainey/Carbonneau shared philosphy of hard working two way players who block shots, can hit and can score, and are clutch players. I'd view Fernando Pisani as similar to Langenbrunner. A centre would be more ideal, but these kinds of guys are great to have no matter what.

No offense guys, but I wouldn't automatically assume Gainey's going to gun for a relative big name such as Arnott just because he created the cap space with the Theo trade. Arnott has been fairly inconsistent in his career, obviously he would still be a big asset to the team, but considering he's coming off the best season of his entire career statistics-wise, the asking price will be very high..Gainey may decide that he's not worth the big bucks. It'll be interesting, that's for sure..

I think by the very fact the Hotstove mentioned Langenbrunner, Gainey won't go for him... Our Bob likes to surprise everyone... I personally think he'll hit up the other Conference for a forward...

What math did you take in school? :?-

IMO. What about an injry? If you already got the prospects filling these spots then who replaces them on the depth chart?

Glad its only your opinion. You have no idea what your talking about.

If you've spent your entire budget on Langenbrunner and Arnott how the hell are you suppose to replace them?

Glad its only your opinion. You have no idea what your talking about.

If you've spent your entire budget on Langenbrunner and Arnott how the hell are you suppose to replace them?

wow, someone can't take any criticism. So I take it you now agree that there is roster room...but you seem to think signing 2 free agents is not in the Habs budget?

Well let's look at the numbers...cause they paint a fairly accurate picture.

Habs current payroll:

Saku Koivu $4.75 million

Alexei Kovalev $4.5 million

Craig Rivet $2.565 million

Radek Bonk $2.394 million

Sheldon Souray $2.242 million

Richard Zednik $1.9 million

Andrei Markov $1.75 million

Mathieu Dandenault $1.725 million

Steve Begin $1 million

Tomas Plekanec $450,000

Andrei Kastitsyn $700, 000

Garth Murray Undisclosed (let be generous and say 700k)

Aaron Downey Undisclosed (let's be generous and say 600k)

Mark Streit Undisclosed (let's be generous and say 700k)

Current total: $25, 976 for 14 players

Unsigned players:

Huet ~ 2.5 million

Aebischer ~ 2.5 million

Bouillion ~ 1 million

Ryder ~ 1.5 million

Ribeiro ~ 1.3 million

Perezhogin ~ 800k

Komisarek ~ 800k

Total of 9.6 million for a payroll of $35, 576 for 21 players

Now assuming Aebischer is traded and Danis is his replacement at 800k then that frees up 1.7 million.

Ribs is traded freeing up ~1.3 million

This give the team $32, 576, 000 of player salaries without Arnott or Langenbrunner. Gillete said that 2 years ago that he was comfortable with a player budget of around 38-39 million before the cap era. Now the big difference between 2006 and 2004 if the value of the Canadian dollar which is saving Gillette a few more million dollars annually.

Assuming Arnott signs for 5.3 million and Langenbrunner for 3.5 million then the Habs payroll comes in at 41 million dollars. 2-3 million below the cap. In most of my estimates I was giving the players a little extra money than they will probably sign for less, but the odd one (Huet) may get paid more so it evens out.

40 million dollars is not unrealistic for a Habs payroll under the current economic situation of the league and the canadian dollar.

I think you can safely remove Aebi, Ribiero and probably Zednick off you list of salaries, i'd be shocked if they were on the team by the time pre season started.

I don't they'll go after Langenbrunner either, the right wing is the habs strong set of forwards.

I think by the very fact the Hotstove mentioned Langenbrunner, Gainey won't go for him... Our Bob likes to surprise everyone... I personally think he'll hit up the other Conference for a forward...

haha. well with the amount of rumours we've had this offseason... Bob CANNOT surprise us. I think we're competing with the Leafs for biggest load of unrealistic rumours.