Flyers @ Habs - Garon Starts - Dec. 8/03

jl.roberts

Read the full Pregame Report at the HW Homepage.

---------------------------

<B>Time :</B> 7:30 EST, 4:30 PST

<B>Location :</B> Centre Bell - Montreal, Quebec

<B>TV :</B> RDS

<B>Radio :</B> CJAD, CKAC, Team 990 (postgame)

<B>RDS Line-Up News</B>

<B>Stat Comparison</B>

<B>NHL.com Score Sheets</B>

<B>Between the Pipes:</B>

Mathieu Garon

versus

Jeff Hackett

<B>Projected CH Line-Up </B>

<I>20 Zednik – 11 Koivu – 73 Ryder

38 Bulis – 71 Ribeiro – 26 Dagenais

37 Sundstrom Bulis – 22 Begin – 24 Dackell

25 Kilger - 94 Perreault - 15 Langdon

79 Markov - 43 Brisebois

44 Souray - 05 Quintal

51 Bouillon - 52 Rivet

</I>

<B>Probable CH Scratches</B>

<I> 17 Ward (ankle –damn Malakhov), 82 Audette (separated shoulder), Juneau (back - day-to-day)</I>

<B>Key Match-Ups</B>

1058.gif <b>vs.</b> 0160.gif

<b>Mike Ryder and Mark Recchi, can one become the other?</b>

<B>Who to Watch For</B>

29609_2.jpg

28725_2.jpg

28764_2.jpg]http://www.canadiens.com/_static/webUpload...764_2.jpg[/img][/url]

This is gonna be a tough game...to be completely honest I think we sould be very happy if we can get away with at least a tie.

The Flyers are just so good for us...I predict 4-1 Flyers...

Let's just hope our guys can prove me wrong...

:ghg:

0-0 After 1.

Good work in the last 1:30 - 0:00 especially from the Bulis - Koivu - Ryder line. I'm not really sure why Bouillon was out on the ice with them, but the forwards were working great for that shift. Nice work by Julien to throw out Begin's line after that, as the Tazmanian Devil went right, deep into the Flyers' zone with....Sundstrom!?!...they threw a hit or two, got dirty, and cycled the puck for a little while. Good way to close out the period. Hackett's going to be tough to beat tonight!

Komisarek and Markov also gave the puck away a behind our net, we were fortunate to clear it out. It was good to see Komi try and track down his man after he lost the puck to him, though. Nice playing by Kilger, too. He let off a good shot from just over the Philly blueline, and was willing to skate and work a little in that offensive zone. I was surprised to see Langer almost squeak one by Hackett. He often gets labelled as a guy who can only drop 'em, but he's an underrated stick handler.

Habs played a really good game.. I'm really sad how it ended. Canadiens have a low level of confidence and that hurting lost might throw them on the ground. I hope the leaders won't let the team get discouraged and that they will come out as strong next wednesday.

Hard luck for the Habs who deserved to pull one out tonight. They played with intensity, heart, and intelligence, but when you're playing against a team like Philly, you have to understand that, as with all good teams, they somehow seem to find ways to win. Despite the loss, you can call this a really positive game in almost all respects except one: losing at the end like that can be a real momentum killer, and if the Habs take it to heart, it could be a serious problem for the next game or two.

And really, if you look at it closely, the only reason we lost is because we made a few errors, and not because we didn't play well or with intensity. Early in the season, or indeed in most of the last six or seven, you couldn't have said that about the Canadiens. If they lost, it was because they stunk. It's hard to look at any player tonight and say they were a real problem. Sure, some had shifts where they had trouble, but I think, all in all, as fans we have to come away satisfied that we're really playing as a *team*.

~~

Notes: (performance)

Garon: He made some stunning stops, most notably on the breakaway, and showed why Hackett says he has the best legs in hockey. He also really whiffed the second goal on a weak shot from beyond the circles. I think he was upset at the third goal, but he had no need to be, since it was a deflection from barely ten feet in front of him. I feel, after watching him tonight, that his game has improved even from the last time we saw him. He was well-positioned and moved much better than he used to. Kudos for working hard in the interim. B+

Bouillon: A good game where, against a much bigger Philly team, he wasn't out-muscled more than a couple of times. His size may only be listed at about 5'8, but he plays more like 6'2, and if everyone played a half foot bigger than they were, we'd be a dominant club size-wise. B

Rivet: He was doing so well for the larger part of the game, and anyone who really paid attention would have noted that his improvement over earlier this season is astronomical. It's such a shame that on that third goal he let his man meander in front of the net for an easy tip. I feel bad for him in one respect, and that's that fans will really get on his back for any little mistake he makes. B

Brisebois: He only made one really bonehead play from his own zone, but it didn't cost us and he played his mistake well. Other than that, he was solid in both ends and is really gaining confidence in playing that simple game. He's added in a few other improvements, and is starting to look not just like a good reliable defender (worth $1.5), but a reliable defender who can also move the puck effectively, and can even defend proactively - he's chosing his spots much better now (worth $2.5). With any luck, he might end up being worth close to $3 by the end of the year, and we won't feel so bad. B+

Markov: A couple of stumbles, but it still amazes me how proactive he is in defending. And while he may not play the body like bigger guys, when a Roenick-type comes to the crease, Markov ties up that stick far better than anyone in Montreal. B+

Komisarek: I remember Markov's first season, his first few games, and you could just see the little things he did, even though it was rough back then, that would put him above most other defenders. I see the same things in Komi. It's still raw, but it's there. The proactive defending, the brilliant whip passes that create chances immediately. The tough defending and smart positioning. It's not consistent yet, but sooner rather than later he's going to be pushing up the ladder. B

Souray: Finally he doesn't have to do all the dirty work. Great pairing with Komi - I certainly wouldn't want to be a forward against them! Souray played another strong game, physically dominating and very good positionally. I see him in a transition period, actually. I'm noticing how he seems to see the game at a slower speed now, he reacts faster than others, he moves more efficiently and with a good patience instead of rushing things... He's making a few mistakes as he transitions, but I think that, sometime after the holiday season, or maybe even as late as the beginning of next year, he's going to surprise some people by being a real leader on defense - for any team, and not just the Habs. A-

Kilger: One shift on, one shift off. If there's anyone I really want to see traded, it's him, and that bothers me, since those on shifts are something to behold. C

Langdon: If he didn't take those absolutely stupid penalties, he'd be brilliant. Tonight he was rock solid all over the ice, but managed to take a kneeing penalty, or some such nonsense. B

Perreault: Tough for a player like him to take fourth line time, however I think he did admirably well with it. I'm really impressed at how hard he's worked over the last few games. Despite those who say he doesn't have NHL-calibre skills, he does - and in spades - his only two real problems have been work ethic and softness. B+

Dackell: To all those of you who think he needs to go, phtphtpht. He's a wonderful guy that I love to see on the ice. Sure, every now and then he makes a mistake, and sure he's not the toughest guy on the planet, but really, are there many in *hockey* that can hold on to the puck by themselves in the offensive zone for as long as he can? Against a much bigger Flyer squad, he was still able to make a dozen great plays - all on his own. A-

Sundstrom: Fill in the blanks: Begin is to Sundstrom as oxygen is to _____. If you said life, you're correct. Since being put with Begin on that third line, Sunny's confidence has soared. He's even starting to make those second efforts that weren't in his game as recently as three or four games ago. B+

Begin: Okay, defensively he's not quite as good as Juneau, but man does he make up for that with sheer exuberance and hitting power. Honestly, I wouldn't break this threesome up right now. Begin has given something to that third line that's great to see. In fact, they even have scoring chances every game, and I think you can put that down to Begin's feistyness causing turnovers constantly. A-

Dagenais: First, brilliant goal, no doubt about it. Second, he knows how to play with Ribby for absolute sure. Third, with Zed on his other wing, his skating weakness is significantly diminished. Fourth, he'll never be a legitimate 2nd liner, and the jury is still out on whether or not he can keep it up this year, but until one of our youth matures into the spot, I'm happy to see him there for now - *IF* he continues working hard. B+

Zednik: I honestly would have though he'd have been PO'd to be on that line with a couple of players way below his talent level, but he met the challenge and adapted quickly to Ribby's game. He added more physicality as well and that really *really* helped out the Ribs line. A-

Ribeiro: The first half of the game was so bad for Ribs I just wanted to see him benched. Then suddenly he made a heads-up play to retrieve a puck and throw it to Z and we score. All of a sudden, Ribs is all there and in the game - the Ribby we need to see out there if he's going to take that second line. If he can continue to play like that, and not a shade less intense, then I'll be happy to have him there until such time as a real second line centre comes along, but the minute he coasts and stops moving... Oh, and is he really a centre? I mean come on! He doesn't even take his own draws anymore! B

Bulis: After all the good things I said about him playing defence recently, he goes and blows that first Philly goal by leaving his man alone. *sigh* On the other hand, does he ever play well with Sax and Ryder. There are times when I think he's a better offensive player than Z...right up until you compare shots. Then again, with Bulis on that line, the puck stays in the opposition end far longer than it did with Z. B+

Ryder: Love this kid. Lemme say that again, *love* this kid. Not only is he working hard, but I think he's working *harder* than he was at the beginning of the year. He's constantly creating in the offensive zone, constantly making things happen, and constantly improving. What more can you ask of a rookie? He shoots like someone we haven't seen since (and I hesitate to say this) John LeClair. If he keeps this improvement up... A-

Koivu: Remember that year where Sax led the league in scoring before his injury? Yeah, that's him again on the ice. He answered Gainey's call for more from his best players. He looks completely dominant at times, and most of the rest he still looks like a top player on the ice. A

~~

I think it's becoming more and more evident that Gainey's evaluation period is over and Julien is starting to make consistent line combos that play together for more than a period or two. The team is starting to gel in terms of units, but also in terms of complete team play. Once again we saw strong team spirit in defending fellow players, and it's this, more than anything else, which tells me Gainey has had more than just a word or two in the dressing room.

In retrospect, I now have to tip my hat to Julien for all those moves that I didn't understand before. It seems they were all done with a strong purpose in mind and has benefitted the team in the long run - that which is most necessary. I'll be the first to admit I was unnerved and annoyed at some of the moves, but I'm pleased I was wrong with those ideas. I guess I still have a lot to learn, particularly when it comes to coaching.

Down to Manhatten to play the Rag$, a team that suddenly looks like they want to play hockey rather than shinny on a pond. This is going to be a tough game, make no mistake, so we'll have to play a smart road game - stick to the system, capitalize on mistakes, yadda yadda. It'll be interesting to see if Komi gets to stay in, or if Quintal retakes his place.

A concerned fan.

Just to acknowledge that Yahoo doesn't hate us (anymore).

"... And yet they [the Flyers] prevailed despite playing their fifth game in eight days against a tough Eastern Conference opponent. "

Emphasis on the tough.

Emphasis on the TOUGH.

Emphasis on the Eastern Conference Opponent.

But yeah, looking forward to the Rags game. I hope we play this well against them. I hope that Juneau doesn't play. I hope that, if Quintal plays, he does an adequate job, and that Komisarek can still play too. He's developing well.

Oh yeah, and I hope that BG makes a trade