Zednik Traded

simonus

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gainey didn't like Zednik because he was horrible in his defensive zone coverage. Johnson, from what I've heard, is a two-way player and he still had good stats last year. I'm really starting to like these trades.

Alot of the scouting reports on Johnson say he's a very good defensive player also. Which is an upgrade over Zednik. The more I think about it, the more I start to like these moves.

I think Gainey didn't like Zednik because he was horrible in his defensive zone coverage. Johnson, from what I've heard, is a two-way player and he still had good stats last year. I'm really starting to like these trades.

Alot of the scouting reports on Johnson say he's a very good defensive player also. Which is an upgrade over Zednik. The more I think about it, the more I start to like these moves.

loll.. we think alike my friend :king:

Anyway... Now I have to change my user name. :(

Same here. :( But I'm not so sure I will.

So its Zed+4th for Johnson+3rd. And its the Caps' 3rd; which should be good.

Not anymore, now that they got Zednik! :P

Goodbye Richard Zednik. Unlike some of the fans here, I'm not thrilled to lose him. A good player who contributed a lot to Montreal, and I really hoped he would return to form for us this year. I remember the good ol' days of the Koivu, Kovalev and Zednik line tearing it up! :hockey:

I guess he'll play with Ovechkin now. Heh. Two ex-Habs in Zubrus and Zednik on a line with Ovechkin! Lol! Will it soon be Bulis the Cappie as well? :lol:

In comes Mike Johnson. Never really put up big numbers but has the capacity for 20 goals. I don't know if he's a good centre though, I've only heard of him as a winger and I suspect that he will play that role for Montreal.

It's like I was saying in terms of wanting Montreal to get Sanderson...Johnson can play a second or third line duty and not complain about his role. Unfortunately Zed wasn't too happy about that kind of a role here.

Oh, and about this being a sideways move. Johnson is solid defensively and can play #2 center if needed. He also has a much needed right shot and size (even if he doesn't really use it all that much). I consider him an upgrade over Zednik, especially if Zednik is whining for more icetime. Johnson should be able to get us 60 points. A good playmaker. I like how he gets decent +/- ratings on weaker teams. And to top it all off, he certainly is NOT Euro trash! ;)

I've read about 300k less elsewhere, but I trust your source better.

How long is he under contract for?

I think he has 1 year left on the contract he signed in 04

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1861259

Sorry forgot about the lockout so that would make it 2 years right?

hopefully it wasnt a back-end loaded contract

Edited by brboo

Oh, and about this being a sideways move. Johnson is solid defensively and can play #2 center if needed. He also has a much needed right shot and size (even if he doesn't really use it all that much). I consider him an upgrade over Zednik, especially if Zednik is whining for more icetime. Johnson should be able to get us 60 points. A good playmaker. I like how he gets decent +/- ratings on weaker teams. And to top it all off, he certainly is NOT Euro trash! ;)

Sssh...Euro Trash he may not be, but an ex-Leaf he certainly is. :hlogo:

Oh and as for salary...it saved the Habs something like 76,000 dollars. :P

Zednik - 1.976M

Johnson - 1.9M

I was fed up with Zednik.. after da McLaren hit, he didnt have dat drive in him anymore, rather, he used to wiggle into da corner with one hand on his stick and da other hand taking a stupid penalty when he finally lost da puck in da corner/behind da net.

Good riddance Zed, i hope Johnson is still a decent player to what i can remember and hasnt taken any crazy hits to make him damaged goods as well.

Spector reports on the trade, and suggests Gainey may make more trades:

Gainey may not be finished making trades. It's believed he'll eventually trade goaltender David Aebischer and there's rumors that defenseman Sheldon Souray might seek a trade to a California-based team in order to live closer to his young daughter, who resides with his ex-wife in Los Angeles.

I hope Souray sticks with the Habs. He's better than a lot of people give him credit for.

Spector reports on the trade, and suggests Gainey may make more trades:

I hope Souray sticks with the Habs. He's better than a lot of people give him credit for.

Yeah I think Souray played really well during the second half after he cleared his head from the divorce

Johnson will stabilize the 3rd line and will bring more defense savy to the RW. Might also give Carbo more options since Johnson can take some faceoffs.

Zed had more offensive than Johnson, but he had plenty of chances to become a 1st-line go-to guy and that never really materialized. He was becoming more and more predictable and easier to defend against.

All in all both players seems to even up but Johnson might fit in better with the current Habs roster than Zed used to.

Plus the picks swap is really neat. early 3rd for mid-4th. About a 45 ranks jump. That's sweet.

Hm...Don't know much about Mike Johnson...but sounds like he's okay..

Tonight is a sad night for me, I am going to miss Zednik alot. I always found myself sticking up for him lol

Good luck Zeddy!!

I know how this move is gonna turn out. Zednik will be placed on a line with Ovechkin and he will put up like 85 points. Then everyone will get on Gaineys case sayin what a bad trade it was. But of course his numbers are going to go up if he's playing with Ovechkin. Just like LeClair, playing on a line with an at the time Dominant Eric Lindros didn't hurt his numbers

Edited by brboo

Sorry to hear about Zednik, I've always liked him and I am certain he'll rebound this year, but picking up a two-way vet to play on our third line AND moving up about 50 spots in the draft is excellent. And don't even get me started about Samsonov, I've had a hard-on for him for about four years now.