Nhl Considering European Officials

MCeh

Published at HockeyRefs.com.

The NHL already boasts a plenitude of European players, so why not officials?

How officiating in bigger rinks and in foreign cultural spheres would translate into NHL work should be interesting. If implemented, the proposed conversion wouldn't be without "controversial calls" and the ensuing rants -- especially on CBC's Coaches Corner.

- - - - -

<<Futbol>> culture appears engrained across the planet outside our North American bubble. It's safe to assume "outsider" referees could better spot infraction baiting.

Published at HockeyRefs.com.

The NHL already boasts a plenitude of European players, so why not officials?

How officiating in bigger rinks and in foreign cultural spheres would translate into NHL work should be interesting. If implemented, the proposed conversion wouldn't be without "controversial calls" and the ensuing rants -- especially on CBC's Coaches Corner.

yeah . cherry's a moron and he wouldn't be too happy about that. nor would our french cherry( read bergeron)

I think if we could get the best officials, it would help

yeah . cherry's a moron and he wouldn't be too happy about that. nor would our french cherry( read bergeron)

I think if we could get the best officials, it would help

LoL Bergeron!

I always thought Alain Chantelois to be Québec's Cherry, at least in demeanor. But just more sarcastically insinuating than direct. Cultural differences I guess...

chanteloisalainwh4.jpg <-- bah.

LoL Bergeron!

I always thought Alain Chantelois to be Québec's Cherry, at least in demeanor. But just more sarcastically insinuating than direct. Cultural differences I guess...

chanteloisalainwh4.jpg <-- bah.

his hair look like the new sabres' logo :lol:

chantelois sucks...I don't know how he got there

NO PLEASE! No european refs in the NHL until they start showing higher class. I think the swedish refs sucks and the international games with russian, czech and other refs also show to low class in my opinion.

Ok, I guess its only fair that we have international refs; especially since we have had the advantage of international players and their talent pool.

But I will strongly protest if these refs are not the best and well trained for the North american game. IF they start calling crap like i've seen in international games, there will be hell to pay!

Now, mind you even some of our north american refs aren't the best and could certainly use help/training.

This is 20 years away if you ask me.

This season will be the first in Sweden with profesional referees! Hockey players has just been profesionals for about 15 years. Europe is a less economic market and in many countries sports and athletism is still unexploited by economic interests.

So before the NHL even thinks about it they should start a programe where knowledge from the major leauges in Europe, the AHL and NHL trade.

The best referees are in the NHL. The NHL has 82 round games with 30 teams. Sweden has 12 teams with 50 rounds. There's a lot more games played in the NHL and the referees are pros, just like the players.

That's why this won't be a good idea until the standard is higher in Europe.