#7 Defenseman Battle

FuRy

Carbonneau claimed today that these remaining defensemen are fighting for the #7 defenseman spot. Here are the candidates:

-Dan Jancevski

-André Benoît

-Ryan O'Byrne

-Danny Groulx

What did you guys think?

source (french): http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/213446.html

They'll probably let O'Byrne continue his development progress. He is keeping improving and will earn a top 6 position when he is ready. He only played 3 years of hockey at university. No professional experience. That would be surprising to see him already with the big club.

Jancevski looks fit for the 7th dman spot. He is 25, has ton of experience, can play offensively and he is physical.

Benoit and Groulx are long-shot.

Jancevski,....was drafted by Dallas on the second round in 99 ( most likely by Bob himself ),

5 years AHL experience, 6'3'' , 215, can drop the gloves too.

Signed as UFA this summer,.......hummm,..this could be the guy.

On reflection,.....differences on the type of contracts or the wayving factors pertaining to

those players might make some of them more suitable to the situation than the others.

I agree, it'll be Jancevski...former star pick, and more experience than the others. No way will there be a trade, as Bouliion won't be out more than a month or so, and Strait can be the sixth till then.

No way will there be a trade, as Bouliion won't be out more than a month or so, and Strait can be the sixth till then.

I dunno.... Ive heard an awful lot of talk about BG still trying to trade for a #1 Center and a Top 4 Defenceman.

:hlogo:

I dunno.... Ive heard an awful lot of talk about BG still trying to trade for a #1 Center and a Top 4 Defenceman.

Well, I certainly hope you're right, and I'm wrong, on this one. I have little confidence in Ribero being productive this year. Bring on that number one centre!

I say that it won't be any of the above.

right now, they're all AHL D men at best.

one thin g to keep in perspective here: jancevski played only 2 games in the nhl and he's 25. he's not NHL stuff.

I'm sure bob will do something à la hossa for murray thing

We only need either of the guys for say, what? A month?

I doubt Bob will trade for anyone (though he's surprised me before.)

I see Jancevski getting the spot because both O'Byrne and Benoit would be better off in the AHL getting more minutes to develop their game. Carbo would like rotate Streit and Jancevski on the roster depending on the opponent until Boullion returns.

I guess I'll be the only one to go with Groulx. He small for the NHL but mobile and great vision. What killed the Habs last season was the lack of offense from the blueline after Markov.

But then again, Streit is the one who is benefiting the most from Bouillon's injury. He'll get a real chance to prove he can be a regular and contribute offensively. I doubt the 7th D will see much action so Jancevski will probably be it since the other 3 could use the ice-time in the AHL.

I guess I'll be the only one to go with Groulx. He small for the NHL but mobile and great vision. What killed the Habs last season was the lack of offense from the blueline after Markov.

Hey, I don't know much about Groulx. Maybe you can say a bit more about him? :D. Where'd he come from and such?

i'm sure it will be Jancevski.

Bob likes these tough guys as 7th defencemen, it's like when he went and pick up Todd Simpson. Besides, he probally won't be playing at all. Streit will replace Bouillon untill he comes back.

Hey, I don't know much about Groulx. Maybe you can say a bit more about him? :D . Where'd he come from and such?

Groulx was an offensive d-man in junior. He was part of the Victoriaville Tigres machine that had Carl Mallette, Antoine Vermette, M-A Thinel, Matt Lombardi and such and went to the Memorial Cup Finals in 2002. Groulx had 112 pts in his last junior season, I'm not but I think it was a record for a d-man in the Q back then.

I think he was never drafted but played some time in the AHL in Grand Rapids and played in DEL last season. He's not that big for a d-man at 6-0 and barely 200 lbs but he's obviously got good offensive flair. He's 25 already so I wouldnt expect much more development from him in the future but its not uncommon for those types of prospects who went overseas and came back to have a different step in their game. An extreme case: Rafalski, for example, was 27 when he broke in the NHL with NJ, after a long stint in Finland.

I say that it won't be any of the above.

right now, they're all AHL D men at best.

one thin g to keep in perspective here: jancevski played only 2 games in the nhl and he's 25. he's not NHL stuff.

I'm sure bob will do something à la hossa for murray thing

....'' he's played only 2 games in the NHL and he's 25....he is not NHL stuff ''.

Well, that's twice the amount of games that Francois Beauchemin had played upon entering the league at 25

least season.

Could Jancevski be an obtention by Bob that would erase cleanly our unfortunate lost of Beauchemin ? ha ha ha.....that would be priceless.

They'll probably let O'Byrne continue his development progress. He is keeping improving and will earn a top 6 position when he is ready. He only played 3 years of hockey at university. No professional experience. That would be surprising to see him already with the big club.

Jancevski looks fit for the 7th dman spot. He is 25, has ton of experience, can play offensively and he is physical.

Benoit and Groulx are long-shot.

agreed. O'Byrne needs more time for development. The other two are possibilities also but, considering their history, it's unlikely - more of the same for them as for O'Byrne.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Of course,....innevitably happens when you spend time on trade rumors sites where fitting trades scenario

matching NHL's specific circumstances are being produced......fiction on the cheap,...it seems to me.

Well, I certainly hope you're right, and I'm wrong, on this one. I have little confidence in Ribero being productive this year. Bring on that number one centre!

I, for one,...wouldn't touch a thing.

I feel, a must confess,...very excited about the Ribeiro's line prospect.

The reason being of my excitement is that I dont remember seing a line where each of it's members

are personnely endowed with the level of creativity as those three players are.

As different as they ultimately are,.....each of them are great passers and are exceptionally good at creating

something out of nothing.

Boston reporters and players had only good things to say about Samsonov lately and about the likelyhood of Samsonov becoming a Habs' fans favorites (am one of them for shure) but more important, according to one B reporter......is the likelyhood that Samso will mesh well with his new linemates....which according to him,

is something that as never quite happened, neither in BOS or EDM, to the extend he thought it could.

Untapped potentiel still to be released by Samsonov ?,....... I salivate at this thought.....and think that Ribeiro

could be an important factor between our Russian wingers.

Edited by PB