Who Is Janne Niiminaa?

habs_in_the_blood

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gainey got the best possible deal for Ribeiro, who is NOT well-regarded around the league. No team would have parted with an unambiguously top-4, experienced defenceman for him. Instead Gainey got a guy who underperformed last season but has a reasonable CHANCE of regaining his form and being a really good top-4 defenceman for us. Shrewd.

Still, the Habs still take most of the risk in this deal, given that Dallas wasn't using Niinimaa anyway. The risk is that we dealt a 70-point centreman for Radek Bonk 2. But Niinimaa's profile makes it a well-calculated risk.

I think Gainey got the best possible deal for Ribeiro, who is NOT well-regarded around the league. No team would have parted with an unambiguously top-4, experienced defenceman for him. Instead Gainey got a guy who underperformed last season but has a reasonable CHANCE of regaining his form and being a really good top-4 defenceman for us. Shrewd.

Still, the Habs still take most of the risk in this deal, given that Dallas wasn't using Niinimaa anyway. The risk is that we dealt a 70-point centreman for Radek Bonk 2. But Niinimaa's profile makes it a well-calculated risk.

you said exactly what i think of the deal... but i couldn't have put it any better than you already did !!

:D

Janne wore #4 in Dallas and #44 for the Finns. What do you think he goes for here?

He will don #6 as a Canadien.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20061002...5128/CPSPORTS01

«I'm good with #6 [...] It's the number I wore as I entered the ranks of Finnish pro hockey.»

Trent McCleary was the last Canadien to wear #6, from 1998 to 2000. Previous #6 Habs were Oleg Petrov, Russ Courtnall, Pierre Mondou, Jim Roberts, Dale Hoganson, Chuck Lefley, Fran Huck, Ralph Backstrom and Floyd Curry, among others.

«I'm good with #6 [...] It's the number I wore as I entered the ranks of Finnish pro hockey.»

Trent McCleary was the last Canadien to wear #6, from 1998 to 2000. Previous #6 Habs were Oleg Petrov, Russ Courtnall, Pierre Mondou, Jim Roberts, Dale Hoganson, Chuck Lefley, Fran Huck, Ralph Backstrom and Floyd Curry, among others.

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Number SIX is back!

I guess Niinimaa will have to change his number when they retire Petrov's.... :P