Balej called up...

puck7x

Our present lines:

Bulis-Koivu-Ryder

Zednik-Ribeiro-Dagenais

Sundstrom-Juneau-Ward

Langdon-Kilger-Dackell

Is Balej just insurance, are some players still suffering from the flu, are there any new injuries we haven't heard of, does CJ want a fresh player for tomorrow's game, or is there a trade on the horizon?

So often I've thought, hoped, that a callup meant a trade was coming and it wasn't the case... I don't think it's the case here either.

I think Gainey might be doing two things. First off, showing Balej that hard work will get you up to the top. Secondly, I think Bob is trying to push our players to be their best. If you're a fourth liner or a player who's not producing and this young kid who's got a great arsenal of talents and is on a massive confidence boost, you're gonna play that much harder.

If I had to make a choice, I'd think Dackell will be the first to go. He's not a great 4th liner, and Ward has made him expendable for now. I like Dackell, and I think he works hard, but he's really the odd man out right now. Balej would probably get 2nd line PP time as well.

Just my thoughts.

:ghg:

Agree.

I think we should trade Dackell and Kilger.

Sundström is a UFA next season. I think he will return to Sweden if he doesn't get a decent offer.

Juneau will probably calls it a career.

Quintal? I don't know about it, but I guess this will be his last season.

Perreault. Well you know what I think. Keep him! Give him time on the power play and let him play like a offensive threat on a third line with Bulis and a big defensive center.

So... If I had the chance to decide, this is what the roster would look like heading into the playoffs:

Zednik - Koivu - Ryder

Dagenais - Ribeiro - (What Kilger and Dackell could land)

Bulis - Perreault - Sundström

Juneau - Begin - Ward

Komisarek - Souray

Brisebois - Markov

Rivet - Quintal

Originally posted by ch_nl

Agree.

I think we should trade Dackell and Kilger.

Sundström is a UFA next season. I think he will return to Sweden if he doesn't get a decent offer.

Juneau will probably calls it a career.

Quintal? I don't know about it, but I guess this will be his last season.  

Perreault. Well you know what I think. Keep him! Give him time on the power play and let him play like a offensive threat on a third line with Bulis and a big defensive center.  

Kilger's been through the waiver (twice) with no takers, right? Not too many takers. Not the greatest trade bait.

Perreault is a UFA in July, right? If so I think he'll be gone by then.

As Balej's proving that he can play with success in the AHL, I would speculate that Gainey wants to ascertain if Balej can translate that success to the NHL.

[Edited on 2004/1/22 by habitual_hab]

Thursday, January 22, 2004

Montreal Canadiens’ General Manager, Bob Gainey, today announced that forward Jozef Balej has been recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League.

The 21 year-old forward has scored 23 goals and added 23 assists for 46 points (23-23-46) in 44 games for the Hamilton Bulldogs and is leading the team in scoring, 3rd overall in the AHL. He also has the AHL’s top plus/minus rating of +19. Balej, a native of Myjava, Slovakia, has been voted to the PlanetUSA All-Star Team starting lineup for the 2004 Pepsi AHL All-Star Classic.

Balej, a Canadiens’ 3rd round draft pick in 2000 (78th overall), plays in his second professional season. In 56 games with Hamilton last year, he collected 20 points (5-15-20). He will join the team in New Jersey where the Canadiens visit the Devils tomorrow night.

Hamilton Bulldogs on Slam!