Bob Gainey Has Brought Stability And Strength

REV-G

I think the reason for the Habs turnaround in the past few years can be attributed to two keys moves. First when they brought in Pierre Boivin as President, and then his decision, along with Andre Savard unselfishly agreeing, to bring in Bob Gainey. These two moves were two of the absolute best moves the Habs could have made. No longer do we have to put up with bad decisions, losing good, or great, players because someone mishandled a situation [Patrick Roy, Donald Brashear, Mike Keane to name a few]. We now have a strong, stable organization from the top down and I think we are in great shape for many years to come. I wonder what would have happened if Ken Dryden had been allowed to bring in Bob Gainey to run the Leafs a year or two before the Habs signed Gainey? The Leafs could be a very different team today and who knows who might be running the Habs. To see many of our former players, who were successful, being welcomed back and used to pass on that tradition of winning is a great sign for any organization and the Habs have done that very well. I'm sure other teams are noticing what they've done and how successful they have become. Great leadership and vision will usually bring solid results and we're seeing that today with the Habs.

I think the reason for the Habs turnaround in the past few years can be attributed to two keys moves. First when they brought in Pierre Boivin as President, and then his decision, along with Andre Savard unselfishly agreeing, to bring in Bob Gainey. These two moves were two of the absolute best moves the Habs could have made. No longer do we have to put up with bad decisions, losing good, or great, players because someone mishandled a situation [Patrick Roy, Donald Brashear, Mike Keane to name a few]. We now have a strong, stable organization from the top down and I think we are in great shape for many years to come. I wonder what would have happened if Ken Dryden had been allowed to bring in Bob Gainey to run the Leafs a year or two before the Habs signed Gainey? The Leafs could be a very different team today and who knows who might be running the Habs. To see many of our former players, who were successful, being welcomed back and used to pass on that tradition of winning is a great sign for any organization and the Habs have done that very well. I'm sure other teams are noticing what they've done and how successful they have become. Great leadership and vision will usually bring solid results and we're seeing that today with the Habs.

are you bob gaineys p r manager? only jokin your exactly right.

That was well said REV-G. It seems like Gainey knows exactly how to handle problem players [ie. publicly supporting them while planning a way to move them out/let them leave], while knowing what parts are needed to fit into the team's makeup. His hiring of Carbo may end up being his best move yet.

That was well said REV-G. It seems like Gainey knows exactly how to handle problem players [ie. publicly supporting them while planning a way to move them out/let them leave], while knowing what parts are needed to fit into the team's makeup. His hiring of Carbo may end up being his best move yet.

maybe were being premature here- but for some reason i get an air off excitement when talking to you guys- i live in england so i dunno what its like over their but i imagine the whole city is buzzing about the habs chances this season?

The fact that Souray was quoted as saying 'In Bob we trust' AFTER playing for a half season under him as coach, and 3-4 season with him as GM, suggests that Gainey commands just as much respect from the players as from the fans. This guy brought a steady, calm hand to the wheel of a ship that had been sailing erratically and incompetently for a decade. A lot of what he brings are things we don't see - quiet confidence at every level of the organization, competence and professionalism everywhere, etc..

What we need, though, is a systematic review of Gainey's hockey decisions so far. Let's see...

Garon for Bonk and Huet. GOOD MOVE

Balej for Kovalev. BRILLIANT MOVE

Hossa for Murray. GOOD MOVE

Zednik/pick for Johnson/pick: GOOD MOVE

Niniimaa for Ribs: ---

Theodore for Aebischer: LATERAL MOVE - BUT NECESSARY

Dandenault signing (replacing Brisebois): LATERAL MOVE

Samsonov signing (replacing Bulis): GOOD MOVE

Losing Beauchemin: TERRIBLE MOVE

Losing Hainsey: POOR MOVE

Firing Julien: GOOD MOVE (not that he's a bad coach - but Gainey was a better one)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. But this is a start - and it's a damned good balance sheet if you ask me.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The fact that Souray was quoted as saying 'In Bob we trust' AFTER playing for a half season under him as coach, and 3-4 season with him as GM, suggests that Gainey commands just as much respect from the players as from the fans. This guy brought a steady, calm hand to the wheel of a ship that had been sailing erratically and incompetently for a decade. A lot of what he brings are things we don't see - quiet confidence at every level of the organization, competence and professionalism everywhere, etc..

What we need, though, is a systematic review of Gainey's hockey decisions so far. Let's see...

Firing Julien: GOOD MOVE (not that he's a bad coach - but Gainey was a better one)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. But this is a start - and it's a damned good balance sheet if you ask me.

why no comment on ribeiro?

Too soon to say. I think it was a cagey move, but that the Habs bear most of the risk in the deal. Ribs will rack up at least 60 points, so if Niinimaa DOESN'T recover his game, and/or Pleks struggles, Bob will have egg on his face.

Too soon to say. I think it was a cagey move, but that the Habs bear most of the risk in the deal. Ribs will rack up at least 60 points, so if Niinimaa DOESN'T recover his game, and/or Pleks struggles, Bob will have egg on his face.

ninimaa is quality their will be no worries their.

maybe were being premature here- but for some reason i get an air off excitement when talking to you guys- i live in england so i dunno what its like over their but i imagine the whole city is buzzing about the habs chances this season?

The Bell Centre has been filled to the rim since the playoffs series 2 season ago but the QUALITY hockey brought about as a consequence of the revanped rules within the NewNHL of last season was a key factor in re-kindling the population's anthousiasme for their beloved Canadiens.

Now once again the team is front page material from Quebec to Matane to Val-d'Or to Nunavik and Montreal

is buzzing with an irristible anticipation of seing their team performing at a higher level than the previous season.

The effervescense is there but it is not brought about by the expectation of watching a dynasty dominating the league like some decades ago or by the distinct feeling that this year could be the year........I think the effervescence is there because people here love hockey and because they believe that the CH is clearly on the right path again.

Edited by PB

For me the best part of his work was all acheived within weeks when he first gained full control and could then operate on the immediate destiny of the 03-04 roster which was about to get ready for the new season. The roster didn't look good at all and had missed the playoffs the previous year.

First he tested CH's owner Gillet confidence in him and ask him to shead the bacon in order to buy-out the

very expensive multiyear contract of Audette and Scerkawski,..done............no dead stars in Gainey's plan.

Then he got an agitator type player named Steve Begin off-waiver from BUFF,....

Then got a pugilist from free agency in the name of Darren Langdon

And added an un-wanted snypper from free agency in the name of Yves Dagenais.

Those where essentiel elements that against all odds had the CH poised to claim a playoffs berth,......things where looking so good that Gainey did the most unexpected thing a CH GM has ever done prior to the trade deadline.......he got his bound for the playoff team....a star...in the name of Alexei Kovalev.

As a result the CH managed in upsetting the Bruins and created a new page in the Canadien history by rallying from a 3-1 deficit to win that serie...............it's been full house at the Bell Center ever since.

why no comment on ribeiro?

Yeah its way too early to make an accurate call on that trade. Now, it probably favours Montreal. But if, and thats a big IF, Ribeiro finally puts it all together, Dallas wins the trade down the road.

Yeah its way too early to make an accurate call on that trade. Now, it probably favours Montreal. But if, and thats a big IF, Ribeiro finally puts it all together, Dallas wins the trade down the road.

Ribiero is on the fourth line now in dallas....unless he plays the way he should...i dont see a big future for the fella

Good points Rev-G. Although losing Donald Brashear really didn't make much of a difference in the long haul.

Losing Brashear perhaps doesn't make a big difference today, but it did back then when a top enforcer who could score a few goals and skate made a pretty big difference in your team. It's why they had to go out and pick up a few different guys for that role in the following years. My problem with it all was that we lost Brashear and other players back then due mainly to the poor handling of players and different situations that arose. The bottom line, in my opinion? Poor leadership and management back then.

I think what's missing from this page are all the moves Gainey has made that no one really notices. The off-ice moves. He's surrounded himself with trustworthy and intelligent hockey people. No more clowns here.

I consider the full appropriation of our farm team in Hamilton to be a great investment,...we

no longer share it with with EDM or DALLAS,.....it should give the organisation better results

with the prospects and their developpement.

More investments where attribute for the scouting aspects as well,....wherea the Quebec Junior league had one scout working full time....now they have two.

I consider the full appropriation of our farm team in Hamilton to be a great investment,...we

no longer share it with with EDM or DALLAS,.....it should give the organisation better results

with the prospects and their developpement.

More investments where attribute for the scouting aspects as well,....wherea the Quebec Junior league had one scout working full time....now they have two.

I don't necessarily agree. While I think its good for some of the Montreal prospects who might not have gotten a look with other teams players playing in Hamilton, I think it also hinders the higher end prospects.

When you have top flight talent coming in from Hamilton or Edmonton to play with your own its helps your players develop. I think Chris Higgins and Tomas Plekanec learned alot from playing with guys like Steve Ott and Anti Miettinen.

As well with better talent you should be able to win more. And learning how to win is very important and builds confidence.

I don't necessarily agree. While I think its good for some of the Montreal prospects who might not have gotten a look with other teams players playing in Hamilton, I think it also hinders the higher end prospects.

When you have top flight talent coming in from Hamilton or Edmonton to play with your own its helps your players develop. I think Chris Higgins and Tomas Plekanec learned alot from playing with guys like Steve Ott and Anti Miettinen.

As well with better talent you should be able to win more. And learning how to win is very important and builds confidence.

The price tag associated with running the Buldog independantly has to be higher for Montreal now that it has shedded it's partnership with EDM,......but regadless of the higher cost it entails....the net gains in term of control and independance resulting from doing it alone must have additionnal potential benefits in term of players developpement.......what else could have motivated them ?

Garanteed quality ice time for our prospects is one aspect that comes to mind.....specially for goaltenting.

Investing in scouting and players developpement is logical to get ahead in a league where a limitated spending cap is imposed on your starting roster......I would think that the CH's recent move with their farm team in Hamilton is consistant with that logic....even thought some of the old positive advantages of the previous arrangement (like the points you brought up) would be lost in the process.

Edited by PB

The price tag associated with running the Buldog independantly has to be higher for Montreal now that it has shedded it's partnership with EDM,......but regadless of the higher cost it entails....the net gains in term of control and independance resulting from doing it alone must have additionnal potential benefits in term of players developpement.......what else could have motivated them ?

Garanteed quality ice time for our prospects is one aspect that comes to mind.....specially for goaltenting.

Investing in scouting and players developpement is logical to get ahead in a league where a limitated spending cap is imposed on your starting roster......I would think that the CH's recent move with their farm team in Hamilton is consistant with that logic....even thought some of the old positive advantages of the previous arrangement (like the points you brought up) would be lost in the process.

The Montreal Canadiens do not own the Hamilton Bulldogs. It is owned by Burlington native Michael Andlauer, who purchased it from Edmonton. He is responsible for filling the stands and paying the bills and well as signing and paying (SOME) players. Montreal simply pays the salaries of the players who's rights it owns. There may be some other perks that Montreal sends, but because Edmonton or Dallas pulled out, does not mean the Montreal Canadiens pay a higher cost per player.