HABS vs DEVILS (Jan 23rd)

puck7x

Game preview : http://www.habsworld.net/index.php

Latest roster news for habs (CKAC) ...

- Dackell out (injury) , Balej in

- Juneau questionable

Huge statement game for the habs , just like the Flyers game was and the leafs game will be. Devils are not as tough an opponent without Stevens in the lineup , but its still going to be a hard fought battle tonight... Habs need to find a way to score first , or just score period on Brodeur...

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

:hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo:

[Edited on 2004-1-23 by puck7x]

1-0 Devils after 1...

Arghh.... Its so frustrating to watch this game , so freaking boring.... so few chances.

Devils scored a SHG goal , mistake was made by Koivu at the blueline , he went for a puck he had no chance of getting , and got blown by from Elias... Elias scored on breakaway... Was especially heartbreaking because the habs were doing well on that PP ... A real momentum killer.

Okay , if that was a statement game then I retract our statement :)

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZ

Habs could not get anything going offensively tonight. Devils trapped the shit out of us , it looked like we werent even trying out there , but the fact is that the devils were just one step ahead of us , CJ needs to design a better gameplan to face NJ.

The sad part about the game is that both Jersey goals did not have to happen. Koivu messed up on the first , and it shouldnt of been an Elias breakaway ... And if Bouillon hadnt of gotten his stick in the way , the devils wouldnt of scored their 2nd (Carbon copy of Bouillon's ######up versus the leafs) ...

oh and more bad news , Ward seriously (from the looks of it) injured his left shoulder... Great on the day Dackell and Juneau are out because of injuries we now lose Ward , and thats on top of Begin already...

AT LEAST its just the lower-line guys , though they are still important to the team , especially defensively.

BTW : Souray had a horrible game today . His last 4 games have been average or below average... Whats up?

Devils defense is awesome. They don't let the other go to attack.

But their weakness is at the same time their strenght.

They have one of the most solid goaltenders. A set of blueliners that doesn't give the other team any ice to play their game on while their forwards uses the few chances they get.

And who would have tought that this streek would go on?

12-6 in the last period shows that the Habs didn't gave up. Good morale!

BTW : Souray had a horrible game today . His last 4 games have been average or below average... Whats up?

I've noticed the same thing, but I'm not surprised. My guess for his "sub-par" play lately, one word, fatigue. Keep in mind that Souray hasn't played a close-to-full season in the last 3, some some fatigue around the halfway point is to be expected IMO. He needs some reduced icetime for a few games (19:59 tonight), which should help.

My game thoughts:

From what I'm hearing, I think I'm happy that I didn't get to see the game, it seemed aside from Theodore, pretty much no one showed up. Dagenais played 17:30, 3rd amongst Habs forwards, behind Zednik and Koivu, despite losing shifts to Balej in the 3rd, interesting. Julien's juggled line comobs didn't seem to generate any offence, I wonder if he'll try them again tomorrow. If Ward's out for tomorrow (seems probable), will Juneau/Dackell return, or will another player be re-called? Or, do we dress a 7th d-man, and move 1 to a RW position (Rivet perhaps, he's done it before...), which would add a little more toughness, and given our opponent, we'll need it.

I'm not too surprised by the end result, New Jersey is a better team than some people give them credit for. I'm also not that worried, sure I'm disappointed, but every team has an off game now and then. I am interested in seeing how we rebound from this game, will we wake up, or put in another lousy effort? Tomorrow will tell the tale...

Good point blrblrblbrlrdlbl. He is tired :zzz: and needs some rest. However, with the return of Markov, his minutes will (hopefully) get reduced to 15 or so.

However, as we have seen before, any Norris dreams or hopes will be quenched if he can only play 15 minutes a night from here on in.

I actually predicted the Habs getting shut out, but still, it is depressing to see this happen. However, 2 losses in 16 games isn't too shabby. Hopefully we bounce back against the Maple Fudges tomorrow night.

:ghg:

NJ did have the better of the play, but they did NOT dominate us... we basically gave them the two goals they scored.

They produced ZERO goals themselves.

And Ryder missed FOUR point blank chances... wiffed on 2 great Ribeiro feeds, failed to beat Brodeur from the slot on another Ribeiro feed, then came in alome on Brodeur later in the game and again failed to beat him.

If he scores on just one of those chances, it's whole different game.

The whole game it seemed like the Habs needed that first goal to get going, but it just never came.

It was partly the Habs not being oppotunistic, a big part NJ's defense... Niedermayer is just so smart out there.

We also saw NJ put Madden on Ribeiro, not Koivu... in such instances you want Koivu to be motivated by this and make them pay.

Sadly he was sub-par to put it lightly, Ribeiro was the one setting up just about all the offensive chances.

That play behind the net was just a thing of beauty, if Thornton can't go to the All-Star game we could see Ribs there yet. Although the chances are very slim obviously.

And Brodeur did not outplay Theo, Theo had to play better just to keep the Habs in striking distance.

And the penalty shot was a joke, but actually with 8 minutes left and us losing by two I PREFFERED the penalty shot.

Trust Theo to make the save and you get a little spark and 8 minutes to come back.

I prefer that than to let NJ kill another 2 minutes on the PP... then you've got no spark and only 6 minutes left.

Balej made once nice move on an NJ D man at one point, anyone else catch it?... Just went by him with ease.

If given some time, Balej will be a good one. He might steal Dagenais' job yet. With Ward potentially out a while, Balej might get to stick around a while.