Avs Inflated Sell Out Streak Ends

huzer

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4503924

The longest NHL sell out streak in history. Every single game I went too was littered with empty seats, especially midweek games. Finally, corporations (or the Avs themselves) didn't bail them out to keep the streak intact.

"In recent seasons, numerous empty seats - which in theory could have been purchased by no-shows - and tickets often still being available on game days caused some to doubt whether the streak still was legitimate. "

Yeah, no kidding.

They don't want to watch Theo blow leads.

Yeah, that was rough yesterday against the Hawks. Avs were down 3-0, worked hard to tie it up, and then Theo let in a ridiculous goal - I think Lapointe was just trying to get it on net or something and it went through the pads. 4-3 Hawks.

To speak to the idea that the sellout streak was in any way fictionalized or inflated, it's sort of a ridiculous notion. Empty seats are to be expected on week nights when you sell season tickets and have mid-week games. (Things come up, people have kids and families and have reasons to miss games.) If the organization was going to spend the money and time trying to doctor a sellout streak, why would they stop this close to 500 sellouts? If they did doctor them, (And I believe that they did ticket promotions and things of that nature, but nothing that would equate "cooking the books" or falsifying ticket sales) then they did an awful job strategically. A 500th sellout would make a decent amount of money for the organization. (I have a puck from the 300th sellout.) I doubt they were doctoring sales numbers.

Well, then you're defining "inflated" differently than I am. If it was that easy to get tickets out the door, the Avalanche wouldn't have the longest streak in hockey. I don't doubt for a minute that corporate sponsors are buying up the tickets, but that's a ticket sold. When people say "inflated" I see the team undertaking some sort of dishonesty or trickery, sponsors buying the tickets isn't trickery.

It's only a sellout streak, why does it matter so much?

Less difficulty getting tickets at the door if I go to Denver for my birthday.

Let me know when you're in Denver. I'm there (because it's home) several times over the winter and am always up for a trip to Choppper Pl.

Let me know when you're in Denver. I'm there (because it's home) several times over the winter and am always up for a trip to Choppper Pl.

Well if I do go then it'll be the weekend of March 16-18th since my birthday is on the 18th, same day we play the Sharks. I also plan on dressing like one of those maniacs. Get one of my Avs SC banners and tie it around my neck like a cape, wear the Avs goalie helmet I painted myself with my Roy jersey. And a bunch of other Avs stuff I own. :D

Trying to recruit friends so I won't have to go alone but I've only had two people show interest so far.

It's only a sellout streak, why does it matter so much?

Less difficulty getting tickets at the door if I go to Denver for my birthday.

The only reason it matters to me is that the press here always brought it up. (And of course the stupid PA guy at the Pepsi Center with "Another sell-out crowd here tonight..." schtick. I know it goes on paid attendance, and not people passing through the gate, but when you hear that announced, and you look around at a maybe 2/3rds full arena, you can only go..."huh?") Me, I've never had a problem getting a ticket to any games I wanted to go to. So yes, I do think sponsors bailed the team out, snatched up unsold tickets to keep it going. That just seems goofy to me, but it is what it is.

Mils, where in Denver are you? I'm over in the Wash Park area. EDIT: Just saw you're in Louisville. I've got a friend that lives over in Superior.

Edited by huzer

Well if I do go then it'll be the weekend of March 16-18th since my birthday is on the 18th, same day we play the Sharks. I also plan on dressing like one of those maniacs. Get one of my Avs SC banners and tie it around my neck like a cape, wear the Avs goalie helmet I painted myself with my Roy jersey. And a bunch of other Avs stuff I own. :D

Trying to recruit friends so I won't have to go alone but I've only had two people show interest so far.

:blink:

And you wonder why no one wants to go with you... :P

:blink:

And you wonder why no one wants to go with you... :P

What? You've never seen people like that at hockey games? Flames get them all the time.

And I haven't mentioned that, that would be a last second getting dressed for the game thing. :lol: