(Rumour) Gauthier & Habs

puck7x

Figure that some of you will find this interesting...

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=48321

By : poster from Hfboards

According to G.Pollock from Flames post game show there is a buzz around the Saddledome that Gauthier got traded to Habs tonight .  

In addition A.Savard was in the buiding tonight

No work who we would get back.

[Edited on 2004-1-31 by puck7x]

I would love to have Denis Gauthier.

But I don't really see him fit in. He's shooting left. And so is both Souray and Markov.

Would that mean that Gauthier would be on the third pair?

And he is a stay-at-home blueliner. And I have always said that we need a puck-carryer to beat teams that still uses "the trap".

He'd fit in perfectly here. He becomes our instant number four, and all of a sudden our defence becomes much tougher.

The only problem is that as ch_nl said he's be our third natural left defenceman, fourth if you include Hainsey. Interestingly though Hainsey was playing right d last night in the Bulldogs game, so I guess they wouldn't mind shoring up the left side if they have both Hainsey and Komisarek to play right d sometime down the road.

I wonder what he would cost?

Gauthier is a 5-6th d-man, WHEN WILL EVERYONE REALISE THIS????

Go and look how many minutes he plays in Calgary. CALGARY. They don't exactly have a stellar D...if he's on the last pairing in Calgary then he certainly will not be ahead of Souray, Markov, Brisebois and Rivet here.

He is also a left side D-man which means he'll be on our final pairing. Acquiring Gauthier IMO means Hainsey is as good as gone...

For the guy who said we need a puck moving d-man...we have Breezy, Souray, Markov as our prime puck movers. Komi also has a lot of potential in this area. A stay at home, physical guy is exactly what this team needs. I'm just not sure a left side d-man is the right fit for the future...at least any future that has Hainsey in it.

Originally posted by Zowpeb

Gauthier is a 5-6th d-man, WHEN WILL EVERYONE REALISE THIS????

Go and look how many minutes he plays in Calgary.  CALGARY.  They don't exactly have a stellar D...if he's on the last pairing in Calgary then he certainly will not be ahead of Souray, Markov, Brisebois and Rivet here.

Thats where I disagree , Calgary has one of the most under-rated defenses in the NHL in my opinion (even though Montreal's is pretty under-rated itself by non-habs fans). Toni Lyndman was playing like an All-Star a couple of years ago , and while his offense has dryed up , he's still a rock defensively , Robyn Regehr is tough as nails and also steady , plus the guy is only 23. Add Rhett Warrener into it , who after being acquired has been playing like a #1 on the Flames ... then add in Denis Gauthier , and a rising star in Jordan Leopold , and its pretty solid. Then again , I'd say Montreal's is at about the same level , but the Flames have a better team-gaa because of a stingier system.

When I say that we need a defenceman that can move the puck I suggest that Andrei Markov is the only one that's really good at doing this.

Brisebois knows the theory but simply can't.

Souray? From what I've seen this season he's a threath every time he comes in the offensive zone, but is it really Sheldon that transports the puck?

I'm talking Brian Leetch type of player. A players that makes the time in the offensive zone more common than the the time in the defensive... (Could anybody read that?)

And if that trade was done, I think it would have been for Andrei Markov.

Salary match.

Even trade I say.

Originally posted by ch_nl

And if that trade was done, I think it would have been for Andrei Markov.

Salary match.

Even trade I say.

Salary match ? Yes

Talent Match? No!!

Habs get burned on that trade , the Flames would be all over it. I would never trade Markov for Gauthier.

Originally posted by ch_nl

Maybe. But Markov hasn't been the same since Petrov left.

And we need another physical blueliner.

That's why I would call it an even trade.

Markov has the potential (And showed it to everyone last year) to be a #1 D. He's got a great set of skills , he's capable of alot.

Gauthier on the other hand isnt getting any better , he's just a #4-6 D in this league who plays with a physical edge.

Habs get ripped.

Markov could get us a few decent players in this league, and perhaps (with a pick) a prospect and a solid defenseman.

However, I agree, we do need another Russian on the team. Hopefully it's only a minor player-for-player deal with Perreault or Sundstrom being traded.

Only problem - which Russians are available? I'd point out that Morozov is probably available (due to his salary), but oft-injured soft forwards wouldn't help this team out as much as a grinder.

Go BG go!

Markov for Gauthier? Thats ridiculous.

Markov was almost a 40 point guy last year. He hasnt been as good this year, but he is sill on pace for 30 points if figured through a whole season. He's also had a tough time with family issues and injuries. No way would i trade Markov for Gauthier, who is a physical force but not much else.

Markov is great offensively, i think he showed that today with that beautiful pass that Perreault couldn't finish. And Markov is still fairly young, lots of room for improvement.

Fresh news on this from this morning's Calgary herald , courtesy of "Bartle" from habfans.com ....

According to Bruce Dowbiggin in today's Calgary Herald the pieces are in place for a Gauthier & draft choices for Perrault and Sundstrom. The only thing holding it up is contracts...Calgary has been told to shed payroll and Sundstrom makes more than Gauthier, Perreult is not a worry as he is UFA at the end of this year.....we'll see what happens

This isnt available online btw. It only appears in the actual paper. (I wouldnt post it if the poster wasnt reliable , but he is)

I'm getting really sick of the stupid ass people who drone on about how good Gauthier is...

He's a solid player but WAKE THE HELL UP...

Seriously, I'd trade a 3rd line vet and a low round pick for him...nothing more.

If this is true and the financial kinks can be worked out, and the deal goes through, there are some pretty obvious consequences.

Gauthier plays left... so we have Souray, Markov, Gauthier on the left side.

Bouillon becomes the 7th D... or is traded if Calgary wants a cheap, tough, mobile D man.

No room for Hainsey, or some of you may prefer to trade Markov.... either way one of these two becomes trade bait because Souray isn't going anywhere and neither the newly arriving Gauthier.

So we'd be left with an asset on defense to trade.

We'd also have two less forwards... if you add Audette's recent buyout that's 3 forwards gone with nobody coming in.

That gives Gainey some roster room to bring in a forward or two from teams looking to dump salary.

Then again this trade has been rumored for quite some time... so I'll wait to see the official announcement of a trade on RDS before getting excited.

And no, Gauthier is not Norris material... but he does add a 2nd big body on the left side, which seems to be what the Habs want.

So, bring in Gauthier as our 3rd pairing (and most punishing) defender, then flip Hainsey for either that right handed centre Ganiey wants, or a bigger winger?

I have no problem with that. You get rid of Perreault and Hainsey. The former has been talked about so much I don't think I need to get into it, and the latter, while talented, has been rumoured to have seious attitude problems and might be a headache that Gainey doesn't want.

I'm all for it. I don't want anymore headaches here. Enough with players who are 'me' first. Let's bring in team guys, even if they are slightly less talented. The whole will be much better than the parts as a result.

ACF

Why are there talks of getting a d-man when what the team really needs is more offense and size, all in the one player if possible!..

A big top line left winger is whats needed, then we can move Bulis back to the second line and have two real good scoring lines.

Is there any possibilities of the habs getting a guy to fill that role by the trade deaddline?

Too bad Hossa couldn't smarten up and all of a sudden start playing like his bro!

:ghg:

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11

Why are there talks of getting a d-man when what the team really needs is more offense and size, all in the one player if possible!..

A big top line left winger is whats needed, then we can move Bulis back to the second line and have two real good scoring lines.  

Is there any possibilities of the habs getting a guy to fill that role by the trade deadline?

Too bad Hossa couldn't smarten up and all of a sudden start playing like his bro!

Well we do need more size on left D... especially come playoff time.

And as I said... but trading for Gauthier, we then have Markov or Hainsey to trade for some help up front.

But frankly this trade rumor has dwindled on for so long, I'm not sure it'll happen.

The one good point about waiting, is that with every day that passes there is less salary left to pay for Perreault & Sunny, so that's makes the trade more & more likely.

But hell why wait?.. Just pick up that salary now and make the trade happen already.

Gauthier has said the rumors are starting to affect him, that he's happy in Calgary and wants to stay.

What do you expect, is he gonna say he can't wait to be traded??

If it going to happen, the sooner the better... if not let's move on.

But with the All-Star break in a couple of days, they might wait until then to finalize things.