Lafleur Criticizes Samsonov & Kovalev

smon

Legendsofhockey:

Retiring as a player at age 33, Lafleur went into a front-office position with the Canadiens. But his time with the Canadiens front office was short. Lafleur called the $75,000 they were offering him "clerk's pay."

In 1988 he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, but he believed he could still play and his love for the game hadn't diminished. He signed with the New York Rangers and played one year there, scoring 18 goals and getting 27 assists in 67 games. Then in 1989 Lafleur followed his good friend and coach Michel Bergeron from the Rangers to the Quebec Nordiques, reportedly turning down a $1 million offer from the L.A. Kings.

So I presume you're referring to him spurning an office role to unretire and join NYR

So I presume you're referring to him spurning an office role to unretire and join NYR

I don't think so. I too have read about Lafleur's threat to not play just prior to a game vs. Toronto (if memory serves), because he wanted his contract renegotiated. One could see this as either selfishness or a successful bargaining ploy, depending on your perspective.

That aside, on a game in and game out basis, Lafleur came to compete, and I don't recall any significant incidents where he questioned his coach to the media. These stand in contrast to Kovalev and Samsonov respectively, so I can understand where he's coming from with his comments.

Having said that, this is coming from a guy who has seen Lafleur play, and understands his contribution to the Habs. Whether I agree or disagree, IMO he's earned a lifetime pass to say whatever the hell he wants*!

(*excluding bigotry, of course)

I can't believe I'm reading people on a Habs forum dissing Lafleur. He's right and that's it. If you are playing below your ability, you move down to make room for the guys who are trying. If you whine to the media, you get benched. THE END.

A lot of you guys are young, but when Lafleur talks about the Habs, I respect it as much as when Bossy speaks of the Islanders and when Gretzky speaks of the Oilers. Guy Lafleur was my hero when I was a kid. He is one of the last greats on the Canadiens legacy.

That said, I have to give Carbo credit for his coaching. He's got 4 solid lines. He has Bonk moving, and the Russian line looks good. There seems to be some good chemistry on all 4 lines.

Whether I agree or disagree, IMO he's earned a lifetime pass to say whatever the hell he wants*!

YAH, WHAT HE SAID :clap::clap:

I wonder what the reaction would have been if it had been 'the Rocket' and not 'the Flower' who made that comment?

Sometimes it takes a senior, respected superstar from the organization's past to step up and address a team situation - kinda ironic isn't it that both have played much better since Lafleur did? Like it or not he did something he needed to, and it was in the best interest of 'team' not 'me' as is so prevelant today!!!!!

Edited by beliveau1

Sorry I dont have a freakin quote its not lke I'm in love with Lafleurs racist remarks. I rememeber him saying it like it was yesterday. 100% sure.

You didn't accuse him of not playing defense, you said he 'hates Euros' and made racist remarks. That's a pretty serious accusation against someone many of us think highly of. If it's not backed with some form of real evidence (beyond '100% sure'), you shouldn't be surprised if its credibility is questioned.

What matters is exactly what he said, not your interpretation. Something tells me he didn't say "I hate Euros"...

I personally don’t wish to prolong this matter (for some of us Lafleur is almost God-like wrong perhaps… but that’s another topic)….... But for the benefit of this matter and other discussions on other topics we should remember to add sources and references so as to give credibility to statements (this holds true for anything) so we don’t risk getting into misinterpreting or exaggerating things that don’t need to be. I’m sure Guy had said somethings before and perhaps he does have Anti-Euro feelings I’m not denying it but I won’t accept it unless I see it for myself in a secondary publication.

You didn't accuse him of not playing defense, you said he 'hates Euros' and made racist remarks. That's a pretty serious accusation against someone many of us think highly of. If it's not backed with some form of real evidence (beyond '100% sure'), you shouldn't be surprised if its credibility is questioned.

What matters is exactly what he said, not your interpretation. Something tells me he didn't say "I hate Euros"...

You think he would dare say that?

He said you dont win the stanley cup with soft euros on your team.

Look...I was Lafleur's biggest fan too back in the day. He was an awesome player, top 5 in my books. I still admire his talent and his honesty, but I do not agree with some of his opinions at all.

If Guy said it...It is so...and so it shall be

All hail the one they call Guy

Everyone can have opinions, and state them. Just because it's Guy Lafleur doesn't mean it's right and I have to take as gospel. Regardless, other outlets pick up on his statements when it's something critical about the Habs. He's entitled to his opinion, but to be honest, I don't care what it is. And if Habs players need some former Habs trophy to spout off in a newspaper to get them motivated, well I'm just going to have to pick a new team to follow. I highly doubt Samsonov and Kovalev sat back and thought, boy, Mr. Lafleur is right. I need to change my ways. Bah.

Everyone can have opinions, and state them. Just because it's Guy Lafleur doesn't mean it's right and I have to take as gospel. Regardless, other outlets pick up on his statements when it's something critical about the Habs. He's entitled to his opinion, but to be honest, I don't care what it is. And if Habs players need some former Habs trophy to spout off in a newspaper to get them motivated, well I'm just going to have to pick a new team to follow. I highly doubt Samsonov and Kovalev sat back and thought, boy, Mr. Lafleur is right. I need to change my ways. Bah.

No one says that past Glorieux are like High Priests that have to be obeyed! Just if a word of reason or not comes from experienced Hall of famers and that doesn’t at least spark a thought then .... please do find another team to route for..... then again why should I care

Edited by CoRvInA

Just if a word of reason or not comes from experienced Hall of famers and that doesn’t at least spark a thought then .... please do find another team to route for..... then again why should I care

Sorry, if you're a professional athlete, and you need to be motivated by a stupid article in the newspaper, regardless of who it's written by, then get the hell off the team. My point, not so subtletly made, was that if these are the types of players Montreal is employing, then I need to find a new team.

that’s the point

it isn’t just anybody!!! Its freaking Lafleur and he doesn’t usually do comments regarding the Habs... ( as stated by RDS)

and I really don't think (figuring how Kovalev is) he even cared but it makes you wonder and just like I wrote about comments of other Commentators from RDS that asked "don’t you think that might been heard by Sammy or Kovy?"

were not discussing if Kovy should have or not paid attention... the point is about at least giving the benefit of doubt that a Famous and important Habs player comes out and comments... its worth discussing if or not it could have made an impact

I can even add if it didn’t .... or that a player had said ###### Lafleur and his comments… Shit would have hit the fan within the organization! that Hall of fame player is respected therefore again it isn’t not just anybody... you have all the right not think so ... but there is no doubt in my mind his comments or Beliveau's or Lambert's would not fall on deaf ears in the habs org.

that’s the point

Actually, I think you're still missing my point. As a highly paid professional athlete, I don't care if a Higher Power, Trudeau, George Washington, Toe Blake, or Jeebus the County Fair Monkey comments on a player....if THAT is what it takes to motivate you...then sheesh, find a new profession.

On a side note, if said method DOES work as motivation, then maybe Lafleur or some other Habs player from the past should start lighting up on Niinimaa (I know he's playing his off side, just an example). And Lafleur rarely comments on the Habs? It seems once a month something from his columns spouts up about the Habs. Rarely is it anything positive.

Generally, players in any sport don't comment on negative press. Unless it's T.O.

Hm. Seems to me that this is some pretty good coaching going on. Sammy and Kovy start the season a little weak, Sammy gets sent to the fourth, where he plays maybe a shift, then he's back on the third and thence to the second where he's out there every shift proving he belongs. Kovy starts losing ice time because he's floating, so Carbo challenges him with the centre spot and suddenly Kovy is running through people. Carbo isn't being dictated by the media, by contracts, or anything else. He's being the coach of a team.

Shocking.

Best coach in Montreal since... when did Bowman leave? 80? A coach with cahunas who will do what needs to be done to bring out the best in players.

Who cares what the whiners are doing. Let them whine. They're performing.

As for Guy, he can say what he wants. I bet no one on the actual team gave a rat's ass - if they even read or heard of it. Hell, maybe someone went to him and told him to say it as motivation. Who knows and who cares. It's immaterial to the hockey.