Does Higgins have a shot at the Selke trophy?

hat trick

With already 3 short-handed goals and playing regularely on the PK, I'm wondering if Higgins has a shot at the Frank J. Selke Trophy this year for best defensive forward of the NHL?

He's playing for Carbo (3-times winner) and Gainey (4-times winner) is just upstairs. The Canadiens' coaching staff also includes Muller and Jarvis (1 Selke with the capitals). Carbo has also been comparing Higgins to Jere Lehtinen of the Dallas Stars (winner of three Selkes).

So... Am I daydreaming? If so, whoelse are serious contenders?

Edited by hat trick

I hate the Selke. I don't like it because it's given to a good defensive forward who also scores 30 or 40 points, and completely ignores guys who are just as good defensively as said 30 or 40 point scorer but don't contribute as much offensively. It's why a guy like John Madden is in contention every year for the Selke but his linemate Jay Pandolfo doesn't have a prayer, even though Pandolfo is arguably a better defensive player than Madden.

Higgins has just as much of a chance as anyone, I guess. There haven't been too many guys to win it in their second year in the league, but if Higgins keeps potting the shothanded goals then why not?

Well it is I'm sure we all agree too soon to say, but Higgins has had a great start to the season and I would say if he keeps this pace up he has to be one of the frontrunners. I didn't expect Higgins to play this role on the Habs though, am I the only one?

Well it is I'm sure we all agree too soon to say, but Higgins has had a great start to the season and I would say if he keeps this pace up he has to be one of the frontrunners. I didn't expect Higgins to play this role on the Habs though, am I the only one?

Well the surprise for most of us turned out to be more in relation with his offensive prowess display than

with his abilities at shoting down the opponent's offensive elements.

He now seems to be our winger equivalant of Koivu...... '' Top lines players seen on both PP and on PK units gaining inreased ice time used whenever a game get to be at a critical stage,...'' Go to Guys '' par excellence.

The only aspect of the game where those two are not the first choices are the shoot-outs.......but Higgin's offensive's limits are as unpredictable as they come and he might eventually makes his place within that select group too,.....Higgins is anything but good news to the CH.

So how's life in Kabukicho ? any out-door ice rinks there ?

Here's a thought... how about Bonk for the Selke?

Won't even be considered because he doesn't put up enough points. I agree that it's unfair to make it the trophy for "Best Defensive Forward" and then make offense part of the unofficial criteria for selection though. One year (94) Gilmour was nominated but lost to Fedorov because he had something like 111 points and Fedorov had 120. Right.... you tell me who the better DEFENSIVE forward is.

He'd have my vote but it would primarily be a 'homer' vote.

GO :hlogo: GO!

Sorry... did you mean "Higgins is anything but good news to the CH's OPPONENTS"?????

I think my english has gotten little better since I started visiting here, I never had the chance

to write in english before and there is something to gain in doing it and even more so if I get

corrected on the way........it's funny that '' nothing but good news to the CH '' would be the

correct way to say what I meant........yet my brain cells are still refusing to see it..........but wait,...I think it is sinking in.......got it now,....I think.

Edited by PB