Souray Speculation

Toren

Word around the media is that Souray caught a rut in the terrible Florida ice and damaged his ACL.

Speculation says it's a sprain, 4-6 weeks. Maybe it's small and he'll be day-to-day. Worst case scenario, it's an ACL tear and a season-ending injury.

They'll have to wait until the swelling goes down before they can get a better prognosis.

And there's always an upside to everything. When Sheldon's contract comes up, we don't have to pay him as much because he's missed over 75% of his games in the past 3 years, and this just strengthens the point.

Originally posted by jeppa

According to TSN Souray will be gone for at least a week. We can live with that.

They're saying it's a "sprained knee"... and that'll he miss at least a week.

THey said the same with Koivu during pre-season... he ended up missing a month or two.

Don't celebrate yet, wait until all the tests are done.

[Edited on 11-2-04 by Habs77]

Originally posted by Habs77
Originally posted by jeppa

According to TSN Souray will be gone for at least a week. We can live with that.

They're saying it's a "sprained knee"... and that'll he mis at least a week.

THey said the same with Koivu during pre-season... he ended up miss a month or two.

Don't celebrate yet, wait until all the tests are done.

Yes , but every case is different. Sometimes its a mild strain , sometime its major. Look at Ward's latest injury for example (shoulder not knee , but anyways) , looked like a serious dislocation , but Jason was back the next game....

But yeah , lets wait and see. Further tests will tell us the whole story.

Big guys and knee problems don't heal well together, so hopefully he doesn't need too much time.

I'm no celebrating, I just reported what I read.

Ryder injured his knee earlier this season, but didn't miss any games. So let's hope for the best, I think we can count him out for 1-2 weeks and that's the best possible scenario.

btw.... Beauchemin was called up by the habs.

Looks like Gainey/Julien are giving everyone a chance this year , Hossa , Hainsey , Balej , Gratton , Plekanec , Beauchemin , Dykhuis (did not play) , have all gotten the call...

RDS just updated their site again... the prognosis is back to 6 weeks:

http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/nouvelles?site=r...on&sport=#96007

Dans l'entourage du Canadien, on parle pour l'instant d'une absence minimale d'une semaine, RDS a appris que Sheldon Souray pourrait être à l'écart du jeu pour une période d'environ six semaines.

Le défenseur du Canadien s'est infligé une entorse au genou gauche en fin de match, mardi en Floride, en tentant de compléter une mise en échec à l'endroit de Juraj Kolnik en fin de troisième période. Des ligaments auraient été touchés.

Souray, qui est présentement le troisième meilleur pointeur du Canadien avec 35 points, n'a pas voulu rencontrer les médias pour commenter sa situation.

RDS has learned that although the official word for now is "at least" one week... their sources say the initial fears that the ACL was torn were correct and he'll miss about 6 weeks.

Souray refused to meet the media at this time to shed light on his situation.

--------------------------------------------

Still not 100% sure, but I do believe we've lost him for the balance of the regular season more or less.

Thankfully we have a slight cushion in the standings, and I expect Gainey to surely get some reinforcements now.

If we can hang on, at least it looks like he'll be there for the playoffs... hopefully.

Well, these are the moments that make or break teams. Someone or everyone will either step up and make a contribution, or we'll crumble and see our 12-point lead on a playoff spot deteriorate.

I'm not worried, but that could change fast. Let's hope for the best.

:ghg:

Originally posted by simonus

i don't tend to watch rds or  read rds.ca very much... does anybody have a feel as to how accurate their info on such matters tend to be?  The gazette and everywhere else i read has Souray out for a week...

The other media are just repeating the Habs "official" stance, while RDS is trying to get around the BS by saying there's a good chance there is some ACL damage and if that is confirmed he'll be out 6-8 weeks.

After the way the Habs pretended Koivu was ok during pre-season, that he might even be ready for the game opener... I tend to believe RDS more than the Habs.

Souray said he felt a burn in his knee, which usually indicates ligament damage.

TSN and the fan 590 are saying 6 weeks. The score ticker as of about 20 minutes ago says 2 games. Who's right? :?-

The day before Souray got hurt I was ragging on an Avalanche fan about Blake being out 6 weeks. What are the odds they'd get revenge this soon.