MONTREAL @ OTTAWA (Feb-14) : Gamethread

puck7x

It's nights like this where losing really does feel awful. As puck said, Jose didn't help our cause (he picked the wrong night to take a game off), and I'd think Garon starts against Atlanta on Tuesday.

By the way, Mika Noronen scored for the Sabres tonight, and they won.

Good news : Leafs lost to Sabres.

Bad news : Sabres are closing the gap.

More bad news : Sheldon's out for a while.

I thought the Habs looked a bit flat tonight. Maybe they played well in spurts but they didn't really buzz around Lalime often. He's been struggling lately.

Obviously wasn't Theodore's best night but I thought Chara's goal hit a stick on the way in. So couldn't blame him for that.

I agree with the poster that said Kilger's a waste of space.

Thank you Langdon and Simpson for a spirted bout.

Thank you CBC for Bob and Harry (Sarcasm)

Damn Leafs never seem to win the rare time you want them to.

Valentine's Day officially sucked.

Originally posted by puck7x

If Theodore had showed up tonight the habs would of at least gotten a point out of the game , and most likely 2...  

Too bad.

What?

Any night Theo isn't perfect, the loss is his fault... it's just not fair.

What about the damn forwards who have been doing FA for weeks?.. Ryder can't control the puck in front of an open net, Koivu gets in the slot but can't put it in, Sundstrom gets a chance but can't score.

It's the same story every damn night... and yet Theo gets the blame. I think three of the goals were deflections (Cherry of all people showed the replays after the game), Spezza's was a rebound and that's the D man's job...

I'm not saying Theo was great or anything... just that there's more than enough blame to go around.

And while we're assigning blame, CJ deserves some as well. We can barely hang around with these guys, so when we get a PP chance... go all out!!

We go 1 minute with our first PP, then Juneau, Kilger and the rest of the gang come out... basically Ottawa only has to kill off 1 minute per penalty, we take care of the rest ourselves.

I mean gimme a break.

And then last but not least, our friend and GM Bob Gainey. Your team was already losing steam, not playing well for the last couple of weeks... now we've gone from that to complete nosedive while Buffalo is surging.

And we're still standing pat.

The time to move was when things were still going well (or at least so-so). Waiting for our standings lead to completely disappear before moving is not patience, it's dropping the ball.

[Edited on 15-2-04 by Habs77]

Originally posted by Habs77

If Theodore had showed up tonight the habs would of at least gotten a point out of the game , and most likely 2...  

Too bad.

What?

Any night Theo isn't perfect, the loss is his fault... it's just not fair.

What about the damn forwards who have been doing FA for weeks?.. Ryder can't control the puck in front of an open net, Koivu gets in the slot but can't put it in, Sundstrom gets a chance but can't score.

It's the same story every damn night... and yet Theo gets the blame. I think three of the goals were deflections (Cherry of all people showed the replays after the game), Spezza's was a rebound and that's the D man's job...

I'm not saying Theo was great or anything... just that there's more than enough blame to go around.

If Theodore had stopped 2/3 of those questionable goals then the habs would have come out of the game with at least a point (sens empty net goal wouldnt of happened).

Excuse me if I am too lazy to spread the blame around to more then one player , but its not as if I let the forwards off the hook , tonight just happens to be the night I rag on Theodore.

When your goalie lets in soft goals like what Theo did tonight the whole team loses confidence. The players expect Theo to make those saves, and facing a tough enough task as it is against the Sens, you can't have one of the best goalies in the league letting in shots like that. Everyone knew it was gonna be a tough game to win or even tie, and that was with Theo playing as his usual self.

Jose deserves the most blame for the game tonight, not to say other people weren't at fault.

Originally posted by Quebecois

When your goalie lets in soft goals like what Theo did tonight the whole team loses confidence. The players expect Theo to make those saves, and facing a tough enough task as it is against the Sens, you can't have one of the best goalies in the league letting in shots like that. Everyone knew it was gonna be a tough game to win or even tie, and that was with Theo playing as his usual self.  

Jose deserves the most blame for the game tonight, not to say other people weren't at fault.

The blame game...

Win as a team - lose as a team. The Habs - Ryder and Sundstrom to be sure - had plenty of opportunities to score and make the game competitive on the scoresheet. The Sens were lucky as hell that Ryder and Sundstrom couldn't pull the trigger on their glorious chances - and that's what won that game for the Sens. Another good goalie for the Habs used to have the bad habit of letting in a softy once a game and grew out of it... just that back then the Roy had a better supporting cast.

If Theodore had stopped 2/3 of those questionable goals then the habs would have come out of the game with at least a point (sens empty net goal wouldnt of happened).

Did you not see that 3 of the goals were deflections?... they showed it after the game on CBC.

The other was a rebound, the D man's fault.

Theo does blow some games by letting a few softies in at times, tonight wasn't one of them... after you watch the replays of course.

I'll admit that without those replays they showed after the game, Theo did seem weak on a few.

Beyond that as I said I find it unfair to always blame the goalie or D men, and not the pathetic offensive output generated by our guys given the number of chances they DID create but could never finish.

Being a D man myself it's always been a pet peeve of mine, how forwards get all the glory... none of the blame.

If Gainey is going to trade for anything right now, I hope to god it's a forward. There's nothing we need more IMO.

some good news.... I got my prediction right :P

Now its time to bench the whole team since they dont seem to compete in the third... OR try to convince Bettman to change the league to only 2 period of play :P

Relax... We will win the next game becaus the team still have time to ragain control of their play.

Did you not see that 3 of the goals were deflections?... they showed it after the game on CBC.

The other was a rebound, the D man's fault.

Theo does blow some games by letting a few softies in at times, tonight wasn't one of them... after you watch the replays of course.

I'll admit that without those replays they showed after the game, Theo did seem weak on a few.

Beyond that as I said I find it unfair to always blame the goalie or D men, and not the pathetic offensive output generated by our guys given the number of chances they DID create but could never finish.

Being a D man myself it's always been a pet peeve of mine, how forwards get all the glory... none of the blame.

If Gainey is going to trade for anything right now, I hope to god it's a forward. There's nothing we need more IMO.

I saw that they were deflections , I did not get a good look at the replays though. Still though , Theodore had enough time to adjust to the deflection and make the save , given the long distance of the shots , I've seen it happen tons of times in other games , its a rountine save , sometimes its tricky , but 99% of the time its saved. Anyways...

I agree that the habs desparately need a forward , a big bodied top-2 line defensively responsible forward (winger) , but unfortunately those types of players are rare , and hard to acquire. I also think we need another d-man , a big hard hitting steady defensive type, would be great for depth ...

Gauthier and Smyth maybe puck?

I hope we get those two while trading players like Perreault, Dackell and Hossa since Hossa hasnt developed well lately he might be stopping the other prospects by taking their spots.

I agree that the habs desparately need a forward , a big bodied top-2 line defensively responsible forward (winger) , but unfortunately those types of players are rare , and hard to acquire. I also think we need another d-man , a big hard hitting steady defensive type, would be great for depth ...

But if you could only get one of the two... a big D or top line forward, which would you give first priority to?

As I said before, IMO we need a forward far more than we need another D man... of course both would be nice.

Originally posted by Dalhabs

Gauthier and Smyth maybe puck?

I hope we get those two while trading players like Perreault, Dackell and Hossa since Hossa hasnt developed well lately he might be stopping the other prospects by taking their spots.

A few of our rumored deals are no longer an option:

- Forget Arnott...

Strachan also claims the improved play of the Dallas Stars means they're no longer shopping defenceman Richard Matvichuk and centre Jason Arnott.

Spector's Note: The Stars were too talented to keep struggling in the second half as they did in the first half. Watching their rapid rise in the standings over the past several weeks, it's no surprise they're not willing to mess with team chemistry.

- Forget Gauthier....

TORONTO GLOBE AND MAIL: Eric Duhatschek reports if the Calgary Flames were to move a defenceman (which he believes is unlikely in part because of a recent shoulder injury suffered by Mike Commodore) it would be Toni Lydman rather than Denis Gauthier. Duhatschek called Lydman "a poor man's Nicklas Lidstrom" and believes he'd bring back more value( particularly for a center) in a trade than Gauthier. Lydman's $2.4 million salary for next season might also be an incentive.

Spector's Note: As usual Duhatschek is bang-on with his assessments. However, given the Flames recent surge in the standings, thanks in part to the return of goaltender Mikka Kiprusoff, I doubt the Flames will be dealing any of their defencemen.

Smyth EDM could still be an option as Edmonton is basically done in the West, Gratton PHX is available if you want a big 3rd line center... the Caps are still shopping their big money vets, the Rangers have apparently been considering becoming a seller on the market instead of a buyer. They've given up it would seem.

Also:

Spector's Note: Everson, last week reported the Devils were no longer interested in Conroy and Brind'amour because the asking price was too high.

If the price is too high for Lou, it's probably too high for Gainey as well.

But if you could only get one of the two... a big D or top line forward, which would you give first priority to?

As I said before, IMO we need a forward far more than we need another D man... of course both would be nice.

A forward for sure! I completely agree with you. We need a big bodied forward who can handle the opposition's big players ... It would help us in both the offensive zone , and the defensive one.

That the shots in question were deflected I have no dispute. HOWEVER...

The shots came from just over the blueline and Theo was on his knees before the deflections occurred. That's not good goaltending. And even if he wasn't on his knees, the simple fact is he should have plenty of time, even from that distance to adjust seeing as how he's a pro. If he can adjust for ones in much closer, which he does with regularlity, then he can certainly do them on shots from the blueline which are not in the least screen once they are about 45 feet away. Poor goals both.

That's not to say that he gets any blame for the loss, just that he let in some pretty poor goals which probably, right or wrong, demoralized the team. Simple as that.

ACF

Originally posted by Guy!

That's not to say that he gets any blame for the loss, just that he let in some pretty poor goals which probably, right or wrong, demoralized the team.  Simple as that.

On the same token, Theo has probably been demoralized by the pathetic efforts his teammates have put forward of late.

It can work both ways can't it? ;)