Question about powerplays

les_glorieux

Why are statistics for a team's powerplay calculated by "opportunities" and not by time spent with a man advantage? Wouldn't it be more accurate?

agreed!!!! fully and heartily agreed!!!!!!

I think I did a thread on that a few months ago so it's nice to see a supportive opinion.

GO :hlogo: GO!

Wow. This is pretty ridiculous. I emailed Scott Cullen at TSN. He does the power rankings, player rankings, and weekly NHL mail. I sent the message him maybe 3 minutes ago, and he already responded.

My guess would be that, when the league started keeping track, it was a lot

easier to do it by number of power play opportunities. That shouldn't be an

issue any longer, but I don't know if anyone will be able to convince the

NHL to change the measurement, even if it would be more accurate.

Edited by les_glorieux

Wow. This is pretty ridiculous. I emailed Scott Cullen at TSN. He does the power rankings, player rankings, and weekly NHL mail. I sent the message him maybe 3 minutes ago, and he already responded.

thanks lg & SC.

GO :hlogo: GO!

This would get skewy because of the fact that a goal ends a power play. Many teams have 2 PP units, and you can see how some teams would have one good one and one mediocre one while others would have 2 strong units.

So a team with one good unit that always gets the first minute of the PP and scores 3 out of 8 shifts, and one mediocre PP unit that never scores, would have 3 goals out of 11:30 or so (assuming the scoring averages out to happening at the mid-point of unit 1's shift), for .26 goals/minute;

Meanwhile, a more balanced team might score 4 goals on 8 powerplays, but have the front unit get 2 of them and the back unit get the other 2, leaving 4 goals out of 13:00, or .31 goals/minute;

Present way of looking at these stats:

Team A has 37.5% pp

Team B has 50% pp, i.e. 33% better than team A

"Efficiency" method:

Team A has .26 g/min

Team B has .31 g/min, i.e. only 19% better than team A.

Same events, different stats, of course. I think the present way is more representative of a team's pp strength - it's the goals that matter, not how long it takes to get them. That said, I think the way the stats are done now leave a lot to be desired, especially when 13 seconds into a pp, your team draws a penalty, and it counts like a missed opportunity.

I pretty much agree with OP. Realistically, the only way to equitably do it, is if the minor penalty was once again a full 2 minutes. Then, either by minutes or opportunity, the number would technically be the same.

When the Habs score in 30 seconds on a PP, nobody minds when the stats say they're 1-1. But when there are offsetting penalties where there is a time difference, people get bent out of shape when the Habs go 0-1 on a 6 second PP. It all works out in the end. While it's not uncommon, it usually isn't the standard that there are minor penalties called when time is offsetting.

This would get skewy because of the fact that a goal ends a power play. Many teams have 2 PP units, and you can see how some teams would have one good one and one mediocre one while others would have 2 strong units.

So a team with one good unit that always gets the first minute of the PP and scores 3 out of 8 shifts, and one mediocre PP unit that never scores, would have 3 goals out of 11:30 or so (assuming the scoring averages out to happening at the mid-point of unit 1's shift), for .26 goals/minute;

Meanwhile, a more balanced team might score 4 goals on 8 powerplays, but have the front unit get 2 of them and the back unit get the other 2, leaving 4 goals out of 13:00, or .31 goals/minute;

Present way of looking at these stats:

Team A has 37.5% pp

Team B has 50% pp, i.e. 33% better than team A

"Efficiency" method:

Team A has .26 g/min

Team B has .31 g/min, i.e. only 19% better than team A.

Same events, different stats, of course. I think the present way is more representative of a team's pp strength - it's the goals that matter, not how long it takes to get them. That said, I think the way the stats are done now leave a lot to be desired, especially when 13 seconds into a pp, your team draws a penalty, and it counts like a missed opportunity.

This analysis is correct as far as it goes and the scenario presented is better dealt with by the current system. The problem is that there is a much bigger problem with the current system.

Suppose team A has a very strong PP. But it also has many powerplays cut short by penalties or games ending.

Now team B has a weak powerplay but almost none of its powerplays are cut short except by goals by team B. The many unsuccesful 20 second powerplays by team A will make it seem like it has a weaker PP than team B.

I think this disparity is in fact not uncommon. Teams which play a chippy style tend to have many more brief powerplays. This makes the current PP rating system unreliable.

Edited by Peter Puck