What would you give for Jokinen?

JoeLassister

With Alex Auld and the OLD Belfour, I'm quite sure Florida would would like to get Abby, Ryder, Niinimaa or Rivest and a 1rst round pick for Jokinen.

He is the key to our 2nd center problem and with Abby, Ryder and Rivest out, it left around 6 million $ to afford his 5 millions contract.

I dont think we need to get another young player next year, Kost, Chip, Laps and Grabovski are already knocking door. So why dont give our 1rst rnd pick to get a big player?

Jokinen is 28, can have at least 4 or 5 good seasons, but he's lefty...

So what do you think about that ???

With Alex Auld and the OLD Belfour, I'm quite sure Florida would would like to get Abby, Ryder, Niinimaa or Rivest and a 1rst round pick for Jokinen.

He is the key to our 2nd center problem and with Abby, Ryder and Rivest out, it left around 6 million $ to afford his 5 millions contract.

so at the end of the season only ryder and a 1st round pick may be left in florida ??

don't think so.

they'll ask for: higgins, lats, komi...willing to do it now ??

so at the end of the season only ryder and a 1st round pick may be left in florida ??

don't think so.

they'll ask for: higgins, lats, komi...willing to do it now ??

Think Abby would sign as #1 goalie in Florida that's what he wants be the #1...

Jokinen would only solve our 2nd line C problem in that he is a true 1st line C and Koivu could play the 2nd line, where he truly belongs. Koivu is the heart and soul of this team and the best playmaker we have currently, but he is not a true 1st line center. I'm not knocking Saku, I'm simply stating the facts.

Anyways, getting Jokinen is a pipe dream. The only players we have who could be centerpieces of a deal for him are Kovalev and Souray. They won't want an aging, underachieving winger and they won't want a soon to be UFA D-man. That leaves us having to pile youngsters to send them, and Higgins would be at the top of that list.

Jokinen is Florida's franchise player. Those don't come at a 1b goalie, a 1st, and a soon to be UFA or two. The Joe Thornton trade was the exception to the rule.

The 20/20 hindsight thing of course is that three years back the Habs probably could have got Olli for relatively cheap ;) . Now he is in the position that Lecavalier occupied for the last few seasons, the coveted one . . . But it would cost too much, can't see it happening, anyway we can dream but we are not the only team who would like Jokinen.

Koivu ... is not a true 1st line center. I'm not knocking Saku, I'm simply stating the facts.

Hmm, I think I know what "facts" are. Isn't that what's called an "opinion"? :P

Jokinen is Florida's franchise player. Those don't come at a 1b goalie, a 1st, and a soon to be UFA or two. The Joe Thornton trade was the exception to the rule.

I think in the near future FLorida will be the next Buffalo Sabres or Pittsburgh Pinguins and Jokinen will not be part of this team. Boowmeester will be the franchise player. The #1 goaler COULD be Abby as Huet is in Montreal, with Kolnik, Horton, Frolik, McArdle and who knows what they could get for Jokinen...

Hmm, I think I know what "facts" are. Isn't that what's called an "opinion"? :P

The facts are that Koivu has only topped 70 points once, and that was with 71 points. First liners put up 80+ point seasons. If Koivu can do that this season, then maybe he will finally have proven himself as a legit top-line center. Until then, he shall remain classified is a heart-and-soul second liner forced to play on the first line because he's the best they've got.

Kolnik

Cross him off the list of young Panthers who the team is counting on. 79 points in 203 games and he's 26 years old. He's on pace for a whopping 17 points this season.

The facts are that Koivu has only topped 70 points once, and that was with 71 points. First liners put up 80+ point seasons. If Koivu can do that this season, then maybe he will finally have proven himself as a legit top-line center. Until then, he shall remain classified is a heart-and-soul second liner forced to play on the first line because he's the best they've got.

Of course you can "classify" him anyway you want to, you have every right to your opinion. :)

There are 6,5 billion people on the planet and 30 of them are first-line centers on NHL hockey clubs. Saku Koivu is one of those 30. Those, my friend, are the facts. :hlogo:

Cross him (kolnik) off the list of young Panthers who the team is counting on. 79 points in 203 games and he's 26 years old. He's on pace for a whopping 17 points this season.

are you counting on Plekanek ? I am. but he has only 45 pts in 110 games and he's 24. Don't think he will reach more than 80-85 in 203 games like Kolnik...

and i prefer Montréal as Florida as a team to accumulate points...

Edited by JoeLassister

are you counting on Plekanek ? I am. but he has only 45 pts in 110 games and he's 24. Don't think he will reach more than 80-85 in 203 games like Kolnik...

and i prefer Montréal as Florida as a team to accumulate points...

Kolnik is two years older. There is an incredibly small minority of players who reach their potential after the age of 25. Kolnik is 26 now, and has shown no signs that he's becoming a top 2 line winger.

There are 6,5 billion people on the planet and 30 of them are first-line centers on NHL hockey clubs. Saku Koivu is one of those 30. Those, my friend, are the facts. :hlogo:

So then Peter Forsberg wasn't a top line center in Colorado simply because Sakic was ahead of him on the depth chart? Nobody would have called Foppa second line talent because a fellow Hall of Famer was ahead of him. Richards is a 2nd line center because Vinny usually plays on the first line? (Yes, I know that Rachards and Vinny were recently swapped, to jumpstart Richards' season.) IF Carbo decided to try Plekanec on the first line so that Koivu could possibly jumpstart Alex and Sergei, would Plekanec then be defined as a top line center? Certainly not.

So then Peter Forsberg wasn't a top line center in Colorado simply because Sakic was ahead of him on the depth chart? Nobody would have called Foppa second line talent because a fellow Hall of Famer was ahead of him. Richards is a 2nd line center because Vinny usually plays on the first line? (Yes, I know that Rachards and Vinny were recently swapped, to jumpstart Richards' season.) IF Carbo decided to try Plekanec on the first line so that Koivu could possibly jumpstart Alex and Sergei, would Plekanec then be defined as a top line center? Certainly not.

Ok nevermind, I'd forgotten how tedious it is arguing with you :P hehehe ~ basically I don't see much point in this recurring questioning of whether Saku Koivu is a "legitimate" first-line center. He has been for years and will continue for be for many more to come the center on the first line of the greatest hockey team in the history of the game, and that's good enough for me. :hlogo:

Jokinen would be nice though .. . .. LeBerge is over in the Francophone section right now saying the same thing :)

Ok nevermind, I'd forgotten how tedious it is arguing with you :P hehehe ~ basically I don't see much point in this recurring questioning of whether Saku Koivu is a "legitimate" first-line center. He has been for years and will continue for be for many more to come the center on the first line of the greatest hockey team in the history of the game, and that's good enough for me. :hlogo:

It's a pointless argument, I agree. Whether or not he's a true first line center is meaningless if the team wins. I agree 100% that he is the heart and sould of the team and that he is by far the most important player on the team. Not all teams that succeed have a first line center. Calgary made the finals with Craig Conroy as their top center. If the Habs can win with Koivu on the top line, then great. If they are ever able to play him on a second line, just think what he could do with less pressure on him and not having to be on the ice on the top line of every situation.

In conclusion, top line centers ought to be dominant players who can take a game over by themselves. Saku simply is not that type of player. He's one of my favorite Habs and I love that he is a Hab. He is an inspiration and a great role model.

Back on topic of what I would give up for Jokinen.

Ryder

Chipchura

1st and 2nd round picks next year

Plekanec

I am not sure if I would give all of that for him but I would think about any of those guys or items in return for a game breaker such as Jokinen who also is 2nd in the league in shots.

As mentioned by others, you can forget about giving them Ninimaa and Aebischer though, teams aren't exactly lining up for those two and at this point it makes more sense to keep them since they have minimal trade value.

Back on topic of what I would give up for Jokinen.

Ryder

Chipchura

1st and 2nd round picks next year

Plekanec

I am not sure if I would give all of that for him but I would think about any of those guys or items in return for a game breaker such as Jokinen who also is 2nd in the league in shots.

same here but i'd switch Chipchura for Perezoghin. I think chip will be the next Bonk on the 3rd line. And if they want Abby WHY NOT???

Let's back the moving truck up here a second.

Everyone is suddenly in such a hurry to deal Plekanec, and it seems like the reason is because he's not producing offensively. But we're missing the other side of the story. Pleks is a pretty damn good checking center, a role he played most of last season. And he's got two damn fine checking forwards as coaches and another great two-way forward behind the bench as well. Higgins was supposed to be a checking forward, but now we see he can put up points and be a danger on offense as well. Maybe the scouts were missing Plekanec's potential as well. I think Plekanec and Perezhogin could be a great checking line pairing, which will be very important to have if Bonk and Johnson move on after this season. In fact, it could mean that the team could afford to lose one this summer. Both guys have played together in Hamilton, and now we've got Lapierre and Grabovsky serving notice. That's about four guys from Hamilton who could be competing for roles next year, always a good sign.

As far as Jokinen is concerned, I'd give your left nut to get him.

Ditto for me! But it isn't likely to happen.

Maybe you're missing my point. I don't want Jokinen. I've never liked him. I've never seen his appeal. He's only been a point-per-game player once in his career, and he is on pace to have another one this season. Late bloomer, maybe. But when it comes right down to it, I like what we've got more than what he is.