Official "Cuts" thread

ShortHanded

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ohh okay, well when do u think BG will sign him?

Probably when the season is over, if he does well in the pros. I think they wanted to sign him, but held off on officially having him under contract due to not wanting to get close to the 50 player maximum. I think there's a gentleman's agreement with guys like Beauregard & Desjardins in particular.

Lapierre job in danger?

The hell? I tought his job was 99.999% assured? Come on, dont tell me Murray is doing better than him!

Also according to that same RDS website , Carbo want Price to go to Hamilton but Gainey want him as number 2 in MTL... mmmm

Grabovski & Chipchura are battling for a roster spot. If they didn't put them on a line with guys they would theoretically be playing with if they made the team, what's the point in them still being there?

Lapierre is on the team. More than likely, Murray is as well as the reserve forward. Carbo's just testing different combinations to see if there's something in Grabovski & Chipchura that he likes long term.

Neither Chipchura or Grabovski will stay with the team if they aren't playing full time. Tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lapierre on a line with one of those two guys and someone else sitting out.

"At least one forward will be cut before opening day, and the players on the bubble are Maxim Lapierre and Garth Murray."

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...8d-346971ac0948

Lapierre may not have secured a spot on the roster according to Pat Hickey of the Gazette.

He also says the 2 of the 4 centre spots will go to rookies -- Kyle Chipchura and Mikhail Grabovski, while Smolinski shifts to third line right wing.

That would be really bad if this is true, Lapierre has proven to be a great 4th line player, agitator and penalty killer. Where i do like Murray, my bet would be Grabovski would be the one sent down.

IMO it would be a big mistake not having Lapierre in the starting line up.

"At least one forward will be cut before opening day, and the players on the bubble are Maxim Lapierre and Garth Murray."

Lapierre may not have secured a spot on the roster according to Pat Hickey of the Gazette.

He also says the 2 of the 4 centre spots will go to rookies -- Kyle Chipchura and Mikhail Grabovski, while Smolinski shifts to third line right wing.

Yes, but all of that is based on the line combinations he saw during practice, with Chipper and Grabs as Centers, and Lappy as an extra forward. Frankly, I'd rather they cut Murray and kept all three...

The other thought on the line ups at practice is GC knows what Lapierre does in NHL situations, this may be getting a better look at those 3 to narrow it down to 2 during the last 2 pre season games.

If they move down another gritty player for a smurf i'll be disappointed yet again. You can't have a soft team and expecting them to compete, the last 10 years have proven that.

The other thought on the line ups at practice is GC knows what Lapierre does in NHL situations, this may be getting a better look at those 3 to narrow it down to 2 during the last 2 pre season games.

If they move down another gritty player for a smurf i'll be disappointed yet again. You can't have a soft team and expecting them to compete, the last 10 years have proven that.

That's what I was getting at in my post regarding Lapierre. They're putting Chips & Grabs with potential linemates, players that they'd be playing with if they made the team. I don't think both are making it, but it's possible.

It's also possible that the team waives Dandenault, cuts O'Byrne and keeps all the forwards.

There are still many possibilities. Lapierre getting cut seems too remote of one, IMO.

It's also possible that the team waives Dandenault, cuts O'Byrne and keeps all the forwards.

GC said he's not gonna keep a rookie in montreal if he's not going to play. So forget Chips and Grabs as reserve players. Murray's spot as a hotdogs eater is safe.

Grabs is competing for a 3rd line spot (we need scoring!) and Lapierre and Chips are competing for a 4th line spot.

Edited by Punkned

Isn't it at least possible that Lapierre got too complacent over the summer (perhaps after being treated like a superstar by family, friends, and local yokels all summer) and has forgotten that his game is blood and guts, hard work and determination? This would be a fairly common trap for young players of his profile to fall into. If that's so, then the Lapierre we're talking about is not the player we all saw and loved last season.

Just something to consider, in the event that he is cut.

GC said he's not gonna keep a rookie in montreal if he's not going to play. So forget Chips and Grabs as reserve players. Murray's spot as a hotdogs eater is safe.

Grabs is competing for a 3rd line spot (we need scoring!) and Lapierre and Chips are competing for a 4th line spot.

GC said that, but he also refuted that O'Byrne has to be a top 6 to stay with the big team, so maybe he's changed his mind about chips and grabs too?

I bneleive in the pre season games Lapierre played in he was his usual agitating self, plus he has a couple of goals.

I doubt he'll lose his spot, GC used him in many key situations last year. Compared to so many who let him (GC) down, Lapierre never did.

I bneleive in the pre season games Lapierre played in he was his usual agitating self, plus he has a couple of goals.

I doubt he'll lose his spot, GC used him in many key situations last year. Compared to so many who let him (GC) down, Lapierre never did.

You're right. maybe Carbo just figures he's had "an ordinary camp" as he said, and is trying to light a fire under him to inspire him by giving him a challenge.

Neither Chipchura or Grabovski will stay with the team if they aren't playing full time.

That may be true for Grabovski but Chipchura is a defensive-minded player. He would probably develop better on a bottom line than he would playing in an offensive role he'll never grow into on the top line. Chipchura will play 3rd or 4th (depending on how they use Smolinski) line C for us this season.

Lapierre's spot is guaranteed. His chances of making the team are much higher than Grabovski's. I could definitely see both of them playing LW for us though.

Today the Gazette reports this:

Josh Gorges has had a fine training camp.

So has Ryan O'Byrne.

The question facing Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau is whether one or both of them have done enough to earn a spot on the Opening Night roster.

Carbonneau has nine defencemen to fill seven or eight spots, and he's trying to balance the strong performances made by the youngsters against the experience of players like Mathieu Dandenault and Francis Bouillon.

"You know what the veterans can do, but some of the young guys have come to camp well prepared and they're making the decision tough," Carbonneau said.

Uh...am I missing something here, Guy? We should possibly lose Gorges on waivers to make room for Dandeneault (and don't forget Brisebois!)? O'Byrne is NHL ready but we might send him down just so these mediocre-to-bad 'veterans' can play?

The Habs should be clicking their heels that Gorges in particular is showing himself ready to replace, say, Dandy. I'd be more reluctant about moving Bouillon, but clearly one of these vets needs to be excised. Talk about obvious.

Or, again, am I missing something? :huh:

Well, what would you like him to say, "Umm, yes, I'm excited to death that I can finally bench those two pieces of crap, Dandenault and Bouillon. I was really getting sick of them." He has to say the race is close. He kept Latendresse last year - I'm saying he keeps Chipchura and O'Byrne (and Gorges) this year.

Well, wha twould you like him to say, "Umm, yes, I'm excited to death that I can finally bench those two pieces of crap, Dandenault and Bouillon. I was really getting sick of them." He has to say the race is close. H ekept Latendresse last year - I'm saying he keeps Chipchura and O'Byrne (and Gorges) this year.

Hee hee, good point. I suppose I'm just antsy for (1) the season to start and (2) some of the old deadwood to be cleared away in favour of interesting new blood. Pull the trigger, Bob! :hockey:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber