Would you guys trade Zednik

GoHabs2002

This is pure speculation, but I wouldn't mind something like this happening.

I like Zednik, I loved it when they acquired him and know he's huge playoff performer.

I know Hainsey will in all likelihood pass through waivers untouched (let's assume). If he does, it does not mean teams are completely disinterested in him, but no one really know what the cap implications will be during the day to day, or week to wee operations of a full season. So I suspect teams will be a bit hesitant to add salary, regardless the amount, just yet. So I'm sure some teams would be interested in Hainsey later in the season once they are used to the cap limitations (especially, if Hainsey improves).

Philadelphia currently sits at roughly 38M, the habs at roughly 33M.

I'm expecting a big year from Joni Pitkanen of Philly and he will easily slip into the team's top 4 defensemen.

My proposal would be to trade Zednik, Hainsey and 2nd round pick (or combination of picks, picks would be needed, i believe to finish a deal, but as long as its not a first rounder, i'd do it)

to Philly for

Simon Gagne and Eric Desjardins.

For Philly, this trade does:

1 - Gives an extra million in cap space if they want to improve their roster further down the stretch.

2 - Gives them Hainsey a player who still has a good amount of potential, and who i think can use a change of scenery

3 - Gives something in return for a player, Desjardins, who will either retire at years end or the Flyers will not want anyway.

4- Trade a player who historically hasn't scored more tahn 1/2 pt. per game in the playoffs for a guy who produces in the playoffs (better)

For the Habs, this trade does:

1 - Gives one of the best two-way offensive players in the league. Meaning, he plays both ends as well as any forward in the league, but has the current and potential talent to score 60-75 points/ season.

2 - Gagne is young, still in his prime, or about to enter it. He may arguable be a better fit for the Kovelov, koivu line than Zednik (Gagne can pass with the best of them and can shoot and receive passes pretty well, also while zednik predominately shoots or offers sketchy passes, at times)

3 - Gives Habs playoff, championship, big game expereince for the blueline.

Habs payroll moves to about 34m and philly's moves down to about 37M.

What do you guys think? Is it probable? No. But is it out of the question, in terms of value for value?

I like the top line the way it is and I don't see a need to change it. Your reasons that Philadelphia would want the trade are good reasons for the Habs not wanting the trade (ie a guy who doesn't do well in the playoffs, a guy that is about to retire, etc.). Why would the Habs want that?

Wouldn't we want a guy that does well in the playoffs? I like Zednik and I happen to think he is a great match for that line. He is the hard accurate shooter on a line with 2 great setup men. Sounds good to me.

:ghg:

But Kovelov is a better hard, accurate shooter than Zed. And I just feel a guy like Gagne, who is only 25, can be a consistenly better producer than Zednik and a better compliment to the line.

As to my comment of why Philly might listen to the trade, that was more of the what Gainey might say to Clarke in the trade talk...I beleive Gagne will become a solid playoff player as more responsibility is given to him.

But I bet Clarkie would ask for 1st rounder in the deal, at which I would just say no.

I do like the first line the way it is, but I still hope Gainey is looking for better options.

Maybe sign Kovulchuk to an offer sheet at 7m per, we'd then trade Zed, but we'd be 36-37M.

aside from a top D-man, the habs seem to be lacking in top D prospects... Aside from Hainsey, whose value seems to be uncertain, who do we have in our system.... Beauchemin might have had a shot at cracking the lineup if we had kept him...

I like the idea but not with Zednik. Perhaps Riberio instead.......

Plekanec or as the sportsnet guys call him "playcannednuts" is ready for the second line center position.

He has played very well with Zednik.

Lines become:

Gagne - Koivu - Kovalev

Zednik - Plekanec - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Higgins

Perezhogin - Begin - Sundstrom

Desjardins - Markov

Dandenault - Rivet

Komisarek - Sourey

That is a solid team

yeah... i do see good things in that lineup, except:

I want to see plekanec play a few regular season games before he is given the 2nd line center position. Ribeiro was the top scorer last year... i need to be shown that he should lose his spot.

Perez on the 4th line? I dont know...

Are you throwing in Dagenais on that trade?

I must say that this whole idea seems completely against the gainey plan.

Dagenais is getting way under a million bucks a year to play on the second line. Thats not bad for a second line guy. Remember he scored 17 goals in 50 while in and out of the lineup. Thats not bad. For the price we are paying him, thats not a bad return. Can he score 20-25 goals if given a full season? He probably won't get it because young blood will be battling with him for a spot.

Trading just for trading is bad team policy. Good work ethics is best acheived by having players sharing the same team over the long haul.

Of course, when players within the organisation will appear ready to move up the first lines, like Kotsitsyn and Latendresse,...only then would Zednick be involded in a trade that would most likely be in an effort to bolster the defence.

Both like and dislike.

Zednik is one of the last player I would trade if I where the GM of the Montreal Canadiens. For 1.8 million we have a first line left winger. I can't think of anyone better. Sure we could have had another Kovalev but there's two Zedniks on one Kovalev if we talk money.

Ron Hainsey could be traded any day for me. I don't think he's got it. He has the skills but he doesn't seems to understand how to use them.

Simon Gagne. That would be sweet. Maybe the only left winger in the NHL that I would consider trading Zednik for. But I doubt the Flyers would so. Maybe if he fails big time this season, but would we want to trade Zednik then? I don't think so.

Desjardins would be nice to have around. But why would they? The have six great defenceman in Johnsson, Desjardins, Therrien, Rathje, Pitkänen and Hatcher. Siedenberg being their seventh. I don't see the Flyers trading any of those.

And when trading deadline is here and the Flyers wan't another forward I see them giving Owen Nolan a call...

And when trading deadline is here and the Flyers wan't another forward I see them giving Owen Nolan a call...

Ya, but the the Flyers have less than a million left in Cap space and I beleive Dec. 1st is the deadline that if a player isn't signed, he can't play in the league (i don't know if its just for RFAs or all FAs).

Don't you think Nolan would agree on to play for a leauge minimum if he will be given the chance to win a Stanley Cup with the Flyers?

I don't know about you guys but I hold the Flyers as the top contender along with Ottawa and Calgary.

This trade would be reeetarded, bringing a washed up Desjardins back and getting a guy we can sign as an unrestricted free agent in a year or two. And like you said Zednik is a play-off performer. Hainsey isn't worth a dozen water bottles & Gainey ain't giving away draft picks. (Phew) Let's let a young team gel, like Hamilton did last year and had a strong finish. We can always add a peice to the puzzle before the trade deadline if needed.