Incredible Start

JMMR

In 2003-2004 the last NHL season in which the Habs finished 7th in the east they had a record of 41-30-7-4 a decent record.

During that season in their first 16 games they had 15 points this year we have 25. It took us until December the 2nd and our 25th game to amass that total last season so all I can say is wow what a start.

The habs have also scored almost 20 more goals to this point and have allowed only 9 more.

But they can’t get over confident some good tests the rest of this month.

As of right now habs are on pace for a 128-point season, imagine if they could keep it up.

The '76-'77 team (which lost only 8 games all season) went 12-3-1 for 25 points in their first 16 games, too.

Anytime the current team can match stats with some of the best of all time, it's a sweet situation. It's not like, say, the Florida Panthers getting off to their best ever start, where there's not much history... this is the best team in the history of the sport.

As much as we all had high hopes for this year's team, I don't think any of us would have been brave enough to predict this. They're doing just enough to win every night, and there seems to be a different player stepping up each night.

You gotta love it!

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

I can't see us winning the cup this year but anything's possible.

Next year is much more realistic though.

Yea... picture Kostitsyn and Latendresse making the team on top of the bunch of guys we already have.

Add another solid defenseman to that, and wham... what a team.

Cup talk is fun but seriously premature at this point. You can talk about our depth, but the fact is, one serious injury on D and we'd be in trouble.

Still, given the youth on this team and the fact that its core players (Koivu, Zednik, Theodore) are all entering their prime, and that Kovalev is only on the early side of old, I'd say that if they're not considered damned serious contenders by, oh, 2008, I'll be disappointed.

Originally posted by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

Cup talk is fun but seriously premature at this point. You can talk about our depth, but the fact is, one serious injury on D and we'd be in trouble.

Still, given the youth on this team and the fact that its core players (Koivu, Zednik, Theodore) are all entering their prime, and that Kovalev is only on the early side of old, I'd say that if they're not considered damned serious contenders by, oh, 2008, I'll be disappointed.

2008?. We are serious contenders right now!!. Like I've said before, if Theo is hot, this team can beat anybody.:hlogo:

Originally posted by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

We have to consider not only our lineup, but our potential competition's as well.

If the Habs play the way they're capable, I think they can come out on top in a best of seven series against anybody... except the Senators. We haven't proven that we can beat them once yet. Also, I think in our last game vs. the Sens, we flattered ourselves to push it to overtime. Theo was outstanding, and we still lost. I don't think we could beat them 4 times.

considering that hockeyfuture and most analysts rank our development program near the top of the league, i think it is reasonable to have cup-aspirations over the next few years.

I am a little worried about the state of our development D-corps, but hopefully some trades or signings can remedy that issue.

what is wrong with the d-men that we already have. Is it their lack luster offensive performance? On the other side, I haven't seen this team get blown out of the water yet as a result of the d-men. Defense is a team effort. What is that you guys look for in a defenseman for this team? I don't understand. Our team is going to improve its play defensively give it time.

:hlogo:

Originally posted by Habsterr

As much as I like this team, they need a top PP quarter-back on D. Maybe Markov will be that guy....but my feeling is we will have to make a trade or pick up a FA.

[Edited on 2005/11/10 by Habsterr]

And who would that be? Every team in the leaue wants someone like that for their D and nobody of that significant talent is available. Plus what do you trade for a top D and don't say Dags.... You got to have someone that another team wants before they are going to give you their best defenceman.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz
Originally posted by Habsterr

As much as I like this team, they need a top PP quarter-back on D. Maybe Markov will be that guy....but my feeling is we will have to make a trade or pick up a FA.

And who would that be? Every team in the leaue wants someone like that for their D and nobody of that significant talent is available. Plus what do you trade for a top D and don't say Dags.... You got to have someone that another team wants before they are going to give you their best defenceman.

I agree with you. We will either have to wait until trade deadline and see if someone makes sense and reasonably cheap (take his salary, end of contract) or wait and sign a FA in the off season. Who we trade away will probably mean draft picks if Gainey really thinks we can make a run this year.

Just a reminder everyone, Scotty Bowman, a great coach with a looooong and greatest track record, always bulked up with great D with offensive skills.

It is the main missing link at this point that I see.

Just my humble opinion:)

A fabulous start, no less and yet we remain insecured somewhat, and for good reasons, as we are not able to pin-point what on hearth could be the obvious and distinctive elements that as been required to know such a good start..... which therefore makes it most difficult to extrapolate with any kind of certainty as to what the rest of the season will look like.

Gainey's little press conference yesterday might be of some help here in trying to understand our succes so far,.....he was mostly happy with '' la chimie'' within the team and about Julien's succes in getting everyone to adopt his system.

Those merits are mostly intangible in term of hockey talks, computeur assisted evaluation or superficial power rancking system and even if we know how IMPORTANT these aspects are there remain the question as to how far this will hold up to in the season ? But whatever is our gess on that, we know that the foundation on which the team operate is as good as can be and that is in itself an assurance of being in the play-off this year....but we are open for more of course...so lets go and get some more.

If the league can manage to hold onto these 'new' rules for the entire season, I think we'll make the playoffs quite easily.

However, the big question on my mind, is will they enforce all of these rules in the post season? Will we run into a bigger team that just runs us over? Similar to the Leafs and Sens rivalry where the Sens are more talented but somehow the leafs just beat them into submission a few years in a row?

Originally posted by matsnaslundsuperfan

what is wrong with the d-men that we already have. Is it their lack luster offensive performance? On the other side, I haven't seen this team get blown out of the water yet as a result of the d-men. Defense is a team effort. What is that you guys look for in a defenseman for this team? I don't understand. Our team is going to improve its play defensively give it time.

There is nothing wrong with our current d-men, but we have zero depth. Nobody really promising in the minors (please, I don't want to ear about Hainsey)...that's the problem. An injury to one of our top d-men, and we are screwed.

Also, a top quarterback for the PP would make this team much more dangerous. More over, our D is good, but not great like Ottawa's. A top D-man would make this team simply the top in the league. Imagine replacing Souray's ice time and even more by a Redden type of D-man who plays 30 minutes per game...we would be scarry:/)

By the way, Redden will be a UFA next summer :):):) Such a D-man would also help our transition game and improve our offense. Lets say he asks for 5M$ next year, that's only 2.5 more then Souray and we have the cap space.

I know that we will have to wait unil the trade deadline or next summer, but I'm sure that a top D-man is Bob's #1 priority.

Habsterr I agree with your observations.

Unfortunately for this year we have to do with what we have. I was probably more critical than anyone else here about Montreal having a poor defense. Fortunately for Montreal, they proved me wrong. They are not bad as a group and Streit looked pretty good the other night being able to move the puck. The defensive group really does not have to score if Montreal can get enough offense from the forwards.

Maybe by trade deadline someone will panic, like New Jersey is right now and make a blockbuster trade. It would be tough to lose our young guys or draft picks, so this will have to be done with a much research.

Would we still be concerned with our defense core if we were not drooling over the fact that Brisebois is having such success in Colorado.

I think the issue here is that most of us concerned with our defense offensive production. A concern in my mind is of little value. Our defense is doing the job of keeping Theo happy. Its not been perfect but the d-men are adjusting to the new rules and style of play.

Aside from lack of depth, I see no issue with regards Habs defense.

Would we still be concerned with our defense core if we were not drooling over the fact that Brisebois is having such success in Colorado.

I think the issue here is that most of us concerned with our defense offensive production. A concern in my mind is of little value. Our defense is doing the job of keeping Theo happy. Its not been perfect but the d-men are adjusting to the new rules and style of play.

Aside from lack of depth, I see no issue with regards Habs defense.

I still think that we need a top D-man to have a dangerous PP and to be a top team.

As for the cap space you mentionned before, I agree that I want to retain Koivu and all the others first, but if we still have some room, I would like to replace Souray who is making about 2.5M$ by a top D-man making 4 to 5M$.

I like Souray. I would hate to see him leave... but maybe he'd be the guy to offer up.

You'll like this one.... would anyone be interested in Komisarek. I expect the Rangers would take a bite, they enjoy feasting on habs prospects. Maybe we'd get Kasparitis in return... LOL

Just kidding.

I like Souray. I would hate to see him leave... but maybe he'd be the guy to offer up.

You'll like this one.... would anyone be interested in Komisarek. I expect the Rangers would take a bite, they enjoy feasting on Habs prospects. Maybe we'd get Kasparitis in return... LOL

Just kidding.

That's not even funny :mad:

Just kidding :lol:

Its not that I dislike Souray, but he's are worst D-man under the new rules and due to his salary, he's the ideal guy to let go and replace with a top D-man.

Just imagine:

Markov-Rivet

Redden-Komi

Bouillon-Dandenault

Man that would be awesome:/)

Maybe if we all pray all lucky stars Redden can be signed by the Habs in the offseason, but I'd bet the Sens would trade him if it was apparent that they couln't get him under contract before the end of the year. A LOT of teams would be interested in a sign and trade.

Originally posted by Rooster

Maybe if we all pray all lucky stars Redden can be signed by the Habs in the offseason, but I'd bet the Sens would trade him if it was apparent that they couln't get him under contract before the end of the year. A LOT of teams would be interested in a sign and trade.

Its almost a certainty that he will go. Look at their cap space, they can't afford to resign Chara and Redden and its been mentionned that Redden would be the one to go if they had to chose because Phillips is more like a Redden type player then a Chara type player.

Would Ottawa risk trading Redden before the trade deadline and by the same time lowering their chances at a cup? I have serious doubts about that.

I think that Redden will be a UFA at the end of the year. Then its up to Bob to do his thing. With the season we're having, players will definetly be more interested in coming here then in the past.

Now lets all pray that he commes here next year :bow: