Fifa World Cup

sakiqc

World Cup 2006  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you cheering for? (Poll choices sorted by current winning odds)

• Brazil
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Italy
    • France
    • Holland
    • Spain
    • Portugal
    • Czeck Republic
    • Sweden
    • Mexico
    • Ukraine
    • USA
    • Serbia
    • Ivory Coast
    • Poland
    • Switzerland
    • Australia
    • (Other)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shortcat, if you like Portugal, then you should make a trek down to civilization (!), specifically my neck of the woods - Cambridge, Ont. There's a huge Portuguese population here, so you'll be among friends! After their first win, I thought they had been awarded the World Cup the way they were celebrating - horns a honkin', flags a flying, etc. Crazy.

Go Dutchmen!!! (Interesting to see they're leading the poll, by the way)

My bias for Portugal is marriage-based.

My daughter married a young Portuguese kid (Costa) and he's a soccer fiend. So, for the sake of family fun, we go for Portugal.

We all have Portuguese soccer jerseys (bought from eBay) and just have fun. Other than that, I'd be a France fan (or in a negative sense, an anybody but Germany, Brazil & Argentina fan).

:king: :hlogo: :king:

My daughter married a young Portuguese kid (Costa) and he's a soccer fiend. So, for the sake of family fun, we go for Portugal.

We all have Portuguese soccer jerseys (bought from eBay) and just have fun. Other than that, I'd be a France fan (or in a negative sense, an anybody but Germany, Brazil & Argentina fan).

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Haha, that's pretty much how I feel... but add Italy and Portugal to the list. I'm part Italian, but everyone around where I live is so Italia krazy, that I have to go for someone else..

So for me It's any team that's entertaining, but mostly France or England.

I can relate. I root for Italy for marriage reasons as well (although it's my own marriage!). I root for the Netherlands and England because of my own ancestry.

When any of those teams play each other, I'm a Montreal Canadiens fan (my default condition). :D

Go Germany!!!

Who's the other one that voted for them???

Anyway, I dont follow soccer as much as used to back when I was playing it. But since I was a Bodo Illgner fan, I'll cheer for the Germans.

Someone want to tell me how the second half of the Holland game went? I fell asleep waiting for halftime to end. :angry:

And correct me if I'm wrong because this is the only time I've seen him play but Jaliens isn't very good. At all.

Someone want to tell me how the second half of the Holland game went? I fell asleep waiting for halftime to end. :angry:

And correct me if I'm wrong because this is the only time I've seen him play but Jaliens isn't very good. At all.

0-0 final. The 2nd half was no better than the first.

Uh.......... may I humbly say that...

PORTUGAL 2388553418.jpg

WON 1899985615.jpg

AGAIN!!!! 2390221703.jpg2531157337.jpg4112356503.jpg

:king: :king: :king:

No Jaliens had a rough night! But dont forget how good the strikers from Argentina are. But i think De Cler played a solid game. So we have a decent backup for Gio. I think the best man tonight was Boula again! What a man! He gave nothing away. For the rest is was a bit boring. Holland not as good as Argentina, but they also couldnt break the dutch defence. I think we totally lost it on the midfield. I think our strikers and defenders were quite allright! Cocu is playing horrible so far!

No Jaliens had a rough night! But dont forget how good the strikers from Argentina are. But i think De Cler played a solid game. So we have a decent backup for Gio. I think the best man tonight was Boula again! What a man! He gave nothing away. For the rest is was a bit boring. Holland not as good as Argentina, but they also couldnt break the dutch defence. I think we totally lost it on the midfield. I think our strikers and defenders were quite allright! Cocu is playing horrible so far!

Ah, alright, I thought that might be the case. Like I said, only time I've seen him play but he got beat constantly.

He's quite a good right-back. He had a good year for AZ and probably will make a big transfer to a German club, i believe it was Leverkusen. But i'm not sure! But i prefer Kromkamp anytime, i have no idea what he messed up with v.Basten.(he didnt play a lot this year, but there are more players with that problem)

Seems like the US gets the uptight refs all the time. Their last two games have been called tighter than the other games I have seen. Bad calls both ways in this game and the last. I was unclear about the PK, but the announcers seemed pretty adamant that there was no foul.

Reyna's an idiot.

I won't be surprised if Bruce Arena is ousted after his team's poor performance in this World Cup. He's done a lot for USA soccer, but his managerial decisions were awful in this tournament.

He didn't get his team ready to play against the Czech Republic. How difficult can it be to motivated a team in the World Cup?

Against Italy, he had to fight the officiating, but he never brought Eddie Johnson onto the field. Johnson provided the team's only spark against the Czechs, and despite the fact that McBride was tired and they needed more speed with only 9 men, Johnson never even got onto the pitch.

Against Ghana, he didn't bring in more offense at half-time. Down 2-1 and needing 2 goals to advance, how do you not go all out for the entire half. Idiotic to wait until the 60th minute, especially with how little scoring they had all tournament.

And after struggling against the Czechs so much, why did they stick with the 4-5-1 formation? Johnson had been one of their most consistent scorers in qualifying and hardly saw the pitch. They had so few chances with such a defenisve formation.

As for players, Landon Donovan showed why he saw nothing but the bench while playing in Europe. He was invisible for all three games. Beasley was invidible. Most of the team was invisible.

So I don't mean to be an ass Fanpuck but I'm REALLY, REALLY, REALLY glad that the US didn't qualify for the next round. Maybe they can get a normal ranking now. Overrated bastards.

Now if England loses their next game and Holland wins the World Cup, this will be the perfect tournament.

:D

I agree they were overrated, but they were still a solid enough team that they should have been able to get out of the group.

Then again, who ever thought the Czechs wouldn't advance?

Yeah, out of those three teams, I'm sure Ghana would've been the last team that people would've expected to advance.

I had Italy and the Czechs pegged to advance since the groups were made in December.

A first for Croatia's Josip Simunic. English referee Graham Poll gave the defender 3! yellow cards in last nights 2-2 tie with Australia. Simunic really deserved that red card ;)

Was watching the Argentina-Mexico game earlier, and the Argentine defender made a big mistake by missing the ball, allowing it to go right to the Mexican striker. The defender recovered by tackling the ball carrier well after the ball was past him, in an obvious attempt to prevent a scoring opportunity with his foul. Now THAT is the type of foul that warrants a red card, not Pablo Mastroeni's tackle.

Was watching the Argentina-Mexico game earlier, and the Argentine defender made a big mistake by missing the ball, allowing it to go right to the Mexican striker. The defender recovered by tackling the ball carrier well after the ball was past him, in an obvious attempt to prevent a scoring opportunity with his foul. Now THAT is the type of foul that warrants a red card, not Pablo Mastroeni's tackle.

And yet it was only a yellow card... I can't quite understand that.

Well now the real fun begins because Mexico is having an election this week. This has happend before so I wouldn't be suprised if the leftist mayor of Mexico City will get elected over the current government. Believe it or not a world cup outcome has dictated an election outcome before. It happend in Britian, I believe.

That was an amazing game. Maybe the best of he tournament so far. I can't wait for Holland-Portugal though as that one should be just as promising. But that's what we thought Holland-Argentina would be and that one turned out pretty average.

That ref who waved off that argentinian goal just before the 90th minute was all smiles after Argentinia won 2-1.