NHL commentary teams

dlbalr

Mike Johnson: very underrated colour man. He's a blander version of Ferraro, and also has lots of useful insights from his 'player' days IMHO.

I agree that he's quite underrated. Surprisingly, Sportsnet doesn't as they decided to let him go today. I wonder if TSN would bring him back as the #2 colour guy behind Ferraro, allowing Jamie McLennan to focus on his radio show in Toronto.

Yes, don't mind Johnson at all, just hope and pray Healy dosent end up at TSN!

He was there once upon a time I think. I wouldn't mind that but I know I'm in the minority there. He won't be short money-wise as he has three years left on his deal with Sportsnet and is being paid that in full. He's actually talked about potentially going into politics and noted in the past he was asked to run as a Conservative MP.

He was there once upon a time I think. I wouldn't mind that but I know I'm in the minority there. He won't be short money-wise as he has three years left on his deal with Sportsnet and is being paid that in full. He's actually talked about potentially going into politics and noted in the past he was asked to run as a Conservative MP.

So his politics are as atrocious as his broadcasting - swell :bonk:

That's too bad about Johnson. He deserves another gig, and perhaps even a higher profile.

So his politics are as atrocious as his broadcasting - swell :bonk:

I dont know about that. He should be able to show up to a ton of photo ops and spend borrowed money he doesn't have like a drunken sailor. Maybe his politics can align with that other party.

I dont know about that. He should be able to show up to a ton of photo ops and spend borrowed money he doesn't have like a drunken sailor. Maybe his politics can align with that other party.

Ha haaaa, I knew that one would trigger a response. I could respond that the Conservative fiscal track record is a disaster, but hey, time and place, etc.. The point is, Mike Johnson did a good job and has been both wrongly underrated and unfairly fired.

I can't understand why people didn't like him either. I thought he was pretty good.

All I can think of is that he's fairly vanilla. Doesn't come off as Larger than Life. However, I deny that fans want or need a side-show of the Cherry/Macguire loudmouth variety - what we want and need is ANALYSIS to help us understand/appreciate the game better - so I reject the whole premise.

All I can think of is that he's fairly vanilla. Doesn't come off as Larger than Life. However, I deny that fans want or need a side-show of the Cherry/Macguire loudmouth variety - what we want and need is ANALYSIS to help us understand/appreciate the game better - so I reject the whole premise.

Dumb that down a bit please.

I know I want to have some idiotic response, but not sure what you exactly mean?

So fans actually need a flashy talkinghead character and not one of substance?

Dumb that down a bit please.

I know I want to have some idiotic response, but not sure what you exactly mean?

So fans actually need a flashy talkinghead character and not one of substance?

No, I meant the opposite. What I'm suggesting is that the networks prioritize 'personality' over substance, because they assume that we are idiots who want to be 'entertained' rather than offered useful insights. They think we 'actually need flashy talkinghead character.' Just look at the guys that the networks have tended to elevate over the years: Heatly, Stock, Cherry, Kypreos, etc., etc.

I get that you do need a certain level of camera presence. But what I want, and I'm guessing a lot of us want, is INSIGHTFUL commentary more than brash loudmouths and former Leafs spouting their arbitrary personal preferences. Give me a lower-key guy like Johnson, who actually had some interesting things to say, over the PJ Stocks of the world any day.