An Early Look at the World Juniors

Commandant

Good looking team, but;

I wouldnt have Wilson (i thought he was useless vs the Russians in summer and on big ice?), nor Sutter (who has done dick-all this year) on team, and would repalce with, big Mantha, Sissons or Gordon on Danault's line. Shinkaruk is one quick shifty player also (who is showing he dosent need Etem to produce offense), who would do super with good linemates and i would slot ahead of McNeill.

On the back end Pulock or Theodore over Reinhart (who is just a Sami Salo clone, good but your top 4 already can shut down, dont need a 5th defensive d-man) and Pulock is gonna be a suoer star i think and i like his size and offense also over Dumba (at present).

Theodore is a good looking d-man also and as you say the big ice would favour a good skater/rusher, like Theodore.

I imagine you considered these guys and rejected for one good reason or other (experiance mostly i am guessing?)

I also would consider Curtis Lazar.for 3rd/4th line.

I did try to mostly go with experience, especially kids who had big international experience (U18, Ivan Hlinka) or big playoff experience.

Its a tough team to crack though, there is a lot of depth there when I'm cutting kids like Shinkaruk, Ryan Murphy, Phil DiGiuseppe, Brendan Gaunce, etc...

I did try to mostly go with experience, especially kids who had big international experience (U18, Ivan Hlinka) or big playoff experience.

Its a tough team to crack though, there is a lot of depth there when I'm cutting kids like Shinkaruk, Ryan Murphy, Phil DiGiuseppe, Brendan Gaunce, etc...

What is your opinion of Pulock? possibly better than Jones? Or does he just seem much superior because he is in 3rd WHL year and Jones is a rookie?

Reinhart is super junior d-man, but still think Isles overrated him.

Murphy is a 1 trick poney but would take him over Reinhart for big ice, DiGuiseppe is all right, but for bottom six Lazar/Sissons are likely much better all-round arnt they. and never fan of Wilson, Sutter is having bad start to year.

Gaunce-McNeill sort of equal type player eh and i would lean towards Shinkaruk's offense/quickness.

I think Jones has the size and the defensive game over Pulock right now, though Pulock looks better offensively. I think teams will want Jones more.

Wilson I'm not a fan of that draft pick, but kid can skate and hit, and Canada always has one of those type of players in the lineup. I call it the Jordan Tootoo effect.

Brady Skjei – Jacob Trouba should be a super pairing, but could they stop Huberdeau and Hopkins?

The russians must be the favorite this year?

If the lockout continues, I have to think Team Canada is the favorite.

Grigorenko - Yakupov is great, and they are playing at home... but Canada is super stacked.

In fact I think overall Sweden has a better team on paper than the Russians, Landeskog, Forsberg, Larsson, Colberg, plus guys like Klefbom, Lindholm, etc... on defence.

If the lockout continues, I have to think Team Canada is the favorite.

Grigorenko - Yakupov is great, and they are playing at home... but Canada is super stacked.

In fact I think overall Sweden has a better team on paper than the Russians, Landeskog, Forsberg, Larsson, Colberg, plus guys like Klefbom, Lindholm, etc... on defence.

yes it seems a super bunch of 1992 russians i was thinking of are now all too old.

But that Slepyshev seemed a nice player this summer and Khokhlachev, Kucherov are rated fairly well i think? and likely several others, like the guy from the Sting/Knights and several other CHL teams and goalie should be good.

Erik Nystrom likely just gonna miss the cut with Sweden eh? i think he is about 10th in scoring overall in J20 leagues (seems to be a southern and northern league there)

Erik Nystrom likely just gonna miss the cut with Sweden eh? i think he is about 10th in scoring overall in J20 leagues (seems to be a southern and northern league there)

He was cut from a U20 camp earlier in the summer which surely doesn't help his cause. His early start to the season hopefully will bump him back into consideration.

Tim Bozon has decided not to play for France at the WJC - Division II tournament at the beginning of December. He will continue to play in the WHL as he feels this is better competition for his career going forward.

France would be competing in Division II trying to earn a spot in the regular tournament for 2014.

Hunter Shinkaruk was easily best canadian forward for WHL. That Graham Black kid was a surprise and can really fly.

Pulock does have one wicked shot from the point.

Russians do have some talented kids, but their friggin names make it hard to sort em out?

And sad to say, Morgan Reilly is just too darn good and Leaf fans will be very happy with that pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Same ol, and just can never seem to have enough d-men.

So with 2 d-men potentialy off your original roster, if Ouellet is out; which 2 likely will draw in Murphy and Pouliot?

Or will Nurse-Pulock-Theodore or Morrissey have a decent shot as 7th man now?

Ouellet appears to be a minor sprain, 1-2 weeks at most. He should be good to go.

That leaves

Rielly - Hamilton

Ouellet - Harrington

Reinhart

as my locks.

Murphy is probably a lock for one of the two remaining spots as Steve Spott is his coach in Kitchener.

So that means Dumba, Pouliot, fighting for the 7th spot; or a guy like Adam Pelech who was on the summer team (defensive D).

Doubt they look at the 17 year olds.

McKenzie has Hudon as a 'lock' on the 2nd line (of an all-star Canada team). Could Timmins have found another gem?

Only time will tell if Hudon will be effective as a pro? But for 122nd pick, his solid 2 way game is encouraging for sure and with no concussion set back, he likely would of been top 20 in scoring.

Before the draft i thought he might be just another, Archambault-Dumont-Fortier-Masse-Lefebvre -type player (good junior but so-so pro) and sort of obligatory francophone to be selected by Habs, but maybe i underestimated him and Timmins? Hope so.

To slap the fans in the face, I imagine. WJC is gonna be the ONE good hockey experience this year, and the Sens owners are doing their part to deprive the fans of that too. You can bet Sens fans would have been excited to see their #1 prospect play, especially since they won't see much of their other players. You'd think it would be the owner's top priority to establish as much good will with their fans as possible. What a joke.