recently retired jerseys.

BCHabnut

I wonder if Gary Bettman is encouraging team owners to retire jerseys or if team owners are doing it to add some hype to the game?

For years and years, the habs only had like 7 jerseys retired. Now suddenly Savard and Geoffrion and Dickie Moore's and Yvan Cournoyer's number 12 , and now Dryden. That's a lot of retired jerseys that should have either been retired before, or someone felt that the standard for retiring a jersey is higher than our standard today.

Only the exceptional player should have that honour. I for one agree with all the retired numbers thus far... and can see a few more for the habs but I'm not sure there are many others in the league that deserve this wonderful honour...

Go HABS GO!

I wonder if Gary Bettman is encouraging team owners to retire jerseys or if team owners are doing it to add some hype to the game?

For years and years, the habs only had like 7 jerseys retired. Now suddenly Savard and Geoffrion and Dickie Moore's and Yvan Cournoyer's number 12 , and now Dryden. That's a lot of retired jerseys that should have either been retired before, or someone felt that the standard for retiring a jersey is higher than our standard today.

They're prepping for the 100 year anniversary in 2009.

Not totally, but sort of on this topic, I read somewhere -- sorry can't remember where -- that when Wayne Gretzky's #99 was retired, it was retired "league wide." While I can't imagine any Habs player ever wearing that number in the future, I wonder if it would/should actually qualify as a retired jersey in Montreal?

But of course no chance for Larry 'Pariah' Robinson. We'll retire Nilan and Tremblay before him, I think.

F'n disgrace - almost as bad as the team's current form.

Robinson's will be retired in the next 3 years mark my words. Not one player has worn 19# since he left.

Edited by JMMR