The '08 Presidential Election Thread

Pierre the Great

he just can't win the republican nomination. He completely goes against the parties beliefs. If he was a dem he'd be a shoe in. But he's a Rockefeller Republican. Those guys are ancient and dead in the republican party now. He represents what the Republican party used to stand for but now that the party has been hijacked for over 30 years he has no shot.

I mean where is he going to get the votes? If he wins the nomination you'll see a third party candidate from the right emerge as an independent like '92.

I agree to the extent that Rudy will have trouble gaining the republican nomination. However, all republican nominees are in a tough spot because, as much as they would like to distance themselves from G.W., they don't want to distance themselves from the affection of the Christian right. This will be similar to the democratic scramble for the nomination last election in that it will have ups and downs with no huge favorite.... and they'll ultimately probably lose.

They can't go to the hard right people anymore. American public is tired of slash and burn politics of Rove. Republicans have to distance themselves from the Christian Right and the Neo cons and Bush people to win the next election. Problem is there base is the far right now and they can lose the moderates again.

And another factor is Iraq. If Iraq isn't fixed Republicans have absolutely no shot and you'll see democrats gain 15 seats or so in the Senate (seriously no joke there is 22 republicans in the Senate up for election next year). Can you say Super Majority? Thats why you are seeing the 'gang of 14' people run away from Bush like he has the plague (which he does politically). Anyone who is still with Bush by Nov. '08 is pretty much toast. Everyone knows this.

Now people are going to say well the Dems are in charge in the House and Senate. True. But the way the power is now (the white house has never had this much power) the congress is powerless and Bush decides when it end this or not. Congress can cut all the funding in the world but as long as Bush wants the troops there driving around Baghdad as sitting targets they will be there. And by all indications Bush has said Iraq is not my problem but the next presidents problem. In other words: Democratic President, whomever is still with Bush in the Congress in '08 will be gone.

Its the 1960's all over again for the Republicans when they all got swept out of congress.

If you don't vote for Chuck, you'll die myteriously due to a roundhouse kick to the face!

Seriously, though, how could you not vote for a man who can count to infinity, divide by zero, and knows the alst digit of pi? :lol:

If you can see Chuck Norris, you could be dead in 3 seconds. If you can't see him... you might not have that long.

PTG: I think you're right on point. I agree. maybe not that many seats, but the dems definitely have momentum and Bush is being ungodly hard-headed on Iraq.

PTG: I think you're right on point. I agree. maybe not that many seats, but the dems definitely have momentum and Bush is being ungodly hard-headed on Iraq.

Yup it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out 22 Republican Senators are up for re-election a lot of them are from 'blue states' in New England. The people like Olivia Snow are sweating bullets.