The '08 Presidential Election Thread

Pierre the Great

Democrats:

Hillary (officially in)

Obama (officially in will announce next month)

Edwards (officially in)

Richardson (will be in soon)

Long Shots:

Vilsack (he's in but I'm not much influence outside of Iowa)

Biden (I feel bad for this guy, great senator, great person but just doesn't have the it factor)

Dodd (Don't know why he's in here he'll be out after Iowa)

Gravel (Who? exactly a guy from Alaska nobody knows about)

Kucinich (the grass roots democrat, he's got no shot but he helps the party)

Republicans:

McCain (front runner, but is he too old, plus he's still not 'conservative' enough for the republican base)

Guiliani (wild wild wild card, he's not really a republican anymore, Rockefeller republicans are dead, but he's the wild card)

Romney (is he really a conservative? He's flipped flopped on social issues to look conservative. Then there's like it or not the Mormon factor)

Brownback (he's really conservative, very conservative, plays well to the base but is the american public tired of another religious right candidate. If this was '00 I'd give him a good shot but now I don't think so.)

Gilmore- (ex Virginia gov. southern accent old style southern republican. He has the policy for the conservatives but isn't flashy enough nor has the it factor in a general election)

Gingrich- (the guy is another wild card, but its not '94 anymore)

Huckabee- ex Arkansas gov., lost a ton of weight, doesn't really have that wow factor.

Hagel- good senator, anti Iraq war now, but he's too much senatorial.

Long Shots:

Tancredo- if this guy wins the world will fall apart, nobody likes an anti immigrants, he went to a confederacy convention and sang the Dixie song, hates Hispanic people. I do not like him and neither do a lot of people. If he wins the nomination all republicans will be taken out of office and if he somehow wins they're be an insurrection. no joke.

Pataki- too many new yorkers in the race this year

Bloomberg (hasn't decided yet)- see Pataki

Cox- who?

Smith- who?

Thomson- lol this is comical

Who yeah got?

Go Condalisa Go!!!!

Can you imagine that... a black woman as president...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Nobody associated with the Bush administration is going to even run in '08 sorry.

i understand that but, down the road, i wonder if condalisa rice would be a good candidate... she's very smart and, as far as i understand, she's respected by much of the us population...

She couldn't ever live down the Iraq thing. Plus with the environment becoming an issue finally she's out because she was on Chevron's board. Plus she's said a billion times she wants to go back to Stanford ASAP.

oh and she's not married. This might sound silly but if you want to be in politics in america you have to be married or you can get "Harold Forded"

Go Condalisa Go!!!!

Can you imagine that... a black woman as president...

It's Condoleeza.

I doubt any women becomes the Democratic or Republican nominee because women are still not respected world wide. I wish it was not true but it is.

I agree with you, but disagree with your reasoning. Women have been leaders in other developed countries, so it doesn't follow logically that some outside world-wide force holds them out of political leadership positions. I'd love to see Condi run, but she has the W cloud over her head, and Hillary Clinton is tough to put in the race because her image still needs a lot of work, and there's a pocket of the country that will not vote for her and won't consider it. She has become a darling of the liberal-slanted, east-coast-bias media machine. I'd be interested to see how she fares in primaries in the midwest... she could easily pull a Howard Dean and tank.

Obama in '08.

It's Condoleeza.

I agree with you, but disagree with your reasoning. Women have been leaders in other developed countries, so it doesn't follow logically that some outside world-wide force holds them out of political leadership positions. I'd love to see Condi run, but she has the W cloud over her head, and Hillary Clinton is tough to put in the race because her image still needs a lot of work, and there's a pocket of the country that will not vote for her and won't consider it. She has become a darling of the liberal-slanted, east-coast-bias media machine. I'd be interested to see how she fares in primaries in the midwest... she could easily pull a Howard Dean and tank.

I hate how everything has become liberal-conservative when people who think they're giant lefties in this country are centrists or shudder conservatives in most western countries.

And another thing conservatives are liberals too. Its called neo-liberalism. Such idiots. I wish the far right would stop demonizing but then again we are talking about far right america supposed 'voice of reason' in america.

Liberal slanted media? Please who supported the Iraq Invasion? Every single newspaper/media outlet. Conservatives are paranoid thinking people are after them.

I think it's a little too early to put this thread up. But here's my two cents anyway.

The scariest thing about American politics?

It's the most powerful nation in the world whether you're talking economics or military strength. And who decides who gets to run said country? A populace where a sizeable percentage can't identify Iraq or North Korea on a map.

GOD HELP US ALL!

David Bowie said it best - "I'm afraid of Americans."

Actually its not the first debates are in less then 2 months time.

Yeah or most powerful country on the earth where the president is elected on 'social' wedge issues.

I've gotten yield over this before but if (insert a dictator) ran for the US Presidency and said he was anti abortion he would win if he ran in a certain party.

When people put 'social morality' issues above else we are screwed as a nation.

I think the republicans really have the upper hand in candidate quality.

-McCain is one of the most senior, well known and lauded senators

-Guliuni has quite a successful record running America's largest city, and also looked like a superstar from the way he handled 9-11

-Romney has a spectacular management record running a large state, as well as private companies. And as a republican who governed a liberal state, he has a bipartisan track record.

For the Democrats their only equal would really be Clinton, but she has a lot of baggage. Their other candidates seem like jokes. Anyways, I guess it would be an interesting campaign, hillary probably has the best chance against McCain, against the other two I don't think she stacks up well.

I think the republicans really have the upper hand in candidate quality.

-McCain is one of the most senior, well known and lauded senators

-Guliuni has quite a successful record running America's largest city, and also looked like a superstar from the way he handled 9-11

-Romney has a spectacular management record running a large state, as well as private companies. And as a republican who governed a liberal state, he has a bipartisan track record.

For the Democrats their only equal would really be Clinton, but she has a lot of baggage. Their other candidates seem like jokes. Anyways, I guess it would be an interesting campaign, hillary probably has the best chance against McCain, against the other two I don't think she stacks up well.

McCain is done. He wants more troops in Iraq and now that Bush put more troops in Iraq thats really going to hurt McCain in a general election. Then in the primaries he is seen as not really conservative enough.

Guiliani was a joke of a mayor. His approval ratings were around Bush's number now until 9/11 happened. The guy is also a mean SOB he divorced his second wife on a press conference and his 2nd wife learned they were getting a divorce by reading the papers. For the primaries he's pro gun control, pro gay marriage, pro womens rights thats not going to go over well in Iowa and South Carolina.

Romney is a flip flopper. He was pro womens rights, gay marriage etc. etc. thats how he got elected in Mass., it was under his watch that Massachusetts started gay marriages. And then there's the Mormon factor. If he was a democrat his religion wouldn't be a problem because democrats are more accepting but rural south carolina and Iowa republicans, not so much.

Anybody but Clinton.. they're is something about that woman I just cant stand, I just dont know why.

I think you put way too much importance on how well someone sells in the deep south, its like the same way some democrats put way too much importance on what greenpeace, UN worshippers and trotskyites think of someone, it really doesnt matter in the end cuz these people are gonna vote for your party anyways, cuz the alternative for them of not voting and having the other party win is way worse.

Although I agree it is important in the primaries, but iif the wrong candidate gets pushed through by fringe types in the primaries, it can cost the party the real prize of the election. Just look at the way the internet lefties pushing Lamont through in the primary, only to have him get killed in the real election.

I think you put way too much importance on how well someone sells in the deep south, its like the same way some democrats put way too much importance on what greenpeace, UN worshippers and trotskyites think of someone, it really doesnt matter in the end cuz these people are gonna vote for your party anyways, cuz the alternative for them of not voting and having the other party win is way worse.

Although I agree it is important in the primaries, but iif the wrong candidate gets pushed through by fringe types in the primaries, it can cost the party the real prize of the election. Just look at the way the internet lefties pushing Lamont through in the primary, only to have him get killed in the real election.

Yes in the end in the general public people just vote for the parties. But everyone knows primaries are different. The real 'grass roots' people come out in the primaries. If you are not aligned with the 'mainstream' of your party in the primaries you don't have a snowballs chance in hell.

Its the way the system is set up. Only people that vote in primaries are 'party people'. Then when the general public votes they end up doing the 'lesser of two evils' vote. I here it all the time. The problem with the two parties is that its really 4 parties in 2. They truly need to split up the parties.

True democrats are centrists. True republicans are small government with personal freedoms.

Left: can merge with the greens and become social democratic labour party.

Democrats: Centrists, liberalism

Republicans: Progressive Conservatives, freedom of choice, small government

Neo-Conservatives-Religious Right Party: Pretty much what the Republican party is now.

Then they need to go to government funded elections allow other parties into the debate. This brings the cost down and promotes more ideas.

Will it ever happen, hell no not in a million years. But it should.

Sadly, I don't see a woman getting power, though I think Clinton is probably the best choice. Also, I don't see a black person getting enough southern votes, so I think Obama is out. In fact, I'd be somewhat surprised if either won the Democratic leadership, let alone the presidency. I'd like to see McCain win the Republican nomination, if only because he's not an extremist the way the bulk of his party seems to be these days.

Unfortunately, I see Giuliani winning the Republican nomination and winning the next election unless the Democrats can put something together quickly. I feel that party is still in disarray.

Well, early days anyhow. Time will tell.

I'd prefer to see Jon Stewart win. That guy knows more about politics than half the damn politicians he interviews.

I think Rudy's popularity across the board would cancel out the votes he would lose for not being a hardline Republican.

As for McCain, he seems to have more liberal stances then Republican stances, so I don't think he stands a chance, since he doesn't have the popularity Giuliani does to make up for it.

I think Rudy's popularity across the board would cancel out the votes he would lose for not being a hardline Republican.

As for McCain, he seems to have more liberal stances then Republican stances, so I don't think he stands a chance, since he doesn't have the popularity Giuliani does to make up for it.

The thing with Rudy is that people only remember him for 9/11 and not the roller coaster disaster his mayorship was before 9/11. His approval ratings were Bush like before 9/11 happened. He's a hot head and is very bully like. I don't think thats what the American people want.

The thing with Rudy is that people only remember him for 9/11 and not the roller coaster disaster his mayorship was before 9/11. His approval ratings were Bush like before 9/11 happened. He's a hot head and is very bully like. I don't think thats what the American people want.

Thing is, only thing people will remember is the post 9-11. I know I don't remember him being hated before that.

Look up Rudy the guy was a punk. He divorced his second wife through a press conference, he kicked her out of the mayors house so he could live with his gf while they were still married.

Early polls are on name recognition. Rudy has no chance when people look into his past and his ideas completely clash with Republican ideology.

pro womens rights

pro stem cell

pro gay marriage and gay rights (he always went to the gay pride events in New York)

pro gun control

He's got no chance.

Look up Rudy the guy was a punk. He divorced his second wife through a press conference, he kicked her out of the mayors house so he could live with his gf while they were still married.

Early polls are on name recognition. Rudy has no chance when people look into his past and his ideas completely clash with Republican ideology.

pro womens rights

pro stem cell

pro gay marriage and gay rights (he always went to the gay pride events in New York)

pro gun control

He's got no chance.

Punk or not, his name is synonymous with the 9/11 stuff in New York and all I hear is positive stuff about everything he did there.

President Rudy Giuliani. Doesn't sound too good rolling off the tongue, but I spose I'll get used to it.

he just can't win the republican nomination. He completely goes against the parties beliefs. If he was a dem he'd be a shoe in. But he's a Rockefeller Republican. Those guys are ancient and dead in the republican party now. He represents what the Republican party used to stand for but now that the party has been hijacked for over 30 years he has no shot.

I mean where is he going to get the votes? If he wins the nomination you'll see a third party candidate from the right emerge as an independent like '92.